Discussion About long chinese novels.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by kgggdkp2012, Mar 17, 2020.

Tags:
  1. kgggdkp2012

kgggdkp2012 Void ReapeR(8th grade syndrome patient)

Reading List:
    Link
    how can these Chinese authors keep typing the same shit over and over again without getting tired?
    And don't Chinese readers get tired of reading these things?
    example - atg, sotr, mga, and many more.

Varsity74 likes this.
  2. Wu Jizun

Wu Jizun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why spin a race narrative when there are people of numerous ethnic backgrounds reading the translations and translating them constantly? Some are so desperate that they MTL.

Why do I keep eating rice daily? Because I like it.

Snowbun likes this.
  3. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You already said the reason why without realizing it.

otaku31 and InvincibleDespair like this.
  4. kgggdkp2012

kgggdkp2012 Void ReapeR(8th grade syndrome patient)

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not putting a race narrative I am just asking if they don't get tired.
    I also like Chinese novel while I am not Chinese.
    I also like the novels you are translating.

5. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because it sells. Look at the Western market. How many "superheroes" are there and how many times did they get "recycled"? In fact, look at the current wave of movie "remakes" like the A-team and Ghostbusters and Charlie's Angels and you'll see recycling in action too. It's cheap easy "kills" that target new people to the franchise. The older audience would be bored of repeated stuff but to the newbies, it's still fresh.

Snowbun, otaku31, Wu Jizun and 4 others like this.
  6. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't it because they got a quota to reach? "Must post 3k words daily, but my plot is done for today....so let's add more adjectives here. Oh, let's have a cat passing the streets here, everyone loves cats. Let's have the wind suddenly blowing here and get the skirts uplifted...hey, I reached 3k." - These kind of situations...
    -whoops quoted wrong post

7. InvincibleDespair

InvincibleDespair Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't see a japanese novel with 2000+ chapters or any other 'race' novels.
    Also does bible count as one of those big novels?

8. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You just listed novels which are considered ass by the chinese readers. In fact the vast majority of translated CNs are considered garbage by the native audience. And yeah, paid by word count is a horrible incentive.

Thecomicgeek, baka8roukanako and imK like this.
  9. InvincibleDespair

InvincibleDespair Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its probably because of how they publish their chapters that most novels become so lengthy.

baka8roukanako likes this.
  10. Feng Tian

Reading List:
    Link
    The "bible" is the work of many authors over a span of decades, if not centuries. Its writing is also among the worst I have ever seen. If you wanna read more entertaining fiction I'd recommend the Edda.

imK and InvincibleDespair like this.
  11. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    No capes.
    Oh wait, that's Edna, not Edda.:p

imK likes this.
  12. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    One of the other problems I note is that Chinese is a "descriptive" language. In English, something can be described in one adjective and you can be done with it but Chinese does not have short descriptions, hence all the long winded scenery and people intros, their language simply can't make it short. Not helped if the character intro is "bouncy big rabbits" and "snake waists".

You can also see this tendency in their overblown xianxia measurement descriptions. Lots of razzmatazz but not much "hard" numbers.

imK likes this.
  13. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    My religion teacher at my Catholic school will agree that it is a collection of books and there was no singular author. Like many religious texts, it is inspired religious manuscripts. It;s designed as a text to be studied and reflected on with religion in mind. No way, it is a novel since the timeline and the 'plot' if you call it as such would make no goddamn sense. Even if the verses were sung, I will can't make sense of it.

14. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, wasn't the order of the Books arranged chronologically when they compiled it? That would mean the timeline is fine. I would agree on the plot though since there is a lot of different genre mixed into it.

15. Wu Jizun

Wu Jizun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You specified Chinese readers when it's not just Chinese readers constantly reading them. Can we agree specifying race wasn't necessary?

Also, some of the authors don't want to keep writing but are strong armed into writing more.

16. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    Kinda Yes to the Old testament. My teacher told me back then that sometimes, it is treated as a very loose historical account since this part, in a way, chronically accounts the history of the Jews. How accurate they are is the part I don't know. IIRC correctly, it's more arranged by themes - a good reason why Genesis/Creation is the first book and the last book is Revelations/Doomsday.

In the New testament (the section part of the Jesus), it more blurred since it was accounts of the disciples.

Classifying the Bible is tricky since it is a collection of books and POVs. Sure, you get your religious and moral technicians. But there are also a ton of historical accounts (which are also disputed) and there is the inherent bias of the writer is obvious.

17. Feng Tian

Reading List:
    Link
    General rule of thumb is that this "book" ain't worth the toilet paper it was written on, in almost every regard. It's not internaly consistent, even if it is the same author, and large amounts are copypasta from works predating it (While ruining them in the process.). The historical accouns also generally don't make any sense. And srsly, if you derive your morals from that mess you'd end up in prison 100%. Among others it promotes slavery, polygamy, rape (including children), general mysogyny and ethnical cleansings. And not just one version or a single book of it, and definitely not only the old testament either. Its a complete mess.

18. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    During a TP crisis, you just had to use that analogy?

19. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey hey hey, don't start a religious war lol. If you want to complain that religions start wars, you shouldn't start wars as an atheist too lol.

20. ishaaq khan

ishaaq khan Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We all are hypocrites who, doesn't have anything to do.... So we will waste our saliva here by debating on which is good or bad...... We each and every person on this post reads those damn novels and watch those same superhero films while we are here saying saintly words..... Oh please we all like to read to, novels even though they are repetitive... Because they are tha good.... And we watch films because there are no other things to, do except reading and watching.....