Question what was your fav way to measure potential in novels you read?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by eros, Mar 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eros

eros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm curious, what was your fav method a novel used to measure potential of the mc or other characters? like they touch something and it shown a different color to indicate their potential?

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  2. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not novel but here:

C class hero, btw.
    Atleast he upgraded to B now.

3. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I liked the awakening ceremony in Reverend Insanity, where they walked across a stream and into a flowerbed filled with hope gu as far as they can go until their aperture opens and the distance they travelled is indicative of how much primordial essence they have.

Although I'm not sure if I liked that because of the ceremony itself or because of the story going on at the time they did it, as well as the first Legend of Ren Zu

4. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me it depends on the genre that I'm reading. Not all methods will work in all novels, so my favorites are the ones that fit into the story without being obvious about it.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  5. Lswarmruler

Lswarmruler 『Anya, The Cutest Esper Loli』《Spy x Family Manga》

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, in most xuanhuan novels that i read my fav method would be " measuring willpower by walking thru endless stairs and one by one would fall thru illussion and only mc left walking alone"

Diametric likes this.
  6. Shaiyamine

Shaiyamine Reader of Novels, Slave to the Screen

Reading List:
    Link
    I never really thought about it. Now that I do I guess for me it has to be the ones that are easy to stick to my head. For example levels in a leveling system. They're pretty easy and direct to remember so I like them. When it comes to systems with Names as measurement like earth level, knight, King, emperor, sky, etc. Somehow my brain doesn't register them as much so I have a hard time keeping track of who's stronger than who.

mir likes this.
  7. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel the lamest means to measure potential is punching a (magic) device. Yeah, they can hit hard, but what does that have to do with his overall combat ability, such as agility, perception, decision making, endurance, pain tolerance, etc. If you're going to bundle all that in a summary from a single device, then you might as well go with a simple palm touch.

If you want something a bit more high tech, the person can enter a booth or chamber device (powered by Crystal's, of course) which can show in real time the person's aura and elemental affinity (or whatever) as they "power up" or activate skills.

8. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Comparing the potential of the Red-Eyes Black Dragon with the power of the Blue-Eyes White Dragon~

9. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel most of the time when "potential" is measured it is just bullshit, so I'll rather just keep it to old fashioned observation/assessment based on character.

mir and Fuyuneko like this.
  10. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer there to be no measure of potential since it's always subverted or pointless. 'Oh no, the MC's potential is nonexistent.' Next chapter: The MC finds a thing that gives them unlimited potential.

It just adds to the word count of the novel without adding much in the way of substance.

mir, Nimroth and Fuyuneko like this.
  11. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not entirely invested on this certain part of a novel, it used to hyped the MC during the early stages of the novel but it will eventually lose it's charm. Specially when it comes to the part where the MC will beat those n+1-3 level.

n = MC's current level.

Anyway they're basically the same thing, they just use a different number or names. Maybe except for Emperor's Domination. ED's level measurement is too messy, I didn't even bother to comprehend it and fully give up at around ch 300.

12. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Checking the bones for potential for future cultivation. Because it is simple but also mysterious how the answer is determined, but no matter what, it never takes more than a few seconds in story.

(It feels like BS though. But like @Jeebus said, potential in stories doesn't matter in front of the mc's plot armor/golden finger. At least the bones test is fast.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.