Discussion Should I buy the Dune novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by HappyHavak, Mar 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    Been looking at picking up the Dune series since I've heard nothing but good things about it. Only issue is that even the e-book versions are pricey. To anyone who has read em are they worth the price?

imK likes this.
  2. samzee

samzee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try the library and/or find a sample of the book to read to give it a try. I know the library has some of the book as it's rather old and well-known sci-fi book. It's a rather complicated book to read (more tune toward adult with university or higher writing). I've played the game, and watch the movies, and than I tried the book. Oh man, oh man. I've given up after maybe 5-10 pages as the writing was beyond me at the time (I was a high school senior and toward university age at the time). And I haven't gotten the time or commitment to try again.

If you're really into the old-style sci-fi, than its probably worth it but I would seriously suggest giving it a try first before committing to it. It's a long series.

imK likes this.
  3. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    My local library is closed due to the virus....

4. samzee

samzee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    https://archive.org/details/DuneSeriesPDF/page/n3/mode/2up
    Here it is. It’s a 50 year old series, just read it for free.

Sircus and anon like this.
  6. kkchaitu

kkchaitu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe see if its available in digital edition in your local library. I have only read the first book and it was pretty good. As for the rest, I plan to read them sometime in the future

7. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The first book is cheap on kindle last time I checked (I think it is $2 in Canada, not sure about other countries). It should be worth a purchase at least.
    If I recall, 50 years does not end the copyright. works outside the copyright can be downloaded for free legally, otherwise it is criminal.

8. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    I also heard plenty of good things about it, though was never interested enough to read it. My only concern is that even if I was into that genre, after reading so many (both good and bad) novels would those “classics” still interest me? Like I remember I used to love Call of the Wild, but if I were to read it for the first time now? I doubt I’d have the same “wonderful” feeling about it today as I did before. Oh now I want to re-read it.

9. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I read it when I think I was 12? I remember enjoying it. I read a couple of the sequels, but I didn’t enjoy them as much, or perhaps it was because I waited too long to read them after the first, so with distance I became less invested in the universe.

10. Mufarasu

Mufarasu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Gotta get that spice.

11. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless it's very remote and shipping costs a lot, you could probably get most of the books for less than 10 € each I believe, though i'm not necessarily sure.

It's been a while since I did read them, but from what I can remember (only seen the movie, might get into the TV series for the sequel books later) there are some differences like there always is between books made to movies, but I couldn't tell if you would like it or not really.

12. S.a.w..

S.a.w.. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Only the first book is good, the second went downhill and I never finished the third.

13. jgfenix

jgfenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The first one is a masterpiece, the rest are entertaining but not so good but I would give them a try. I can't comment about the ones written by the son.

14. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    I bought the first book and disliked it. I couldn't get past the first one hundred pages.

15. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually love sci fi and fantasy and world building that borders on convuluted, but while i read and understood everything and did not dislike it, i found the first dune book lackluster and it did not inspire me to read the others. I do like the 80s movie for its epic cheesiness that is centerpiece to all the cult classic b movies. Overall i would say its a great set of stories when read in a comprehensive summary like wiki but just a little weak in the knees in the actual novelization.

16. Deleted member 213850

Deleted member 213850 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I love the first book so much, the next volumes are alright and it all wraps up nicely in the end. It's satisfying in the long run but you have to go through a lot of hurdles.

17. enkiros

enkiros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  18. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    Just the first one will do. A bit downhill from there

19. Sircus

Sircus [Well-Known God]

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't it a very depressing series that depicts their struggles when they, in fact, have no hope? The setting is kinda interesting but the characters are what killed it for a lot of people from what I understand?

20. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As much as I like Muad'dib, I would recommend against buying it until you have at least done a "pre-read" from your library. It really is a "not for everyone" series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.