Recommendations a protagonist who had seen an eldritch horror

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by MiraculousEagle, Mar 18, 2020.

1. MiraculousEagle

MiraculousEagle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    im looking for a protagonist who saw a eldritch horror through some reason or another perhaps he was a sacrifice but they performed it incorrectly

he gained some powers but he has some kind of drawback because of it like he got seriously injured during the rebound of the failure, or he see unspeakable horrors, he could have pain while using he powers, start to go insane during the use but will regain his sanity after a period of rest, has been branded and if sought after by cultists, has bouts of mental breakdown at random or will using his powers.

he shouldn’t be some person with great destiny who has drawn the acknowledgment of the being the ritual was aimed at because he not the first wont be the last and isn’t all that special. (when i said he would be sought by cultists it would be more of them wanting him for materials or to take the marking or something off his body because it grants the wearer power and not because they were specifically directed to by their being of worship at most it was an overall order like kill tainted ones or something like that)

the benefits and detriments of the ritual both to him and the cultists who performed it should be just due to the general presence or aura of the being not because it actively willed it to happen

the protagonist should have powers that fit within the limits of that world and not be insane so not op he can get insane strength maybe even reach the pinnacle of others like him but both with time and effort to understand and grow his power like i said he’s not special there are others like him they all are people he’s not the center of the story’s universe just the story

no harem because those almost always devolve into the mc’s having to stop his fluff and smut to do the “boring action and story” i dont mind romance as long as it’s doesn’t put a jarring divide between the story progression

the protagonist can start young at the accident but i would appreciate if they grow up by a few years in the next 10-20 chapters

male protagonist

any kind of power system is okay as long as his power actually is in that system and he’s not the sole person with it there are other people who gained power that way and are even alive today it doesn’t have to be huge because there would be maybe 5 created in a big city that alive at the same time they probably would not be created for awhile there might be a mass of lightly powered people considering im wanting the failed ritual which would probably come with greater benefits but also hugely chanced risks and greater detriments so the success would give them powers but much weaker because it removes the risks and decreases detriments

no reincarnation, or transmigration rebirth is okay if they were from that world and they just retained memories because of the exposure

if you think it is genuinely good and at at least has the first two points and want more people to experience it ill read it

2. phucanhcr02

phucanhcr02 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. MiraculousEagle

Reading List:
    Link
    not really what im looking for i do like it though and am already reading it

4. Normie Extermination Committee

Normie Extermination Committee [Toilet Sniffer] [ Grand Master of Underlings]

Reading List:
    Link
    Averroes93 likes this.
  5. MiraculousEagle

Reading List:
    Link
    you didn’t even spell it right did anyone actually read all of it because i sure as hell not going to

6. Zfglx

Zfglx Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read it all the way through. The novel might as well be an actual Eldritch tome for its contents strain the sanity of the reader. But really the titular Invisible Dragon is clearly and Eldritch being of immense power.

7. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    Aren't you being overly specific about the story you want?

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/29669/love-crafted - it doesn't contain most of what you want, but I figured I'd mention it anyway. I've only read a few chapters so far, so I can't offer an opinion about it yet.

Monster Hunter International
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F7NGF35?searchxofy=true&ref_=dbs_s_aps_series_rwt
    It's been a while since I've read this, so I can't remember which book it was, but the MC did accidentally go into the eldritch realm briefly while fighting the bad guys and was affected.

trag23 likes this.
  8. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    The closest I can think of (though I didn't read your post all that closely), is The Eldritch Horror Returns To Earth, But Things Are A Bit Different. Short version of the introduction, not in the order presented in story: MC starts going to school alongside his sister. He suddenly and confusingly finds himself to now be a slug in a magical world. He evolves until he becomes one of the local Horror Gods, and somehow stumbles back to Earth while still being an Horrific Slug-Monster of unspeakable power. It turns out that he left and returned in the exact same moment on Earth, but upon his return Earth starts changing.

9. MiraculousEagle

Reading List:
    Link
    those are the ideals the one thing i see as necessary is that the power has detriments and their not op

10. MiraculousEagle

Reading List:
    Link
    in that sense i guess you right but im looking for the protagonist to be someone who gained powers and detriments with it after viewing such a being of such immense power

not really at all what i asked for but sounds pretty dope and is something i asked for once but never got a reply why can we have some mosters protagonist who are established and an being similar to eldritch horrors

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2020
  11. Zfglx

Zfglx Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well you can think of the dragons general lack of higher brain function as the price it pays for invincibility.

12. MiraculousEagle

Reading List:
    Link
    ill try reading love crafted but it doesn’t seem like ill like it ill give it ten chapters though

13. MiraculousEagle

Reading List:
    Link
    didn’t you not read any thing but the tittle and skimmed my reply im looking for a person who saw and was effected by a eldritch horror in some way leading to him gaining a power but with some kinda of consequence like losing and arm, gaining a massive wound, his mind being tainted due to viewing the being, his power having steep if temporary consequences during use stuff like that also not op which is what Invisible Dragon is

14. MrBugaw

MrBugaw Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I sometimes wonder why anyone bothers to read anything other than Invisible Dragon.

15. Averroes93

Averroes93 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Read it all in a single sitting. The novel itself is an eldritch horror.

16. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Threadbare
    Only a minor appearance, cultists were trying to summon the thing but it was perfectly happy living in its own realm. Its kid is involved in the story though.

17. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    -sees wall of text-

.....how about writing one?

18. MiraculousEagle

Reading List:
    Link
    im already bad enough at structuring sentences thank you

19. MiraculousEagle

Reading List:
    Link
    no confidence im my writing skills

20. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tales of Herding Gods???- graet world building and mysterious spots and scenes although mc benefit from most of them.