Quarantine Food: Rice and Beans Recipes

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Femme Fatale, Mar 18, 2020.

1. lamb19

lamb19 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hola @Femme Fatale, (≧∇≦)/
    yo si que he comido arroz con leche aunque más como postre.

Femme Fatale likes this.
  2. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    *squees around happily and flaunts the forum rules one time to say....*

Me pregunto si lo que has comido es lo que yo llamo arroz con dulce...que es maravilloso como postre o desayuno. >_>

3. lamb19

lamb19 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it has sugar then i did!
    ( ◞・౪・)

Femme Fatale likes this.
  4. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    that is damn nice. ^.^ We add raisins or sultanas in PR. But any dried fruit should do...and canella/cinamon. :aww::aww::aww::aww: I'll post that recipe sometime or you can look it up. It's super yum.

5. lamb19

lamb19 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    (º ﹃ º )

Femme Fatale likes this.
  6. TooLazyToThink

TooLazyToThink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Our country is in lockdown and there are signs of food shortage. Maybe in the near future I'll only eat rice and salt

7. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't like your response because :(. If you can get a wee bit of milk, even powdered milk, you can use it to make the rice soup I'm going to post next. Or if you can get your hands on stock, even chicken or beef stock, you can make a congee I think (I'm going to try a recipe I found cause I've never tried it before and it sounded super easy to make).

8. lin1339

lin1339 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Go to a more rural area. I'm in a big city and every dry food is almost gone (we asians don't use toilet paper much) but i went to neigboring small town and find everything still stocked up. It only took 40mins 1 way.

felidormit, imK and mir like this.
  9. brigs11

brigs11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You'd think toilet paper was edible with how people were panic buying them by the grocery cart. I don't get why toilet paper fly off the shelves first whenever something happens, before even thinking of wiping it off you need to have food so there's actually something to wipe off afterwards in the first place.

felidormit, imK and lamb19 like this.
  10. brigs11

Reading List:
    Link
    Crunchy rice at the bottom of the pot advice, please. I've tried oiling the bottom, putting butter there, adding salt, but none of them worked o I just went with putting corn husks there to keep the rice from sticking. This is a stainless steel pot.

11. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    Is to a thick bottomed pot?

12. brigs11

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, copper core. Single serving though so it's a small one, I think 1-2 qt.

imK and Femme Fatale like this.
  13. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm....

Try turning your pot on a lowest heat setting when simmering. I have an electric stove and find I have to put mess around with stove settings for a while before I get the right one for each stove. Usually, it's the halfway point between 0 to 1 setting. Crazy, huh? If you are using a gas stove top, it might also be the flame is too strong, so still experiment with heat settings.

If that doesn't work, then go for the medium sized pot. I find that when I do larger portions of rice I have to up to a larger pot. I'm not sure why. There is probably some physics reason regarding volume of steam and rice quantities. :hmm::hmm::hmm: I just do it and it works.

It could also be a combination of the two above. :blobpeek::blobpeek::blobpeek:

14. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm more popular than ever at the moment. Decent fish is anywhere between 30-50 nzd per kilo and a lot of people in New Zealand either don't or can't fish, so I've been swapping all my extras with friends and people I met online for honey, eggs, fruit, vegetables, dairy and meat. Keeping the pipis (cockles/clams) and paua (nz abalone) though. The first is my favourite type of shellfish. The second I'm keeping in reserve since I don't go diving that often.

felidormit, brigs11 and Femme Fatale like this.
  15. brigs11

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah a bigger pot would fix most of my issues due to it being able to spread out the heat more across a larger surface area but I live in a dorm with limited space and would rather not use provided cooking supplies(who knows where those have been?) in the dorm kitchen(kind of dirty tbh). I cook at 1 with my electric stove but haven't tried setting it in the area in between so I'll give that a try.

felidormit, imK and Femme Fatale like this.
  16. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    That is awesome.

I've never tried pipis....I've heard of them, but never tried them. I'd love a good recipe on those...and how to find them, etc.

My hubby used to dive when he was younger, but never ate the stuff, he would do what you did...trade for it. He's also an apiarist, though we don't have bees anymore... (it's heavy/hard work)....but it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO satisfying to have your own honey.

Youngest daughter loves bees. She has her own bee suit since she was a little kid. She used to go to the hives and talk to them....read them books and 'save' them. XD Good times.

felidormit and imK like this.
  17. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope it works. :) If you try it, I'd love to know if the tip worked for you.

imK and brigs11 like this.