Discussion How do you define "reality"?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lazriser, Mar 18, 2020.

1. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    All that which exists

imK likes this.
  2. RenAshdoll

RenAshdoll God of the Wired

Reading List:
    Link
    “...people live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true... that is how they define reality. But what does it mean to be correct or true? Merely vague concepts... their reality may all be an illusion.”
    ― Kishimoto Masashi Uchiha Itachi - chapter 385

This ^ :blobpopcorn:

3. Teadragon

Teadragon Book Wyrm

Reading List:
    Link
    We spend our lives misinterpreting Reality.

4. bromnath

bromnath Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The set of all things which have the potential to change my state (physical, mental, emotional, etc), both directly and indirectly.

imK likes this.
  5. GreyPancake

GreyPancake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Am i the only one that googled what it meant before trying to sound all philosophical on fantasy forum ?

I would say reality is just experienced defined.As long as it is experienced once i would assume its real even if the laws of the universe deem it not so,like ppl saying jesus walked on water lol.Its probably not real but enough ppl believe for it to be their reality.

imK likes this.
  6. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My reality right now is... no work. Food for 2 months. Dont known when they will shut down electricity, water and gas and my country said state of cstastrophe for at least 3 months... and we will recieve no aid at all from the goverment. We are on our own...from Chile

7. Al93we

Al93we Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What one percieves as reality is a construct ones brain generates based on sensory input. As such reality is an illusion you can't break out of.
    For instance if you end up locked in a video game, i'd consider said game reality for as long i'm unable to logout, regardless of how "realistic" said game was.

mir likes this.
  8. mizzu321

mizzu321 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reality is what I Perceive that made my own world, each person has their own reality that unique to each other

9. lordbeirut

lordbeirut Emperor of Perdition

Reading List:
    Link
    Trying to give it more than one definition is a slippery slope you don't wanna go down. Just stick with the "official" definition, it's better for peace of mind.

10. Dat_Karma

Dat_Karma Still Here

Reading List:
    Link
    What I believe is real

imK likes this.
  11. Rakka

Rakka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The main point about reality is Information.
    Your 5 senses can perceive the change around you, the obvious ones and sometimes the ones that's inconspicuous.
    Your brain retain that information as memories, some for a short period of time and some maybe there until you die.
    Where in simulated/virtual/dream-state ''reality", there's a lack of information going through your 5 senses and if there is memories recorded, it wasn't long for it to fade away. Because maybe your brain know that those kind of information wasn't worth to keep, as it won't affect your 'real' life.
    Well... Enough, I need my brain to rest for today.

imK and TokioftheBel like this.
  12. Alfha Robby

Alfha Robby Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    reality is a shitty game, most thing never work the way you expect and want, something that you perceive doesn't mean its a reality.

13. yuzen

yuzen ⚝Ńihilisťič⚝

Reading List:
    Link
    There is no reality exists when it comes to you, me or another. Let me take "you" as an example. A different version of "you" exists in the mind of everyone who knows you. The person you think of "yourself" exists only for you, even you don't really know who that is. Every person you meet, have a relationship with, or make eye contact in street with, creates a version of "you" in their heads, you're not the same person to your mom, your dad, your siblings than to your friends, your co-workers, or to your neighbours. There are a thousand different versions of "you" of yourself out there in people mind's. A "you" exists in each version, and yet "you" "yourself", isn't really "someone" at all, this is the reality you are eager to know, this is not only for people it could be for anything, I suppose...

TokioftheBel likes this.
  14. Alvastar

Alvastar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Your perception of the world. That's the simplest answer.

Everyone's perception of the world is influenced by their own life experiences, values, etc. so each person experiences the world differently. It's also why the world around us is as large or as small as we make it, even if the physical world suggests otherwise.

I met a woman once who had spent a few years confined to a small room. It wasn't prison, but it wasn't far off. She retreated into herself and developed a mental world that would put even the most devout mindscape developer to shame. When she was released, she spent the next several years writing books about "her travels". It was both how she coped with her "reality" expanding physically, and trying to convey her inner world to everyone else.

mir, imK, yuzen and 1 other person like this.
  15. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    Earth is flat and the sun is a DEADLY LASER:blobpeek:

16. norach212

norach212 Unknown being

Reading List:
    Link
    Reality is the world where i lived and everything that existed in it,
    Reality is the time i experienced and eveything that happened before it.

mir likes this.
  17. TheBlueLaundryBag

TheBlueLaundryBag Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I consider what I experience as reality.

imK likes this.
  18. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What is science to these rules, laws, or tenets? What of magic in relation to both science and said rules, law, or tenets?

I know not if you believe in them, but I do in both, more so in the first than the second... to my regret.
    What are her books titled? Consider me curious of her situation, because she in fact reminds me of Beatrice's Cat Box from When The Seagulls Cry or Fate's concept of reality marbles.

19. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Science attempts to be the closest possible approximation to the laws of reality it can be. It is the closest thing humans have to an objective reality.

Then there is the subjective version of reality Alastar describes, and it certainly is a thing. But here is the problem: It can be dead wrong.

The more your subjective view misaligns with the objective reality the more insane you are. And yes, there are many people on that spectrum, and even people in high offices can be complete nutters in this regard.

imK likes this.
  20. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, so you answered my first question. What of my second question? Any serious answer you may have about it. Its relation to science and said objective reality?
    Insanity is sanity. What do you mean? To be insane is to be free. Madness is becoming "chaos" without texture or flavor. I say the insane are perhaps closes to ultimate truth. Whether the truth is 1 or 0, I do not know. We are still bound by the concept of 1 OR 0 or 1 AND 0 or 1 NOT 0.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020