Discussion Is the Virus that serious in the U.S?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by UnknownSaint171, Mar 18, 2020.

1. BoredNovelFinder

BoredNovelFinder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's a site where they list down statistical numbers of active cases around the world. I'm linking the one for US since the OP is from the US.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Resource links for these numbers are at the bottom of the page. Just to quote about worldmeter:

Also:

If you got the time, watch this:

It's quite informative. There are other reasons why Coronavirus is worrying but it really helps to be informed. Here's info about the guest:

imK, Femme Fatale, MadraRua and 2 others like this.
  2. Mochakat9

Mochakat9 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Except you probably can’t get checked in the U.S. right now because of test shortages. There’s also a lot of denial and inaction because our President and Fox News spent weeks telling people that COVID19 was a hoax and nothing needed to be done. All of a sudden, after weeks of ignoring the spreading virus, the White House tells people that the entire country will need to be shut down until June and people started panicking. This entire response should have been rolled out by at least January since Trump was notified about it at the end of November.

3. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    so then tell me, where are these reports of people partying coming from? I can find article after article talking about idiots ignoring the social distancing and going out partying but can't seem to find a single thing other than YOU refuting this. unfortunately, I have family who won't survive getting covid so I can't just take one person's word on this.

I'm not implying ignorance for having different beliefs than me, I am implying ignorance for not doing the bare minimum, for not having the bare minimum of care for yourself and others around you. all I want is for people to be safe and take precaution. and I talked with that guy, and you're right, I didn't ask if he was washing his hands because I erroneously assumed his lackadaisical attitude towards this pandemic meant he wasn't taking those precautions(turns out he is just as sad as me), mostly because there are a lot of people not taking this seriously enough.

there is an uptake of "youths" ignoring quarantine procedures and doing stuff like what is reported in florida, just the other day the police broke up a bunch of kids gathering at local stores, playing around, joking about the virus, and licking doors like they were invincible.

I have personal friends who think this is all just the government's way of controlling us long enough to install the "5g kill grid", my best friends' uncle told him this is just a ploy of the "Dems" to gain support for election (he literally thinks that somehow this whole global virus pandemic is just "The Dems" trying to pull a fast one.)

there was a man in Italy who wanted his rhinoplasty done and hid his confirmed Covid symptoms, now, he faces 12 years jail time and the Doctor, nurse, and anaesthesiologist all have to go into quarantine.

an Argentinian woman had confirmed symptoms but still chose to go to Spain for a fling with a friend, said friend then went to a party and once all was said and done the whole town of 2500, along with the woman and her husband, had to be quarantined.

there are countless recorded and documented cases of idiots(not just young people) ignoring this quarantine so excuse me if I get aggravated.

mir and Mochakat9 like this.
  4. BoredNovelFinder

BoredNovelFinder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I forgot which article I read but, apparently, there's a 'loyalty club' around Trump. Nobody wants to displease the guy from said loyalty club which is the main reason why nobody in his inner circle pushed him early on to change his mind. He was comfortable with, at the very least, low numbers of infected. Now it's biting the country back in the ass.

The test kits are no joke. Converted to my country's currency, it's 8k a pop. Meaning, a normal household here would most probably opt out on getting tested. Thankfully, a local university managed to make a test kit that is more affordable. Even then, it's 1.3k a kit. Currently though, it's still on the testing phase to see if it's reliable.

Mochakat9 likes this.
  5. Mochakat9

Mochakat9 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

I’m having trouble convincing my mom’s senior friends with compromised health to stay home, let alone younger people.

anon and Traveling Chef like this.
  6. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont understand how you can question others for goverment conspiracies and then wholeheartedly believe others that say people in florida are partying. But lets pretend youre right. Are all the kids in florida doing it? Is it only florida? Do your assumptions make actual sense? Are you just regurgitating something you heard? Why should i believe your statements when you are only 1 insignificant person and have certainly prejudged my own testimony with bias, even though i initiated a dialogue with you to agree with your understanding on some of your response?

If people are doing stupid things its because they are stupid. If someone keeps putting their hand into a wall socket even when warned not to to, then they are owed no sympathy and should reap the benefit of a casket. If others do not value their lives and take proper precautions then how are others to blame when they do not care about their deaths. This is not sad, but cause for celebration as there are a few less idiots who under appreciated the gift of life.

Your family situation is only your situation. It should be exclusive to you and to bandy it about so casually robs it of sentiment and makes light of their plight when you use them as a source of pity in a discussion.

7. Traveling Chef

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont wholeheartedly believe anything, but until I find provable evidence saying otherwise I'm going to stick with it.

I don't want you to believe me, that's up to you and I never said you had to, all I asked was for people to calm down, be hygienic. If you or others don't want to, fine, but understand it has consequences.

Just like you don't have, believe me, I don't have to believe you. I'm sorry I don't want idiots thoughtless actions bringing harm to mine or anyone else's family

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  8. cap.toon

cap.toon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is a debate going around my county. Some says they know people who r sick as the dead, went to the clinic and yet they were not checked for the virus because the sick haven’t been in contact with people who had travel oversea. Which in my understanding, the virus spread in many different ways. You don’t need to be in direct contact with someone who just return. You can get it from people who had had contact with people who had contact with someone who came back from oversea or maybe just the virus on things. My county also has limited testing kits and labs who r certified to do these testing. A local doctor, maybe on the council or something, came out and explained why so little testing r being done—mainly because the test labs r out of state and would be costly to send hundreds out to be tested. Do we know for sure? The county website and experts said people have been tested and claimed so—but citizens personally came out and speak that the medical staff whom they spoke with told them that “they were not testing.” This is the best time to be recording phone calls. Haha. So yea—big debate locally here. So far, only three people have been tested in my county and all came back negative—so far my county claim 0 case. If this is false and they know, I can understand. Just look at the crazy people—I wouldn’t say anything too.

I heard it is free in the USA now.

Traveling Chef and Femme Fatale like this.
  9. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    This bad.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/4...iple-states-by-suspects-wearing-medical-masks

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020...-violence-continues-during-covid-19-pandemic/

https://mobile.twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1240269987044081665

On the bright side though. You can make money off the crisis

Back in 2008, when the US government bailed out the US banking sector, it became clear that virtually any industry in America's $18 trillion economy could pass off for "too big to fail." So fast forward to today when the longest expansion in history has mutated in under a month into the biggest market crash since the Great Depression, and sure enough, virtually any industry is trying to get bailed out.

Consider this - until today, the US government and by implication US taxpayers, had received bailout requests both direct or indirect from:

• The Airline Industry
    • The Public transportation industry
    • The Hotel and lodging industry
    • The Restaurant Industry
    • And, of course, Boeing.
    And now, demonstrating just how fucked up everything has become once the government has opened the Pandora's Box of government bailouts, US movie theaters are also demanding a bailout.

mir and MadraRua like this.
  10. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see that both of you are not seeing eye to eye. Let's just say you both have different priorities. Continue on your war of words, because I enjoy such conflict between two righteous souls. Fall to that abyss of justice. I, the Unhinged Philosopher, shall write your names to our blessed Aka.

Traveling Chef and anon like this.
  11. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I did not know of this. Source please? I want to read for more details

Traveling Chef likes this.
  12. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

CandleLight, Ddraig, imK and 4 others like this.
  13. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    And yet there are people living paycheck to paycheck that have had to take a cut in wages or has lost their jobs due to the coronavirus..and that are made to work even though they make minimum wage or less. It's capitalism gone alt right. >_>

14. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But you werent being calm and when i asked you to calm down a little, you became indignant

15. Traveling Chef

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, If that is how you feel, let me apologize. it's been a night's sleep since yesterday and I can recognize that I got way too heated about it. and to be fair, I never said *I* had to be calm about it :blobowoevil:
    I still stand by my what I was saying but I do realize that I was getting way angrier then needed and I wish I had gone about it in a less heated way.

after thinking on it some more, I probably got really heated because someones first comment towards me said I was acting like a bitch and that I am a narcissist, which couldn't be further from the truth because no one hates me more than I hate myself, but ultimately its on me if I let the words of some random nobody on the internet anger me.

you said
    but you opened up "dialogue" with insults and by trying to demean me by calling me a narcissist.
    so I don't think you give a damn about anything we are talking about and just want to troll, have a nice life.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  16. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone who is a medical professional, I have to point out that a cure already exists, so they are not "looking for a cure", not that RNA viruses are that susceptible to anything other than anti-virals. What they are really looking for is a symptomatic cure, i.e that it suppresses the SYMPTOMS and transmission of the virus than kill it outright, which is a common approach to things like viral fevers and the like.

It's just that the common anti-virals are 1- expensive as hell, 2- low in supply and 3- has very annoying side effects.
    Most people actually know anti-virals by another name. Chemotherapy. If you checked up all the side effects of chemo, that is the side effects of anti-viral medication.

17. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    Take any news about Trump's actions with a grain of salt, as the media is courting clicks.

Please remember it's also the job of the head of state, to waylay fears and stop the nation from panicking.

18. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't get why you quoted me tbh... >.>

Femme Fatale likes this.
  19. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    You're just constantly being one of the people shrugging off precautionary measures and low-key undermining others' conscious efforts to have everyone be in a safer environment. Not only in this one but other threads too.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    imK, Femme Fatale and Traveling Chef like this.
  20. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    In other threads? I certainly did that~

In this one? All I said was that panic buying stuff in supermarkets doesn't seem to make any sense to me. I'd rather just buy stuff as I need it instead of contributing to making the supermakets run out of stock of things that are needed by others.

Never said anything about how you shouldn't get tested. If you feel like you're contaminated, you should totally go get tested~