Discussion Is the Virus that serious in the U.S?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by UnknownSaint171, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    You need to learn to read carefully and reflect on what is being written before you respond. You let yourself down when you don't. Some free advice.

Snowbun likes this.
  2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhn... Yeah, so... You basically want to have the last word?

I mean, at this point we're kinda hijacking the thread and there is no point being discussed, so... If you already said you don't want to continue the discussion, yet you keep replying... I have to either assume you wanna farm nuffies or you wanna have the last word.

... Not like I'm any better because I only replied to the last GIF because it was free message count, but... If that's what you wanna do though, might as well be honest about it, at least it would finally explain why you even started this conversation with me in this thread in the first place~ :blobsmilehappyeyes:

3. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mainly, people are replying to you because you piss us off. Actions have consequences and even now, people remember your previous posts and that hurt your reputation and anything you might say in support of healthcare measures because it would seem like you are being hypocritical, encouraging one thing yet proudly saying you will do the opposite.

Your old posts screwed you over. Accept that and get over it.

4. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I didn't really change my positioning for the most part, so I dunno what I'd have to worry about in getting "screwed over."

There was one thread a while back that had a good article that helped me understand why the virus super fast spread rate made it more dangerous than the normal flu as it can overwhelm hospitals and stuff though, so I now understand why governments are taking proper action against the virus, it makes sense for them to act this way for the well-being of the overall population~

But that's the government's problem and their need to deal with the macro. I deal with my own life, and I don't see why I should start buying a huge stockpile of supplies in the market... Which was my point in this thread.

I mean, if someone disagrees and want to debate over it, I'm always happy to discuss.... But this last chain of replies I got didn't seem to really have anything to do with my point, so in all honesty I was pretty confused~

I'm fine with being disliked and people viewing me as hypocritical... But if someone replies to me, I usually still hope their reply touched the topic of my post, regardless of agreement or disagreement~

Kuro_0ni and reagents 11 like this.
  5. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    *lols* You should try not to interpret things and twist them to your advantage. People are actually out right telling you straight you just choose to misinterpret or something. *shrugs* That's for you to work out.

Here's a song for you:

6. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Look, you told me that it's a good idea to step away from an useless argument, yet this argument is completely useless, yet you keep the argument alive... What am I supposed to take of that?

I mean, the impression you're giving me is that you're trying to pretend you're a wise old sage trying to enlighten the poor ignorant lamb, but I'm having the decency of assuming this impression is wrong because I doubt anyone would be this conceited in a random internet argument.

So instead I'm trying to see if there can be any meaning to the discussion at hand in your words... And right now I'm not finding any, so... Well, I have to assume you're keeping the argument alive for the sake of keeping it alive. And people do that usually to farm nuffies or because they wanna have the last word... So... There you have it?

I'm not really trying to twist it to my advantage, I'm trying to understand why you're keeping the discussion alive even though you explicitly said it is a smart move to step away from useless arguments... I mean, I know why I'm keeping it alive, because I'm getting closer to 20k messages because of this pointless banter, but I'm trying to understand why you are. And since you provide no reasoning, I have to try inferring it.

GDLiZy and reagents 11 like this.
  7. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    "Serious" is sort of a tough word to address because different people mean different things when they say that something is serious.

I've heard people comparing COVID19 to the flu and arguing as a consequence that it isn't "serious" — yet the 1918 flu pandemic killed 20-50 million people (infected 500 million or 27% of the world population).

Given that COVID19 is both more infectious and deadlier than flu, in my view it is an extremely serious situation.

I work/study at a hospital, and many of the concerns at the present moment is that there will be a spike in cases that will completely overwhelm the system. These concerns are extremely serious. There is a shortage of PPE (protective equipment) for clinicians, ventilators, and general medical staff. The shortage of PPE means that many doctors and healthcare workers are going in with substandard protection (CDC downgraded mask requirements for healthcare workers) and increasing the likelihood they will get sick. The US healthcare system operates on very little reserve, and there isn't a pool of "backup" healthcare workers lying around.

My institution circulated an email asking for volunteer nursing students, medical students, graduate students, and postdocs. I live in one of the most well-resourced US states with one of the most reputable healthcare systems, and I think there's a significant amount of well-founded anxiety coming from our healthcare institutions.

As far as I'm aware, most elective procedures are canceled at most hospitals across the US, and clinicians are being cross-trained to take care of COVID19 patients (e.g. dermatologists being trained for respiratory care). Essentially you have entire departments of hospitals shutting down so that we can spare 90% of all resources to the pandemic.

And there's worry that there isn't going to be enough.

To some extent, I'm a little bit envious of China and their ability to use authoritarian measures to seize respirators/masks from private companies or build hospitals overnight. The US does not have the same capacity to do these things, and it places our healthcare system at much greater risk.

+ + +​

The main public health interventions: social distancing and increased testing...

The main objectives are to "flatten the curve."

[​IMG]

In the past few weeks, public health departments across the US made projections for the virus and determined that without interventions (or minimal interventions), the US healthcare system will be disastrously overwhelmed. Consequently, you have closures of schools, restaurants, event size limits... with updated recommendations every day as public health departments do their math and figure out what it takes to flatten the case burden enough so it doesn't completely screw hospitals over.

These public health measures should be taken seriously.

No government wishes to take draconian measures (e.g. total 100% lockdown), and everyone know it damages the economy, but there are many talented public health officials who are doing the math to figure out what measures are necessary.

+ + +​

Regarding risk to yourself and others.

If you are a younger individual (not a baby), you are less likely to die from the coronavirus.

That doesn't mean you won't be hospitalized from it or be on a ventilator due to it. It's a much more severe respiratory illness than the flu, and it should be treated seriously. In this early period, the statistics that you are seeing are with full medical care, meaning that there are young people sick enough to be hospitalized or admitted to the ICU. Without medical care, they could well have died.

[​IMG]

The problem that the healthcare community is worried about is if the hospitals are overwhelmed...

Then you have people who need a ventilator but can't get one, or need to be in the ICU yet there isn't space.

It's entirely possible that you (a young person) could show up at the hospital very sick, and the clinicians decide that they'd rather use the ventilator on the older person rather than you. The doctors will just pray that you won't suffocate, hm? But what happens you suddenly develop an arrhythmia due to a pulmonary embolism from being immobile for a long period of time, and you weren't hooked up to telemetry (heart monitoring equipment) because there wasn't an actual hospital bed for you and instead they put a cot in the hallway next to the elevator? Uh oh?

+ + +​

In either case, worse case scenarios aside, it's important to take care of yourself and your community.

The reality is that there's are many people who are asymptomatic with COVID19, meaning they never show symptoms despite being infected (~19%). However, they can still infect others.

Additionally, infected people are contagious before showing symptoms, and studies have suggested that a large fraction of virus spread is due to contacts before a person developed symptoms.

Give these two features, you should be careful about who you might be spreading the virus to, even if you have no symptoms.

I live about 20 minutes away from my parent's home and still haven't gone home (despite the fact that my work/school shut down this past weekend), largely because I'm in a high risk area and Haru is still working as a pharmacist out in the community. My mother still regularly goes to see my grandmother, so I won't be going home for quite some time -- because it's totally likely that I could pass it to my family and then to my grandmother.

It's totally a serious issue, in my view.

If you're walking around the community spreading the virus, then you're burdening the healthcare system even more. And there's a lot of people who probably wouldn't have died who might end up dying if many people collectively decide to flaunt social distancing measures.

+ + +
    That said, although it's serious, it's not something to panic over.

I have no idea why there is a toilet paper shortage. There is plenty of food in the United States. The US has a self-sufficient economy and we export more food than we consume. Even if borders close, food producers are swimming with food they're struggling to sell.

Don't hoard face masks. You legitimately probably don't need them.

Wash your hands. It's more effective than hand sanitizer (it's basically only the alcohol that matters).

Be safe, be informed, and be cozy!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  8. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't need to pretend to be a wise sage. You definitely are not what I'd call a poor ignorant lamb.

I can be conceited cause you are dismissive or something.

Now I'm farming nuffies.

See? I tell you straight.

Traveling Chef and AliceShiki like this.
  9. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    Very informative and succinct. We're having to be a little more careful as well because I have people that are very vulnerable...so we are isolating ourselves to an extent already. Except I have a daughter that still goes to school. So hard on her because she's at that age where they still want to hug and smooch each other and share foods/drinks. :eek::eek::eek: It used to be only colds/flus, herpes, hepatitis, mono, etc that I'd worry about....listen to me...ONLY hepatitis:facepalm:..but you get what I mean. Something I would normally slowly guide her through is turning into a crash course. :(

Kuro_0ni, imK and Traveling Chef like this.
  10. Mochakat9

Mochakat9 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I got the month wrong. It was reported to the WHO in December and Trump had a briefing. I read an easier article about this, but I don’t remember which news it was in and I can’t get the keywords right for Google-sensei. Here one article to start and I’ll post more once I can figure out what I did with the article.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...c-coronavirus-united-states-trump-cdc/608215/

11. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    it's been a while Lychee, hello~ thank you for the most comprehensive reply I have ever seen on any of these covid posts~~

imK and MadraRua like this.
  12. cap.toon

cap.toon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That’s a big problem too. Keep it quiet. Get stuff that won’t need to be cooked. Once you cook something people know you got food. Some states in USA are talking about ether banning or allowing guns to be carry during quarantine.

I tried to keep my mouth shut about my pantry around here, but I can’t say the same for my big mouth brother. Who knows how many people he told. I don’t anticipate it that bad around here, but then this is USA. People r so dependent on the market that they truly believe war can’t be fought in our land—wrong. When hell broke loose, people can do things you never thought they could.

A prepper I follow advise to buy bar and stuff to hold your door and block your windows—and carry guns. Learn to use them!! He highly suggest to bang together with other preppers—people you can trust when shit go loose.

imK and Ai chan like this.
  13. SoShy

SoShy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah I see. I guess that's the case in US. In my country people refused to go get checked in fear of being quarantined D:
    On one of such cases, the said person's kids got infected and that kid (didn't know he was carrying such disease) went to a tution class and infected other kids. Ay I guess every place has their own kind of stoopid hoomans xD.

On last note, safe fellas. Do what u have to do but don't infect others. God bless :blob_pompom:

imK and Traveling Chef like this.
  14. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    With the substandard healthcare system in the US, I wouldn't be surprised if the situation there is the worst among developed countries. :blobwoah:

15. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    The teenagers and the young adults seems to be confusing to party on...

I mean, don't let corona put a cloud on your party, I guess.

Some news mentioned that the government ordered bars and others places where these kids go to shut down but I doubt the kids will be dampened by the moods. And I use the word 'kids' deliberately.

Meanwhile, my cousin is not gonna have a graduation but still have to pay the school...

Oh, well.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cor...th-padre-bahamas-college-kids-partying-2020-3

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-u...nts-party-on-spring-break-despite-coronavirus

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Traveling Chef likes this.
  16. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not panicking over myself but I worry more over my SIL who might be called to the hospital to ease the burden from the internists. She's a doctor and she self-quarantined before our province was really hit. She says she might be compelled to be on service once more doctors and nurses get sick.

Here's a good video summary from someone i follow on Youtube.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    imK likes this.
  17. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. But yeah as each day passes, it's worrying since I realize the harder to get things is.
    That's true, I've forgotten that point where people would rather trust themselves instead of government.. It's still worrying even if your immune system is young and strong though, I'm sure we all have older relatives or friends with weak constitutions who gotta work.
    People are still living their lives normally here, it's just the low supply stocks of food that it's the problem. The fact that the virus still reached in California is the problem though since who knows how far it'll spread?
    Yea I've noticed I have been eating cup ramen more and more everyday. Crazy. It's getting harder to eat.

I really hope this blows over soon. I worry about my old folks..

imK likes this.
  18. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is an issue in that 1000s of people have died. The fact is that many jobs are now advocated to be done from home. Many planned events are outright cancelled or indefinitely postponed. The fact that it has inspired an increased bigotry Asians or Asian-Americans is very concerning. So, it is a big issue. That said, the media is over-hyping to a degree. For example, I might be going out on a limb but some of the news stories are painting it like the death count will be six-figures or higher. So, it is an issue in some areas and not so much to an issue in other areas.

19. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    In my locale, there is more panic than rationale in recent weeks. Quite a bit of frustration going around as well, either to the current response and recent past actions of our local leaders.
    [​IMG]

Being an isolated island from major continents, one would think we could hunker down and wait for this pandemic to pass over.

Unfortunately, there is no unified response to halt the spread or potential spread, and we rely on tourism for our economy. We also have quite a population of high risk people (From elderly to immuno-compromised) and our medical facilities are not able to handle an influx of patients. We only have just over 3,000 licensed hospital bed, 340 intensive care beds, and just under 600 ventilators.

At this time, our Department of Health, is only testing individuals under a strict criteria and only if they display symptoms. There is no testing for asymptomatic individuals, they will be turned away.

From local news, I know we are not screening at our airports. Our leaders are just asking people not to travel to our islands, but people from all over are still flying, due to the lower fares that airlines are touting. We are still getting flights from Washington State & California, areas with a high # of confirmed cases. We are also still receiving international flights from other areas with confirmed cases.

Efforts to dissuade tourists/ travelers, business have either shut down or limited their services, our state/national parks & state capitol have shut down as well. But our beaches are still available to the public, even though no lifeguards will be staffing the shores (unable to protect themselves of possible infection, since they do not have PPE).

~=+~+=~​

Personally, I may just be overthinking it. But knowing our culture in Hawaii, we are literally a melting pot of ethnicities, cultures & traditions. There are lots of multi-generational homes & communities, where grandparents, great-grandparents, children & great grand-children will live in a single or communal household. Due to cultural traditions & the exorbitant cost of living.

Pacific Islanders, have a touchy-feely culture. We do hugs and cheek kisses to greet family, young and old. If we aren't practicing social/physical distancing then, the outcome is we'd potentially spread the virus.

I'm trying to be hopeful, but my view on my locales current situation, as things stand, is not good. We currently have 37 positives amongst individuals who've displayed symptoms under our Department of Health's screening criteria. And that number is only going to rise....

mir, prongsjiisan and imK like this.
  20. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wish it would burn itself out.

imK likes this.