TV Eternal Love of Dream (The pillow book) Discussion!!

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by katofu, Jan 24, 2020.

1. katofu

katofu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Has anyone been watching Eternal love of dream? No one around me is watching ít and I just need to talk about it to someone before I go crazy T^T. (BTW SLIGHT SPOILERS AHEAD SO READ AT UR RISK HAHA) If you have been watching it, what are your thoughts on it? I’ve been waiting over 3 years for it to come out and first 8 episodes (although I was expecting to start exactly where the book started) were actually pretty good! I loved the pacing and how they didn't drag out the arc of her as a fox..but what made me sad was that I thought after that, we would begin the arc where she’s queen of QiuQiu & more mature :( It’s fine I suppose but what’s really irking me is that they changed the original plot line just so they can make Jiheng have more scenes..like um when was she a part of the mortal realm arc..? (besides the alanruo arc one ofc) like I understand she used to hold the rights to drama but I feel like it’s a reach to insert her into so many scenes where she’s not needed sigh...buttttttt that’s just me also omg what I didn’t realize that zheyan and feng jiu’s uncle had a thing?! After the hairpin scene I was a little sus, but knowing china’s censorship I doubted they would add smth like that. However, after reading another post it said they had a thing and I was shocked cause I don’t remember anything about them together in the book (probably because of my bad memory lol) :0 anyways yea what do you guys think about the drama!! I’m all ears HAHAHHA

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  2. Yang Guo

Yang Guo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Watching it now! For Ye Zhan and Fengjiu's uncle, I believe it was one of those subtle implications... Heck, if you go back to Ten Miles, there were sayings and phrases that made their relationship a little bit ambiguous... However it seems like Pillow Book may just be saying, "Fck It! They have a relationship, but we will not make it explicit though. But it is there! Do what you want with it!" Lol.

So far liking the drama, although I wish they could have toned down Fengjiu's immaturity and obsession a little. But then again when you think about it, in their terms, Fengjiu is nothing more than a teenager going into her young adult phase... Thus the immaturity. As of episode 10, it seems like they have started with the SECOND LIFE of Fengjiu and Dong Hua - with the story of Emperor Song Xuanren and Consort Chen [something we saw a glimpse of in Ten Miles].

3. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That one from the author whom plagiarize danmei novel, right?

No thanks.

Rumby, Zhen_Qing and imK like this.
  4. Szara

Szara Your average American Psycho

Reading List:
    Link
    https://hamster428.wordpress.com/2015/07/09/plagiarism-allegations-against-tqgz/

These are the comparisons between the two works. There are many similarities. She did steal dialogue from the other book and re-worded them for her own story.

However, I would say that the overall plot is unique and different enough. It’s worth reading.

I’m not trying to defend her actions, but I don’t feel guilty about reading the book translations or watching the drama because she isn’t making any money from me lol.

I’ve had the drama playing in the background while I did other stuff, as I wasn’t super invested in it or anything. But it seemed... okay.

I appreciate that the dramas (both Pillow Book & Eternal Love) told the story in chronological order. It’s a pet-peeve of mine when half the story is told through flashbacks. It’s rarely necessary.

But IDK, I’m usually not a fan of Chinese dramas in general. I can’t quite explain why I don’t like them. Usually they start out strong, but drag in the middle, with a rushed and unsatisfactory ending.

XianXia dramas tend to have that cheap, idol feeling. Pretty actors and flashy CGI visual but with shallow, lackluster acting. The characters lack a certain humanity and depth. Maybe it’s because we can’t see their internal monologues.

I like to read Chinese novels, but they usually don’t translate well on screen (at least, in my opinion).

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  5. rosierosie

rosierosie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have not read the book. I saw a few episodes, and I like it so far :)!!!! I think it's good. So far, it doesn't have the effect of TTOPB for me, but I think it's a good storyline so far. I'm only on ep 16, so it's still developing-----and I'll be watching it when the ep air.

6. Deleted member 213850

Deleted member 213850 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Still at the earlier episodes, I've read the book as well. I prefer their interactions in Ten Miles, esp how they met. In Ten Miles, they were alone in the forest and Bai Fengjiu was able to see Dong Hua in all his glory under the sun and....went on following him lmao. For the Pillow Book, it happened in the underworld, and honestly, the bg is too distracting, with all the smoke and evil effects and all :blobexpressionless:
    But apart from that, it's still an OK adaptation, will watch further.

7. katofu

katofu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do agree that Fengjiu could be a little immature sometimes(although it could be justified by her age)! I’m glad that the drama has now moved past that and now onto a different arc where she’s more mature-an arc I enjoy way more IMO-*thumbs up*

I definitely agree tbh drama adaptions never really live up to the novel but just seeing live action characters that I liked in the novel irl makes me content (unless it’s a 100% garbage adaption LOL)

Yea TMOPB kinda flipped the world upside down and changed the entire standard for dramas (especially with its viewership of 50 billion •0• ) so it’s really hard for any drama to come up to par but I definitely do enjoy TLTWTP a little bit more personally because I have a soft spot for Fengjiu/ Dilraba I love her endearing character sm and I also love the way their relationship progresses (from her being naive and “falling out of love” then to it reversing and Donghua starting to chase for her)what can I say I’m a sucker for character growth T^T

Yea I did find the first meeting a little dramatic but otherwise I’m still enjoying it a lot HAHA

Whoops didn’t know the claims were real I thought they were just rumors guess not after some research...but like the other reply said I’m watching it on a site that doesn’t really support the author so I’ll indulge lol

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2020
  8. gukguk

gukguk Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Me too! been waiting for Fengjiu-Donghua drama since i discovered TMOPB and read pillow book, so far i love everything in this drama but a bit shocked in the episode 36 preview where Aranya and Shen Ye played by the same person that played Fengjiu-Donghua... oh and i wasn't expecting a slimmer A Li TT

9. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    Too late. Considering the wall of text about your obsession, please turn yourself in for electroshock therapy.:facepalm:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  10. rosierosie

rosierosie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm watching it to ep 28^^. I love it so far, cannot wait for Arayan arc story. So far, it's good. It's finally nice to see Dijun is noticing and becoming interested in FJ.

11. Sauling

Sauling Wangxian[忘羨] is my Precious OTP ( ˘ ³˘)♥

Reading List:
    Link
    Spoilers for this since I just want to jump in here to make this comment since I needed to give my opinions about how I feel about this and to also point out an unpopular opinion that while there are people who loves Ye Qingti as a character but personally I don't on my end.

Why?
    Okay! The fact he became immortal through the help of Feng Jiu because she wants to repay him when he sacrificed himself in the mortal realm for saving her.... That's fine and understandable. And that's already good enough but I didn't like the fact that he replaced Donghua in gaining that title "Di Jun (the successor to Taichen Palace) where he got that high status as a god because, he didn't achieve that with his own skills.. it's like he was given this position on a silver platter and that's very urgh :blobexpressionless::facepalm:

His immortal status and immortal powers that got transferred to him is one thing but him being the successor of Taichen Palace is another, which feels like it's been given to him on a silver platter and that is really :facepalm: to me. Donghua made him the successor because he was going to sacrifice himself and bring down Miao Luo with him since he knows he didn't have much time left. So that was his decision, but I wish it wasn't. This apparently is one thing I don't like about the ending because I dislike the fact how everything is just given to Ye Qingti like that. I mean why does it feel like everyone is kissing up to him? When he is just average at best (in my eyes?), And personally I find that frustrating to be honest since he did not work or gain this status(power) with his own skills but it was just given to him when he was made the successor to Taichen Palace...

I know it would probably be happier if Donghua live a secluded life with Fengjiu and withdraw from worldly affairs, but this outcome where he's no longer Di Jun makes me sad. But in my eyes, he's forever the only Di Jun to me, NOT Ye Qingti.

And from a fan perspective of Donghua and Feng Jiu, I will forever be bitter at the fact that in the novel Feng Jiu married Ye Qingti in the mortal realm (seriously what the hell!); and through all these years she still mention that he's her husband in the mortal realm even when it's just "name only"; so what about Song Xuan Ren(Donghua mortal self)???

When I was up to the part in the novel, I'm so disappointed at that revelation. It was a slap to the face that make me go "are you serious?"(*insert thunder stroke sound effect*)

It's truly a negative appeal to me urgh. So on that note, I'm heartbroken when that was revealed in the novel (I guess for this I love the drama better because at least this part never happened...)

Honestly after reading that part and revelation in the novel, I lost my motivation to continue the novel on my end..:blob_teary:

Well fans can like Ye Qingti all they want and I'm not disapproving them for liking him but personally for me I don't really like that character, it was just "yeah whatever to me", Feng Jiu sacrificing herself in getting the fruit to revive him and transferred her immortal powers was already enough to repay this debt but the fact that he replaced Donghua in that high status(position), as Di Jun really make his character PATHETIC, because it was just given to him like that and I DO NOT APPROVE. :blobthumbsdown:

So in the end like him all you want but I'll just be among one of the people out there who dislikes Ye Qingti on my end for all said.

Oh I already finished the drama around two weeks ago, so yeah they're my feelings.

12. katofu

katofu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was surprised too! honestly I would’ve preferred if Shen Ye was played by a different actor so we could see different character dynamics (especially since the actor for DJ, Gao weiguang had to play a lot of roles) but ig people could argue that
    shen ye was donghua’s shadow so they should look alike just with FJ and Aranya
    but I guess what’s done is done

13. katofu

katofu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    HAHAHA watching this drama made me like this

14. katofu

katofu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Arayana arc was one of my favorites! especially like u said we get to see DJ acting on his feelings more rather than FJ always being the proactive one

15. katofu

katofu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whatttt I thought that
    ye qing ti would only be the successor if donghua died? Since donghua didn’t die in the fight with Mialuo isn’t donghua technically still Dijun? Bihai Cangling is his second home with FJ & BGG while they’ll most reside in Taichen Palace with donghua still being dijun. With donghua still alive Ye Qing Ti would just a “worker” there. That’s what I interpreted but if ye Qing ti really succeeded Donghua after the mialuo fight WTH How did I miss this- that seems very ill fitting.I agree with you Ye qing ti did get a lot of things given to him on a free platter but most fans probably sympathize with him instead since he’ll never get what he really wants FJ. Tbh I didn’t have any second thoughts about YQT, though I do admit his one sided love did make me feel pity for him a few times but with a strong contender like Donghua next to FJ there was really no chance ‍♀️

16. Sauling

Sauling Wangxian[忘羨] is my Precious OTP ( ˘ ³˘)♥

Reading List:
    Link
    The Aranya arc is also one of my favourites, but from what I know, this is only exclusively to the Drama only, not the novel. I heard from someone who read that part in the novel, that:
    FJ (while recovering her identity in the Aranya arc(dream), she was still okay to sleep with Xizhe (even though we all know that's Donghua), but to FJ, she didn't know it was Donghua until after the dream... So if that's really the case, and she's okay with this, then that's a negative appeal on her character for me. How could she sleep with Xizhe without knowing first that it's Donghua? In her eyes she's even okay with this? :facepalm::facepalm:

Like I said, I only am quoting this from someone who have read the novel, and sadly I was up to just that part the Aranya arc, and now knowing this, I don't want to continue the novel on my end... :(

I didn't read up to that part in the novel, I did read the ending though, and noticed the drama extended that scene where FJ woke up and they were at Bihai Cangling or something. In the drama, it was said that they are now living secludely, which is further emphasize through the boat scene that FJ said to GG that if he loves this place (Bihai Cangling), then they will live here from now on:

In the Drama it was implied and said that DH/FJ and GG are now retired from the worldly matters, and was living as a family in Bihai Cangling, and the throne was passed to YQT :blobexpressionless::blobexpressionless::blobexpressionless:

So maybe this was just a drama thing, and this didn't happen in the novel... But honestly, I don't like YQT on my end for all said, I dislike how he get everything on a free platter like this. People were feeling for YQT? I was feeling for Song Xuanren when it all happened, especially with what I found out in the novel about that mortal arc (urgh)