Quarantine Food: Rice Milk Soup, Savory (Sopa de Arroz con Leche)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Femme Fatale, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi y'all!

[​IMG]

This recipe is a childhood favorite. Perhaps the best memories of being sick with a flu or a tummy bug was having this soup. ^.^ It's simple and delicious. It uses basic ingredients and leaves you feeling full and satisfied. Definitely comfort food or something to have when it's cold or raining outside.

I found a simple recipe online because this is one of those recipes I don't need quantities anymore to make. And I've also made some shortcuts when preparing it that would be difficult to explain. >_>

This is the link to the recipe: http://www.elboricua.com/arroz_con_leche.html

This is the actual recipe:

Arroz con Leche (Sopas de Leche or Sopas de Arroz con Leche)

In Puerto Rico this recipe is simply a savoury rice soup made with milk. Usually made for babies, children, or when someone has a bad stomach. It is a comfort food. In other Latin American countries 'Arroz con leche' might be a dessert made with sugar and cinnamon.

Ingredients
    1 cup uncooked rice
    4 cups water
    whole milk
    salt

Instructions
    In a medium saucepan boil rice in water with salt over medium heat until rice is cooked. Approximately 30 minutes or so. When rice is done add enough whole milk to cover rice, it should be soupy. Serve warm.​

NOTE: I chose this recipe in particular because it doesn't specify amount of milk. You can add whatever quantity of milk you like for creaminess and taste. If you are low on milk, you can add more hot water and what milk you have. It's a runnier broth, but it's still delicious. In my opinion, If you have a tummy bug, a runnier broth is gentler on your stomach.

Some people add a teaspoon of butter as well. I have also heard people add a thin slice of cheddar cheese to the finished product. This recipe is very forgiving. I truly hope you enjoy it as much as I have .

Try the Recipe? Need some help? Leave comments and I'll try my best to assist.

Eat Well; Be Healthy; Love Life \o/

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    orematcha, Zelphi, imK and 4 others like this.
  2. Deleted member 219339

Deleted member 219339 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I love milk rice too, but mine is a bit different from yours. I add mashed banana or mashed mango and in place of salt, I use sugar...and I keep the milk a bit thick... It tastes really good:blobmelt:
    You should give it a try:aww:

lohwengk and Femme Fatale like this.
  3. RizYun

RizYun #Kaffee4Laifu

Reading List:
    Link
    which milk d'ya use? fresh, powder, condense, coconut's milk or expired one? cuz y'now it's hard to find milk nowdays cuz of some people goin to hoarding em.. baby milk i think, not muscle enchant protein based milk one.....

Femme Fatale likes this.
  4. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is kinda bland for me. The arroz con leche I grew up with had cinnamon. Some of my cousins added raisins too.... If your looking for cheap but filling food potatoes and cabbage soup.

5. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    I will! YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! *DROOLS*

I have a desert version of this that has sugar,coconut milk, raisins/sultanas, and cinnamon. YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM. I'll post that one too! I'm just trying to keep it simple for starters. ^.^

6. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can use any kind of milk, I have a cousin who is lactose intolerant and uses almond, cashew and sometimes oat milk. I've also used can milk and if you use the condensed milk don't add sugar. It will be sweet enough.

Femme Fatale and lohwengk like this.
  7. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    Normal milk, Slim Milk, or make up powdered milk instead. Evaporated milk can also be used if you reconstitute it to milk form.

lohwengk likes this.
  8. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    This recipe does not use condensed milk. It's a savoury soup, not a dessert as mentioned in the introduction to the recipe. I will post that Arroz con Dulce or Arroz con Leche in a later post as mentioned above. :)

9. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    In russia we add sugar to it. You can also boil buckwheat and add sugar and milk

Femme Fatale likes this.
  10. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    As a SEA person, I have never tried Milk Rice my entire life, but I don't think it is popular here either. The only time I heard about milk rice is when we learnt about Buddhism. :blobpats:

Femme Fatale likes this.
  11. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    Some people will not have access to these things. I'm not sure if you are aware, but this series I'm writting is part of a pantry list I posted and other quarantine foods. XD

Search for Quarantine Food and you will find the others listed. Enjoy!

12. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    if I have a tummy bug, I avoid milk because it's probably one of the reasons.

this recipe sounds nice but I think I would prefer it dessert style uwu

Femme Fatale likes this.
  13. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you ever tried almond milk? Soy milk? Those may not upset your tummy as much.

Amaruna Myu likes this.
  14. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    in denmark it's more or less a traditional christmas food, most families would make it at least once in december
    (at least in the town i live it's fairly common)
    with cinnamon on top and a bit of butter.... it is somewhat dessert like but it's usually the main dish.

lohwengk and Femme Fatale like this.
  15. GonZ555

GonZ555 What i want for christmas is you

Reading List:
    Link
    Plain rice with milk as soup and a pinch of salt?
    I feel that will be a bit bland.. more flavorful than a normal rice porridge but still plain.. need some bacon bits, scrabled eggs or dried vegetables(those salty and sour ones)

Femme Fatale likes this.
  16. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    The British do a Rice Pudding, which is also really nice (I collect rice recipes ..Rice is Life)... It is cooked differently to this recipe and has a more custardy feel to it.

17. Deleted member 219339

Deleted member 219339 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    The dessert version of yours sounds yummy (´┓`*)

Femme Fatale likes this.
  18. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    Try it. It's tasty and simple. :blobokhand:

Note: I tend to use more than a pinch of salt....I like the broth to be slightly salty.

19. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

20. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    although with less liquid... so not soup... but more like a porridge-y/pudding-like(but not really) consistency... i find it difficult to explain the exact consistency since i've never needed words to describe this thing before....
    main point is that it tastes good

you can search for danish rice porridge/pudding (risengrød, directly translates to rice porridge)

[​IMG]

Femme Fatale likes this.