LCD Death Mage

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by lygarx, May 21, 2017.

1. DragonMage18

DragonMage18 Outcast

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, it is simple, it's just the share amount of jobs that you have to keep track of...

2. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Strg + C... its really not difficult with support software.

3. DragonMage18

DragonMage18 Outcast

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I am well aware of copy paste.
    But that's not the problem, what are the conditions to unlock the jobs (skills and skill level, previous jobs, actions/exp, Position in society, recognition of people in power)? Unique jobs in Lambda? Jobs tht's basicly the same but with diffrent names depending on area.
    There's just so much to keep track of with Vans diverse skill set.
    It might be simple, but there are stil much work to do to keep consistency in the story.

For me, it feels like the author, gave Van the curses to help himself. While at the same time seting guidlines for how the story will go.
    Even a simple system can have lot's of work done behind the scene. Sometimes the system IS simple cause the author did all the work first, then redesigned it, over and over, to make it simple and easy to understand.
    I can't say how much work the author did to make the system, but I would atleast have made the rules for it, made some jobs and their benefits/disadvantages.

4. secretish

secretish Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's already so many jobs that it's a massive pain to do anything besides just check which ones are new. If you added all the standard pre-existing stuff like mage classes, warrior classes, tamer classes, and craftsman classes, it would just be a really ugly wall of text, especially with how many different types of ways Van fights/crafts.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Paps likes this.
  5. tkato

tkato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ya if Van had access to all the standard jobs the author would have had to basically think of hundreds of the jobs that Lambda would have because Van would most likely have the majority of standard jobs unlocked. thats so much extra work for such an unnecessary thing, even if he is only making them all 1 time then copying and pasting. then would be the text issue within the actual story so he'd probably just put "along with the jobs already available these new ones where also made available" everytime Van went to switch meaning he would have done all that work for like 1 time within the actual story.

Paps likes this.
  6. Feng Tian

Reading List:
    Link
    Author can bullshit most of it and make use of strg + f and an excel table... which he only has to keep up to date.

7. tkato

tkato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i think your underestimating how annoying/difficult it would be to make up hundreds of jobs in a fantasy world like lambda. even if he bs'd a lot of them it'd still be so much effort to do even once.

Paps and DragonMage18 like this.
  8. Feng Tian

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of them are copy pastas, random word combinations. That shit is the least creative part of the novel, really.

9. DragonMage18

DragonMage18 Outcast

Reading List:
    Link
    A name might not be creative, but that does not mean that it's just a combination of words.
    Just take any jobb that Van got, and compare the name to the flavor text, the name have a close conection to the effects it got.
    An example of this is mage jobs, X attribute mage. Gives higer bonus to X attribute but none to other attributes, where as the mage job gives eaqual bonus to attributes.

Yes, the example us a simple one, but it also shows that you have to think things through.
    Simply combining words to make jobs won't work well.
    One of the reasons for the story being as good as it is. Is the fact that the author don't just copy paste and add random word combinatiins, but think things through.
    Can't say the author doesn't do it... and if thr author does do it, it's a mix of talent and skill helping.

Another reason is the high quality translations. Where if they can translate the names of the jobb, only to later read the jobb description. Only to have to go back and change the name of the job, in every instance it appears.

I also forgot to mention the work going into making sure the stat gain from jobs and skills is balanced.

10. Feng Tian

Reading List:
    Link
    Attributes dont matter in case you havent noticed.

11. DragonMage18

DragonMage18 Outcast

Reading List:
    Link
    It was an example. Could also have used apprentice warrior, warrior and swordman.
    Where the AW and W jobs have bonuses in the same points, only with the W job having greater bonus than AW in everything. And S is a specialiced job that gives greater bonus to sword technique than W, but no bonus with other wepons.

And saying attributes dont matter. That's wrong.

12. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    That's only true if you're Van, even the cheat granted Heroes, the Bravers, have felt the difference in stats, now that they are on Lambda.

DragonMage18 and Paps like this.
  13. Feng Tian

Reading List:
    Link
    They serve no purpose in the narration. The effects don't require the actual attribute values.

14. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    If van chose the mage apprentice job, it’d max out immediately right? I mean, at this point he’s better at magic than the strongest mage so it would have to fill up instantly like demon king, right?

15. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends. If I remember correctly, actual skilled use of the job's skills, gets you very little experience towards your job, so people usually still have to kill monsters to level crafting skills, for instance. So if it works the same for magic classes, Van's advanced knowledge of theory, would probably quickly level the skills associated with apprentice mage, but not enough to max out the job...though he's still getting experience from his followers, so it might just let him take the next job immediately too....

16. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    But if van already has such high level skills related to being a mage, like his superior magic skills, wouldn’t he get it at level 100 and only a small stat growth

17. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    see i was thinking he was more pennywise like. the book version, not the movies.

Eddy andres likes this.
  18. Rendei

Rendei Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you're thinking about race ranks. Tarea needed to go kill things to become a higher ranked ghoul, which was the book's main example. But that shouldn't be the same for jobs. She definitely didn't go from slave to apprentice prostitute to prostitute by killing things.

DragonMage18 and Eddy andres like this.
  19. Eddy andres

Eddy andres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Or he could always be seen as the cheapest option, which is to say that there was an extensive list of jobs and that he chose the one that most caught his attention, although for me this system that uses densuke is excellent, even if it is not noticed by how absurd Van is, the job bonuses are very relevant.

It is also original in its own way, one can focus on one route for life or mix some to create a new one.

20. Prion

Prion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It would just be how it was describen, when Darcia took her jobchange... did no on of you thought abought just omitting the list and naming the jobs,which might be interisting to take...?