Spoiler Overgeared

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Midnight Rain, Dec 8, 2017.

1. aqua55

aqua55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's actually really interesting plot wise

And I'm curious how this assain build will compare with fakers legendary build

Might be more of a mix of warrior with stealth

ilhampamm likes this.
  2. Yogi666

Yogi666 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well looks like grid won't get hidden reward for resurrecting black tortoise unlike in Red Phoenix where he get 9th hearth and red Phoenix breath merged with him. only normal Shell that equal to Red Phoenix 1000th heart

3. Ruler4u

Ruler4u Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is fun,
    Stats difference is what I can see here but what about skills?

4. JHI

JHI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Great chapter. Like Sabaek, Hwang Gildong is making a good point. If Grid doesn't grow soon his character progression will just be annoying, undesirable and will ultimately turn him into a boring character. Grid should inquire about the reasons why guardian deities lost to the exiled gods while they were at their weakest having exiled and lacking faith. Tosun claimed they were deceived but given their unwillingness to cooperate, the five seniors could have just taken them out one by one. Plus, the guardian deities exist to protect their own lands so the five seniors could use the civilians as hostages (or if multiple sacred beasts come to the same area they could send yangbans to slaughter one of their lands). Anyway this is pure speculation at the moment and Grid is completely irresponsible for not even inquiring the most basic facts about the side he is helping.

Grid used duke of virtue already (it's a shame since keen insight would have been super useful) and I don't know if there are any cooldown resets left due to divinity. The only trump card he has left is Braham. Well, we'll have to wait and see. Magic detection and castration eye (was useful against wargod follower clones) can be useful and clones are ideal for maximizing the damage of the enlightenment sword + Madra's techniques. Hopefully, Hwang Gildong will wipe the floor with Grid. It's my policy to root against morally upright protagonists and while Grid has plenty of selfish reasons to do what he is doing now he is probably motivated by a one dimensional sense of justice. And, it would help him grow.

LordKarsus likes this.
  5. aqua55

aqua55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well he didn't get the chance to feed the crystal an enhanced black tortoise breath, which he can't even forge yet

6. LordKarsus

LordKarsus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The situation here is interesting because the Destruction Tortoise has accidentally harmed human civilization in the past so Hwang GIldong's position is reasonable.

Whereas Grid's path requires that the Black Tortoise itself achieve some growth and improvement in its abilities. But that path is also the one that Morpheus is angling for. Both for Satisfy and for Grid's own growth - into the kind of god he is meant to become. Which is a compassionate god who can connect with others through the pain he has experienced in his own past.

At present, there are definitely issues with how stable the Guardian Gods are. Especially if they don't work together. One of the Yangban mentioned that the Blue Dragon at least had put the five seniors on the spot on its own, before they somehow beat it (probably using powerful skills or spells). So the Guardians probably are powerful - just not powerful enough for a 1 vs 5.

I'm personally betting that the Four Guardians merge at some point into a single God - or that they give much of their power to Grid at some point in the distant future.

Ruler4u likes this.
  7. JHI

JHI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Guardian Gods were at full power while facing against the 5 seniors. They were fully deified, in their own fields, had their full power... Just to take Red Phoenix as an example, the five seniors removed who knows how many hearts from Suzaku. All of these removals decreased its powers. Suzaku then gave 9th heart and 999th heart to Grid, further reducing his own power. In the meantime, the exiled gods mastered the power of the Guardian Gods, gained faith of an entire continent and so on. I'd also expect just Hanul to be able to fight any of the guardian gods one on one. We know Chiyou is stronger than the guardian gods and in chapter 1170 it said "A power equivalent to the Three Gods was invoked." referring to Chiyou. Now this doesn't necessarily mean the three gods are equal to Chiyou in strength. IMO, Yatan is probably stronger than Hanul so they can't all be equals. Still, the statement puts someone stronger than the Guardian Gods in the same ballpark as the three gods. So yeah, the Guardian Gods would be stomped. It could be a case where they would have to spend a portion of their strength to suppress Suzaku which they were supposed to save for the gods of Asgard.

Grid is perfectly justified in following the path Morhpeus set up for him. It's just that he's not persuading anyone who would disagree with him. Plus I dislike the whole evolving to a god of virtue thing. To me, Grid should be smt like a god of fate or more specifically controlling/defying fate with persistence (God of labor sounds lame). Even the help he has given to others follows this path. If it wasn't for him, the empire was fated to be destroyed, Piaro was fated to remain a bitter recluse, Suzaku was fated to remain sealed (from Suzaku's perspective) and humanity was fated to suffer from Hexetia's envy (in the eyes of the seven malignant saints). That's why you'll find those who have been helped by Grid say things like "“You have uprooted our cursed fate" (Evil eyes king), "You changed the flow." (Corruption) and "You have created a crack in the providence forced by Hanul." (Suzaku).

Being either one of those two would lead him to help Black Tortoise. However one makes him shout "you're wrong" like an immature shounen protagonist (which is what happened with Sabaek) while the other makes Grid a respectable badass. Overcoming challenges through hard work and persistence is what makes Grid a likable character. His craftsmanship is a way for him to solve his problems and his mindset is focused on solving problems rather than deliberating about the consequences of his actions. So his reply to Hwang Gildong should be I am going to change the way things will be. In any case, I want hardworking aspect of Grid to be emphasized more than his emphatetic side.

8. zerol1

zerol1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have to agree and disagree with you

Hwang plan is not to trying restore the balance or even an good intentions behind it he just whant to weaken and kill the yangban and for him water is just less risky since he don't see the beasts as possible allies just as an faith sponge

Also hwan plain is flawed because he is like Pagma he don't see the problems with emotion or faith just solution's. by going his way the turtle will have less than half it power and the balance of the beast will be broken and that will cause the fall of the gods in the long run.
    Hwan it is like "first we kill the yangban and after it we see what is there to fix"

While grid is "let's have faith and be better and fix all we can"

9. LordKarsus

Reading List:
    Link
    Few people care about some kind of greater balance. And it's not about it being less risky to get the water tortoise. The destruction tortoise has in fact caused harm to humanity before. It even wanted Grid to kill it because it knows that its powers usually bring suffering to humans.

Whereas Grid currently has no plan for how to make the Destruction Tortoise less dangerous, beyond a general hope and faith in its good intent.

So admittedly, I don't catch all the details of the chapters. It's true that the Tortoise will be weaker, but it won't be 50% power. Most of the relevant faith for the Black Tortoise will ultimately go to the water tortoise once the destruction tortoise is destroyed. So, it may end up being 80-90% of its original power.

Also... There's just no good reason for humans to want to restore the old gods in a way that they retain their balance between them. The ideal case for most humans in the modern world would just be to not have gods or... In the case of heroes like Grid, they might want to ascend to Godhood themselves. And that'll likely eat away at some of the faith that the existing gods have.

I'm sure Rebecca isn't going to appreciate it if Grid starts cutting into her faith.

Ruler4u likes this.
  10. RaNa531

RaNa531 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Rightly said...

11. RaNa531

RaNa531 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't say that as such...
    I did say I was around 100th chapter... And it's interesting... So far so good.

12. LordKarsus

Reading List:
    Link
    Harem females often do often have things going for them in even most harem series.

In Grid's harem you have: Irene (a lady), Jishuka and Yura (both top rankers, with one being a legend that is critical for all demon fights, and the other soon to be a legend), Mercedes (serious legend)... Pending: Marie Rose (almost godly figure).

Old man harem: Piaro, Braham...

-

But character development... With the kind of story that Overgeared is, it's not just that the harem isn't the focus, no character is really the focus. It's Grid's story. All characters exist to support Grid in one way or the other. Nobody else gets any major development or has any major goals of their own in a very significant way.

We're just enjoying Grid's journey and his rise to Godhood.

bsnog likes this.
  13. aqua55

aqua55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It would be really cool if Grid does something unexpected and find a way to make the death ego become a separate god and the turtle it's own water god self.

That would be a really cool twist

Ruler4u likes this.
  14. JHI

JHI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Those are only the serious lover candidates among the female harem. If you look at the entire cast of females who would drop everything if Grid proposed to them, the list goes on quite a bit. Park Yerim, Han Sua, Euphemina, Yang Fei, Basara... Isabel was introduced as one of the 3 ultimate badass weapons of the Rebecca Church and she both loves and is loved by Damian. Yet she was super shy to Grid in front of Damian. Like if Isabel hadn't confessed to Damian the next instant, he was completely resigned to remain a platonic lover. Mercedes belonged to this category as well until Grid suddenly recognized her feelings very recently. Even Lord's harem is basically women Grid is not interested in. The 200 candidates were originally impressionable girls who were smitten by their manly savior.

Overgeared has a great deal of world building and it's definitely more than just Grid's story but we should separate the characters into two. Most characters have their own goals but this is more prevalent among the npcs than the players. Players generally aim for catching up to Grid, being strong enough to stand by his side or just becoming the strongest (Kraugel, Regas etc.). The players that can experience significant growth include Agnus, Yura, Zibal and Damian. There have been some growth we are not really interested in such as Katz and Toon becoming normal and there are characters like Euphemina who can help other characters. Generally, the more you treat satisfy as a reality, the more likely you become to go through a character arc. That's why Grid, Agnus and Damian stand ahead of most players in this respect. But I doubt Peak Sword or Huroi will change.

By contrast npcs are treated like actual characters of a story. Hexetia, Braham, Piaro, Asmophel and Mercedes all have their own character arcs. Similarly Beniyaru, Evil Eyes King, Maxong, Kasim and the like generally have a flaw or they are carrying emotional scars that are usually healed by Grid. We even know quite a bit about the story and character development of some of the past people like Shizo Beriache, Pagma and Madra. We know the goals and/or the development path of all these characters. None of them would become uninteresting characters if the author one day decided to remove Grid from the story (ok, except Maxong). So @LordKarsus 's
    applies mostly to the players and it is just wrong for npcs. I enjoy the world and the lore quite a bit so I would love to see mini-arcs/side stories where the focus shifts to npcs and the history of Satisfy.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Windowsea likes this.
  15. aqua55

aqua55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The fact that ik it's gonna take like 4 - 5 chapters until we get a resolution for the black turtle is slowly killing me as I wait

Makes me feel better know the next chapter is probably gonna come out today, if not, tomor

16. LordKarsus

Reading List:
    Link

Grid gets attacked by the hundreds of Hwang Gildong. He's shocked. Grid himself has never been able to coordinate multiple clones for more effective battle because they're so hard to simultaneously manage. Yet here Hwang has hundreds. And they all seem to be acting independently as if they have their own personalities and will.

Hwang asks Grid to hand over the Destruction Tortoise (DT) so it can be killed and all the faith transferred to the Water Tortoise (WT), as they hold Grid down and stop him from being able to move or use any skills.

Suddenly, Hwang sees a dangerous light in Grid's eyes.

"I will not allow your comfort!"

When the dust clears there's only one Hwang Gildong left grabbing onto Grid's lower body. He looks shocked.

Grid tells him to get the fuck off of him.

Hwang is chill, continues to smile. Says that it's ultimately best for humanity if the Destruction Tortoise dies.

DT agrees, all lonely and miserable. It mentions three cases where its power caused a disaster.

A young king came to be blessed. The blessing made him stronger but also melted his armor. He died from an arrow as he was going back.

Another man, a hunter, brought his mother to be healed. She was healed by the blessing but his bow melted, and he was eaten by a tiger as he was going home.

In a third case, the people asked for rain for their crops. The rain restored the destroyed land, but it also destroyed much of their farming tools... Fucked!

DT is just super miserable telling these stories, saying that he deserves to die.

Hwang is like "See, even DT himself thinks he should be dead."

Grid remembers being judged as not useful by people, but also he's like... "How is it all DT's fault? What were the King's retainers doing? And did the King not already know DT's powers? He couldn't just take off his armor before getting the blessing? How is all the responsibility DT's with none of it belonging to the morons who asked for the blessing knowing what would happen?" Also... "The weakened Tortoise will disrupt the balance and create unknown complications."

Hwang Gildong (HG) smiles... It was a test. Not that he wasn't thinking of killing DT. But even so.

Hwang Gildong says that he actually knows what kind of person Grid is and that he's going the right path. Also, if Grid ever needs help, he can use certain symbols in any of the cities in the North, and Hwang Gildong's followers will come and help Grid.

He then talks about the Yangban defending the other two sacred weapons. One of them is Mir... Who can manifest the powers of all four sacred creatures without using their breaths... HG thinks that taking him out might be impossible for Grid with his current power so Grid should spend some time preparing and growing his abilities / forces.

He hands Nogma over to Grid, saying that he's worth keeping around. And then he vanishes. Not via Sunpo, but through a yet higher level ability so that there's no super speed movement. He's just gone.

Grid takes the Destruction Tortoise to the altar where Hwang Gildong revealed he was keeping the Water Tortoise... And then a new light fills the land.

Lmaster, Windowsea, zerol1 and 6 others like this.
  17. JHI

JHI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The first two stories are not DT's fault but the third one kinda sucks. I'm surprised the houses and the cities were left intact. It's weird that Grid didn't mention the elves. Elves live in tune with nature, they have weapons to protect themselves and a village. It's definitely a bit too much to expect an entire kingdom to lose the fruits of the civilization and all but still I thought he would have at least mentioned it.

Hopefully he gets a decent reward from this. It was only a couple dozen chapters ago that he wanted to recreate a sword breaker item. He could now make an equipment breaker item, one that could maybe overpower even the cursed weapon of Agnus. He also didn't touch Hydra's byproducts yet. I wish we would get fast blacksmithing chapters before we get national competition info dumps.

18. Ruler4u

Ruler4u Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nogma Another spy subordinate? Hg abilities are quite solid from stats to skills, I wonder if he got a class or third class that's a variant of black's class illusions from the black and white sisters.
    Grid really needs to continue his first class,expand his all class skills and add some useful skills. Grid really needs to learn how to fight like Braham the OG Nuke spamming guy.

19. aqua55

aqua55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems like in order to beat Mir, Grid is gonna need a piece of each of the 4 gods along with their breaths in order to fully overtake them,

I wonder if he's gonna manage to get the tortise breath considering it isn't a quest reward

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    zerol1 likes this.
  20. zerol1

zerol1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So hwan is like "I was gonna kill it but you have an better grasp at what is the best way so I give up my plan because I'm not stupid like pagma single-minded way of my way or my way" ....
    I like him he is flexible and actuallly saw that his plan was wrong on the long run

Pd am I the only one waiting for an new official addition of hexteria to the old man harem?

aqua55 likes this.