Inspiration or plagiarising

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Lilylam, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Lilylam

Lilylam Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, guys
    I'm curious as to what you all consider as plagiarism vs inspiration.

I wanted to write a story and a light novel really inspired me. The story is called "Kaettekite mo Fantasy!?".
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/i-came-back-but-the-world-is-still-a-fantasy/
    A boy returns home after being summoned to another world, only to find his world has also become a fantasy. I love how dark the story is, the ranking system, and the challenge the MC has to face in this new unfamiliar familiar world.

If I wanted to write a story based on the novel above, at what point would it be considered plagerism?
    I originally wanted to write a story based on this novel due to how slow the story is being updated… I was just not satisfied with how little we got to read at the time. The novel first began around April 2013, almost 7 years have past, yet the story is still ongoing. There's a long gap between the upload of each chapter… and it drives me insane. I wasn't sure if I wanted to write a fanfic about this story instead but I don't think I would do a good job. I was also more interested in creating my own characters and setting with that as a premise. Over time I began to wonder what was the line between plagiarism and inspiration. I would hate myself if I plagerised someone else's blood, sweet and tears.

Ranji-chan likes this.
  2. Blankdom

Blankdom Unknown

Reading List:
    Link
    Just my opinion, but as long as you're actually coming up with the plot / actions of the character, it's inspiration / fanfiction. Especially so, if you insert your own character into the world and what not, as that is basically the definition of fanfiction.

But if you copy the story, word for word, that's plagiarism -- Reminds me of this one guy on scribblehub that uploaded a direct copy of a translated novel, without giving any indication about it, then claiming that they are rewriting it.

3. Cruxia

Cruxia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Provided you are not directly copy and pasting the author's work/translation directly into your own story, then it would be difficult to call that plagiarism.

It's fine to write with keeping the story in mind as inspiration and to even use the same premise. Just think of all the LitRPG novels out there, they all basically have the same story, but they are not accused of plagiarism

4. DragonMage18

DragonMage18 Outcast

Reading List:
    Link
    Plagarism, is usual only counted as word for word copying, but it's stil plagarism if you just change how you write it.
    Randlof walked down the road, heading for the grey mountian, after hearing about a dragon living there in the tavern.
    Gandolf heard about a dragon living in the gray mountin, while eating in the towns bar and is walking down the road to go and slay it.
    Some would say chases like those are plagarism, others not. So just don't go editing the story and changing the names of the characters.

You can use the setting, some plotpoints, characther ideas, go for the same tone. Just remember to write YOUR story! Not editing/rewriting another story in a way that makes it hard to recognize.

imK, Lilylam, Blankdom and 2 others like this.
  5. Underload

Underload <I need someone to scratch my back!>

Reading List:
    Link
    Reminds me of solo leveling manga scene where all the readers are calling very other book with a system copy cat, not understanding how basic a story it has and how far in the chain it is in terms of being original.

6. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Plagiarism is when you copy someone else completely and claims it was yours.

7. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude, you can read a story, get some ideas then craft something out, please tell me you have the minimum mental capacity for some ideas of your own.

Note that while story lines are cliche, different writers have different approach in things, so unless you have the one in a thousand chance of writing something that has a very similar setting to a story that you claimed you never read before, it should be another one in a ten thousand chance that some characters do things differently, like interractions with characters, how the mobs deal with characters etc etc.

Plagiarism is basically you ripping a simple setting from somewhere and may or may not tweak the storyline/ names to follow through with yours. Often times these are blatently obvious, like the one time I thought I finally read some interesting isekai story, which turned out to be ripped DIRECTLY FROM AN OLD VIDEO GAME. The author didn't even bother with tweaking the plot and just follow through, he can make it into a fanfic by continuing the story into a dfferent plot, but sadly a thief's brain is only useful to steal and he dropped it.

For instance, the "getting taunted in the adventurer guild" trope is so old, you can basically write a couple of endings, from faceslapping, to being humble and this leads elsewhere, to humiliation play, to getting to know new companions who are not that asshole to newbies or fake companions who will sell you off to slavery or outright mug you, to training arc, merchants or whatever BS you can come up with. For those long time readers should be able to tell which stories I am speaking of from the above endings.

8. Macrendil Ysmir

Macrendil Ysmir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Aah, reminds me of the university plagiarism check. So easily deceived by paraphrasing.

But honestly, as long as its your own thought up character doing his things (which might be similar to the original it is based on) you should be fine. A prime example of a current translation would be Shoujo Grand Summoning, here on NU. It has a new MC going through various different VERY well known LN/anime worlds. But it doesn't put him in the local MC's shoes but has him do his own quests and along the way he beats up powerfull enemies from that world while effectively kidnapping every desirable female there is, like Mikoto Misaka (Toaru no Index), Kurumi (DateALive) and so on.

But in case of possible monetisation of the work, you need to be very careful. Different authors/agencies react differently to fanfictions etc., and different countries have different views on what is and what isn't plagiarism along with different sentences and penalties.

TokioftheBel, imK and Lilylam like this.
  9. Warlock Of The Void

Warlock Of The Void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well like @DragonMage18 said there r different levels of plagiarism but he was quite spot on. If u just edit the story a little without bringing any changes it is plagiarism But if u change things to fit Your Narrative it's inspiration or fanfic.

DragonMage18 likes this.
  10. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unlike what many are saying, plagiarism isn't a direct copy. Even if you change names or other minor details if the major derails are the same then it can be considered plagiarism.
    As for the line, just don't follow the same path, don't make the places the same, or use names that aren't related and you should be fine. If you just use the premise and write your own ideas using that it isn't plagiarism.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    imK and Lilylam like this.
  11. Serviet

Serviet Random bumpkin

Reading List:
    Link
    I might be wrong but I would say common sense is also a good metric.

People that are plagiarizing a story are generally aware they are doing it. As @0000000 said, everyone has a different way to write and different tastes. Thus, unless you focus on replicating exactly what happened on another novel, I think it's highly unlikely you will face this kind of criticism.

TokioftheBel, Lilylam and 0000000 like this.
  12. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    It's impossible to plagiarise others without you yourself actively trying to do it. So, don't worry!

I have my works told that resembled legends and other storylines I never knew existed! Even some of the main plots were so identical that it shocked me!

TokioftheBel and imK like this.
  13. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    This. Depending on your country's laws the degrees of separation may vary. Seems like an awfully common temptation amongst faux-writers and failing University students.