Question I wonder if you like this kind of novel

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by novellike, Mar 25, 2020.

1. novellike

novellike Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm translating an Oriental classical novel named Liu in the Imperial Harem. This book is Jiang Yingliu’s memoir, which narrates Liu’er life from Beauty to Empress in the palace. Under the plain sentences lies the difficult life in the palace for more than 50 years. It's a good short story with just 21 chapters and 21 side chapters. But it is difficult to translate so that I spent a lot of time on that. The book with complex relationships between characters who actually look much more lifelike. What's more, this novel attracts me most beacuse its underlined meanings of the poems and some sentences. I really this is a beautiful novel. But it seems that not too many people are reading this. So I'm wondering if you like this kind of novel?

The novel link: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/liu-in-the-imperial-harem/
    The original Chinese text: https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/c_1114680589206294528

If you have any advice on the book, please let me know.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  2. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    The story and translation look good. I like this kind of novel but it's not something I read every day.
    I'll add to my interest list and probably will check it after a few more chapters are updated.
    You probably have to wait for a few more days until everyone else checks it since it's fairly new in the listing.

3. novellike

novellike Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What kind of novel do you like most?

4. Damsell in Distress

Damsell in Distress Waiting for dashing MC to save me from myself

Reading List:
    Link
    Ward...
    Just wanna confirm, is the lead here from female or male, and what is the role of the lead in the palace..
    Seems interesting but I usually binge read this kind of story, so warddd....!!!

5. novellike

novellike Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The main lead is female. This novel describe the female lead's whole life. She grew up from a nobody to the most noble Empress

Vaeleri likes this.
  6. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm? :blobsweat:
    If you're asking for future projects' prospects, I would say it's a bad idea to ask other people. I am becoming more and more of a believer that you should only translate something you enjoy unless you're aiming to be a professional.
    If you're asking personally, I think my reading lists are open so you can just take a look at it directly. :blobmelt:

7. novellike

novellike Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was just asking personally, thanks for your reply. I will keep on translating something I like.

8. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    What is the main focus of the story? If thery're tragedy and politic then maybe I'll read.

9. novellike

novellike Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The main focus of this novel is about the happiness and suffering of these girls' life in the imperial Harem. I can't say it is a tragedy, because for someone, it's bitter in the harem and they ended up in a miserable way, while for someone, they had a goof life and gain what they wanted. But in my respective, most people in the imperial harem are destined to be miserable. As for the politics, sometime it will be mentioned, but not too much.

All in all, this is worth a try.

10. Dizaster

Dizaster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree. I prefer novels with a balance of all emotions positive and negative and since that's not really common I balance my mood myself by alternating between them. I am an immersive reader which means while reading heavy stuff I might become upset and remain that way from 30 min to 2-3 hours straight. But since I like to read novels that can give me an insight into other people's lives, I enjoy reading them, albeit at my own pace and according to my mood. I'll definitely give the novel a try after I am done with my current ones.
    Thanks for the hardwork.

Snowbun likes this.
  11. Dizaster

Dizaster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, just went and read the description. The poem you translated has gotten me hooked. I love the way you translated it. Hats off.
    I will wait for you to complete it before reading it in one go. As I think this'll be one of the few books worth the wait.
    I am holding onto your words, there better be more poems in there, that's the only reason I wont MTL it. Keep up the good work!!!