Recommendations A novel similar to Monarch of Evernight

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by fireutsie, Mar 25, 2020.

1. fireutsie

fireutsie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been reading Monarch of Evernight recently and I really liked it despite of its flaws. I would like to find something similar to it if it exists. The main points I liked about it were:

The main character grows, this takes a while but he broadens his world view through his experiences which changes his behavior towards different factions and people. He is someone who isn't without reason that only knows how to kill.

The interactions between the major side characters is good. It feels like you are watching a group of friends/relatives getting together and having fun, they also share their own troubles and happiness. They aren't just there to prop up the mc's awesomeness or act as his sidekicks. They also have their own plans and goals.

The scheming and plots going around. Clans and powerful people are actually weighing the pros and cons of their actions. People backing off when they see that the general situation is unfavorable. Or take even more drastic action when seeing a big chance. Even defeated enemies can be made use of if needed. Dumb people who only know how to abuse their power will inevitably fall.

The combat; there are guns but also melee weapons. Each weapon has their own use and excel in their area. For example, sniper rifles are good for ambushing from afar, but revolvers, shotguns and melee weapons are good for close combat. There is also usage of traps with explosives, airships, vehicles ect. When we combine this with war tactics then it makes up for some entertaining fights.

The story had a surprising amount of depth to it, and I would like to find some more novel like it. The story being a fantasy novel isn't a must.
    I've already read Lord of the Mysteries and The First Order.

2. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    The closest thing that able to meet your standard is Black Iron's Glory.
    It has the political element, the MC's struggle, and Muskets as the main weapon. The story takes place in a fictitious world that is similar in Napoleonic era, with magic as the finishing touch. But the magic is so insignificant that it doesn't have a major role in that world, because it was weaker than muskets and some secrets that we still have yet known.
    It has a surprising amount of depth, but a very slow start. You need to have patience if you're looking for the action.

3. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe Super God Gene .

It's not that magic was useless, it's that too few could become mages, and most mages were pretty easily killed by a group of peasants with muskets, thus rendering any effort, skills , talent or training useless.

They then sort of divided, combat mages in secret national security departments , researching mages research whatever they're told to or can research, thus replacing part of the scientific technological development. Other types of mages exist as well ,but they're pretty rare and tend to live in hiding.

4. Ukasio

Ukasio Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I will second Black Iron’s Glory - it's great. Also check out Forty Millenniums of Cultivation. Author in later parts puts out really interesting perspectives on social paradigms in cultivation.

5. livorino

livorino Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  6. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Kingdom's Bloodline

7. Setra

Setra Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. fireutsie

fireutsie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look into them.

9. bored nobody

bored nobody Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sword of Dawnbreaker

10. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link