Question Can someone explain of Er'Gen Novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by UnknownSaint171, Mar 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    After reading 500 chapters of RI I just skipped to the end. The ending didn't even add proper closure.
    Do the couple really become Mortals? I thought they would go on the path of Cultivation but MC looked tired as heck. But aren't they mentioned in ISSTH?

I hate how the Author is mysterious and ambiguous as heck. So they still alive in future novels or what?
    Maybe there's a lot I don't understand since I haven't started ISSTH, I heard Cultivation/life span becomes a lot better in that timeline? Please don't try to spoil it too much lol. I just want to know what became of the couple or what role do they play in this universe. It's hard to understand.

Honestly in other CNs,1k years is nothing and pretty short, so I thought there's a lot more left to see...
    I'm about to read the Pursuit of truth. Anything I should look out for?

Martialegg likes this.
  2. TheHoblit

TheHoblit Peak Dual-Cultivator

Reading List:
    Link
    That should be a crime.

Yeah, reading the entire story.

3. Xilphidae

Xilphidae ⚔Swordfish⚔

Reading List:
    Link
    I see you haven't mastered the Dao of skim-reading if you just skipped straight to the end without evening getting at least cursory glances at the chapters after 500.

There is much for you to learn young grasshopper

4. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol haha I did read the Wiki though so I'm not ignorant what happens to the characters. Guess I'll finish RI then, frustrating novel tho

5. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you telling me, that you read a third of all released chapters, then jumped from chapter 500 to the last chapter and are now confused over an apparent lack of closure?
    And a closure to what? The 500 chapters that you've read?
    ... my guy, get a grip. What you've done, is akin to someone reading the first three Harry Potter books, skipping to the last chapter of the last book and posting their dislike to the ending online ‍:notlikeblob:

6. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    Er Gen's novel always has one peculiarity: 'Engaging Story with consistent character.'
    His weakness always lies in closure, however, it is not exactly a weakness either.
    All of his books have a bittersweet closure, but I guess that is in line of his style and the xianxia genre.

This is because the Immortal path will never had an end. The true end is death itself and creating a legacy, so that the younger generation would thrive after him, hoping that someone would walk the same path as him, so that he will eternally exist. That's why you will see a lot of tomb or ruined places in any xianxia novel.
    Xianxia novels are very unique as every novel's universe are actually connected indirectly. Every author would somehow try to inherit some element from their predecessors. Similar to Western's fantasy world of warcraft that contains orc, elf, beastkin, magic, etc.

7. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You have to severe the logic and seek the Xianxia to achieve Dao Enlightenment

8. Pleasantly-plump

Pleasantly-plump Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Truly his novels should be read all at the same time for you to see the intricate links that they all share. Also from a holistic view all of the characters that share parts of the same verse have a different approach and reason to pursue the peak of cultivation.

9. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Read the damn novel like a normal person...

10. Sparteh

Sparteh The Devourer

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with everyone who says that reading like that is a crime. How could you ever hope to understand anything if you skip 75% of the story?

Yes, they are alive. However, it is not that mysterious. In fact when it comes to WL and ISSTH, I would say it is crystal clear. However, once again, if you want to understand things related to RI which happen in ISSTH, you should know RI first....

Yes, read the entire thing or at the very least 700 or so chapters, otherwise, if you are going to continue with your reading style, don't bother at all. Reasons why:
    1. The beginning is greatly misleading. How I always put it when I talk about this novel, the first book is basically the same as the description of the crime scene in mystery/detective novels. If you read only the first book, it might look like standard Chinese novel with cliche cheat and luck thing, but it is in fact far from the true.
    2. Story is REALLY HEAVILY character and plot based. In addition, even the majority of techniques are greatly connected to both plot and character development. It goes to such extent, that sometimes skipping a few chapters could make you completely misunderstand everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.