Question Novel website project

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Kaitoss, Mar 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaitoss

Kaitoss Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, I have in mind to create a site that collects, or rather, translates the novels into Italian and I would like to do it in BabelNovel - Webnovel.com style (see also Volarenovels, Light Novel World, Flying Lines, NovelSpread, Creative Novels, Wuxiaworld.com and Wutopia which have adopted a structure which is practically the same or in any case very similar). However, I really can't find the theme/code used by all these various sites listed above and not. I have searched around a lot but I can't find any name or clue that can lead me to the type of thema used ... can someone help me? :/

EDIT: Here, this is exactly how I want my site to do it. Both the home with menus and the various novels, and the pages of the novels themselves (as they are set).

Home (img):
    Novel pages (img):

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Vaeleri likes this.
  2. Zaroz

Zaroz Existential Lurker Demonic Calamity

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, first off, have you tried asking any of them directly? I doubt Webnovel would answer, but Wuxiaworld and Volare might. I personally don't know what they use, but my guess is that they use wordpress or something similar.

Vaeleri likes this.
  3. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    lol, all of their themes are copyrighted.
    Think twice before you use any one of their themes.
    If you are not scared of consequences, then go to their sites and right-click, inspect code or F12 in google chrome.

Vaeleri likes this.
  4. Kaitoss

Reading List:
    Link
    I sent an email to all the sites mentioned in the post and to some I wrote also on facebook but I have not yet received any answers ... for the copyright question ok but I could worry about it if it was only one site and therefore "I would steal" but there are many sites that have the same base so it is obvious that it is an existing theme that they have modified for their needs.

Ah I wanted to add another site with a similar theme: Creative Novels

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  5. Guan Zhong

Guan Zhong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wuxiaworld and Volare were made by one guy, Mitch, who is one of the tech people there. He also made Gravity Tales' site. WW and volare use the same backend system, coded from scratch. It's not Wordpress, not a theme. I don't know what the other sites are using.

nonononononono likes this.
  6. Zaroz

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as you don't reuse the code itself, there is no consequences for just looking at it.
    Okay then.

For the OP: Let me ask a question. Are you doing this alone, or do you have a team?
    • If you have a team, I would suggest either looking into roping in Mitch or another web admin to manage your site. There would be a lot of issues with user management and other issues that you probably don't want to handle.

• If you are alone in this endeavor, I would suggest using Wordpress or another builder and just making your own custom theme. If you are on your own, there is only so much you can translate at a time, so it would be easier to build on as you go.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  7. NodiX

NodiX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Copying theme from other site isn't as simple as copy paste it from chrome dev tool...

I think you're quoting the wrong person here. Guan Zhong is translator from Volare who once worked for RWX, she's not looking to create a website on her own.

8. Zaroz

Reading List:
    Link
    The "okay, then" was the reply to the quote. The rest was for the OP

9. Kaitoss

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks everyone for the answers. However, at the moment we are only 2 since it is currently just an idea. I manage the site and my friend as a translator. To view source or F12... it is not so easy to copy an XD theme and in any case it was not my intention to copy-steal, in fact I am damaging myself to ask around the various teams but I have not yet received answers ç_ç

Guan Zhong: As for the theme, since Wuxia and Volare were created by one person, it is possible to ask if you are aware of a ready-made theme (whether it is wordpress or not) that is as similar as possible in functions and / or appearance ?

10. NodiX

NodiX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    She already said those websites are made from scratch. So unless they're willing to give you the source code, you won't get much from asking them themes that they work for months to develop in-house. At most they're gonna tell you the frameworks they're using - but that's not really a secret, WW is using React and Bootstrap for the frontend and .NET Core for the backend.

What's your need to start publishing your website anyway? Do you need website with features to host serialized webnovel or just want the same UI design as them?

11. Kaitoss

Reading List:
    Link
    Website with features to host serialized webnovel ç_ç

12. NodiX

NodiX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then is this one good enough for you?

Kaitoss likes this.
  13. Kaitoss

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, but I was also interested in the structure of the novel cards divided into info panels and chapters and the free/premium content part (BabelNovel, Webnovel.com, Flying Lines, etc)...

14. NodiX

NodiX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not getting what you mean by novel cards, but for premium contents, Patreon advanced chapters is on the roadmap albeit there's more things to prioritize right now.

However, if you're looking for chapters paywall like Webnovel does, then I can't really help you with that. In that case you need to look for developers who willing to work for you for months, or commision one - I think if you could get decent freelancer for $10k it's already considered cheap.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  15. Kaitoss

Reading List:
    Link
    Novel cards... ops, i mean novel page: divided into info & chapter panels...

16. Kaitoss

Reading List:
    Link
  17. NodiX

NodiX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The original design intended to be something like that, but I recently busy doing a revamp the system for offline-mode and the heavy rewrite on chapter reading page so that it can support both legacy "one page one chapter" and infinite loading in the future, so I don't have much time polishing beyond showcasing basic features like that offline reading and theme picker that I recently added.

Anyway, I want to let you know beforehand that while I'm providing websites for free, I don't disclose my source code. So if you want some features added you have to put a request through me. The website also currently in development, so if you want to host your website with me, you'll have to be patient in dealing with no CMS and some cutting edge technologies that sometimes are still unstable in browsers. But the perk of being early adopter is that I'll listen to custom request to a certain degree--which is something that I won't do (for free) in the future, since I intended to support many other websites with only one source code.

And please be mindful that I don't provide "spirit stones" like scheme to unlock chapters like Webnovel.com does. Maybe I'll do some paywall per book, since I intended to rope in some Amazon Kindle authors in the future, but I won't do hard paywall chapters.

If you still want this just email me at [email protected]. Tell me some general info about your website and a subdomain you want to chose (it will be hosted on xxxxx.netlify.com). The hosting is free, but if you want custom domain you have to bring it yourself -- though I recommend to use free subdomain first and see whether you like working on the website or not, and buy a domain later when your website launched.

DalangTala likes this.
  18. Kaitoss

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, thanks for the replies. I wrote you an email :)

DalangTala likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.