Discussion What happened if the 7 deadly sins are gone?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Martialegg, Mar 28, 2020.

?

Which of the 7 deadly sins that you want to erase the most?

1. Pride

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  2. Envy

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  3. Gluttony

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. Lust

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Wrath

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  6. Greed

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  7. Sloth

7 vote(s)
    14.0%
  8. None. I think they're all important part of a human.

21 vote(s)
    42.0%
  1. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Hohoho, I'd erase Lust in a jiffy~ Cause I'm selfish like that. I'm asexual and don't look at others in a sexual way, so I get mighty annoyed when I get looked at in a sexual way. I want to be invisible to others and live my life in comfort, and not get involved in their lust. I see potentially two positive things coming from erasing Lust: Humans phase out of the planet naturally. No need to kill them with a virus, just wait 100 years and they're mostly gone or significantly lessened. Or, humans desperately develop a way to artificially create babies just by donated sperm and egg, and also carry them to term in artificial wombs. You get to erase the undesirable genes and keep the good ones and you get your perfect baby home. Un, if I didn't need to get pregnant, I'd be fine with getting a baby like that. Especially since it won't inherit any of my family's shit genes. Also, if people weren't so preoccupied with sex, wouldn't they develop toward a transcendent species faster?

2. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Humans return back to the time of Adam and Eve. They do not die but human civilization will definitely regressed back to the ancient days.

3. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    That's actually a good point lmao. I wonder why I felt that we're better off without greed and without sloth?

Excellent point. It is never the sins fault, but our heart's weakness to stop that overflowing desire!
    Alas, it's not that easy ;-;

Ofc course you'll be resting, but you have to understand that you'd prefer to 'work' rather than 'resting'. It is essentially what workaholic does. We always have this feeling of 'laziness' if we really look into it, but most often it is overshadowed by our feeling of responsibility, fear of consequences, desire to improve, etc.
    We're afraid that 'laziness' would act like a mold and grow uncontrollably, that's why we always kept it in check.
    However, 'laziness' by itself is there to put the balance in our desire to rest. Without that desire, you will try to minimize rest as much as possible. You will only sleep if you 'feel tired' or scheduled 5 - 6 hours of sleep.
    But sadly, what you think and feel, doesn't really reflect what your body actually needs.
    Despite it is a day-off, you will feel that you're healthy enough and fine enough to do a bit more work.
    You have this desire to work or you'll be having anxiety while resting.
    Just like worker bees and worker ants, only resting as low as 8 minute for every 12 hours to 4 hours a day. Only to relax their muscles when necessary. Working till you drop.
    That's why workaholic and slaves of the past often died early. :cry:

4. Martialegg

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah. the civilization would be entirely different. That's why it's so interesting.
    In the future, there is a possibility that we can manipulate how the 7 deadly sins work. We can remove them at will. Ofc, with all of the sides effect :LOL:

It is overeating, but also the desire to consume as well. The desire to consume everything the world has to offer, without thinking of the consequences to your own body, other people, and the world is basically gluttony.
    This often results in over-hunting and over-storing, without minding whether the food would be eaten or not, because food often has a short shelf-life. When the food is spoiled, then the person would throw it away and hunt for more. The cycle continues and the wasted food piles up. Keep in mind that fresh food and salted food are different, so the person would hunt more just to taste more things.

The key difference in between Greed and Gluttony is the difference in 'Consumption'. Greed only requires the rightful ownership of the resource, while Gluttony requires 'absorption' or 'consumption' to truly makes the resource belongs to you.
    In addition to that, Gluttony also add enjoyment and pleasure in the experience of 'tasting', which effectively doubles the amount of food wastes.

5. Martialegg

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahahahaha It just flows naturally, mate. I can't stop what I started xD

Yeah. That's the current universal understanding of the world as well. The chaotic element of the humanity is the driving force to improve and prosper. If all the 7 sins are gone, then we're all basically computer or AI.

Very Interesting! I have never thought of it that way. You're completely right that fanaticism is also a sin. Totally agreed.

I think Adam and Eve already has the 7 sins. It's just that they have God to personally taught them. Otherwise, the snake won't be able to tempt Eve and Adam would stop Eve.
    About that regression, I think that rather than regression, it's more like stagnated.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  6. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're editing human nature, why stop at 7? I propose you delete 2 more "sins", stupidity and short sightedness lol.

Just in case people don't know, the "7 deadly sins" isn't in any religion, it was a cultural construct from somewhere so far back no one knows where it came from but made popular by the Greeks.

7. Martialegg

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahahaha you meant 'Ignorance' and 'Selfishness'.
    But you're right, since the 7 deadly sins are actually just a cultural construct, built by the churches to exercise their faith more effectively.
    However, as limited and biased as they are, the 7 deadly sins are an effective way for many people to understand the basic of human nature.
    The topic remains strong as it is today. After all, it is easy to see other's weakness, but hard to see our own weakness.
    Most often, even if you know about it, you will feign ignorance to it or trying to reason with it. That's just human nature.

8. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My point is that people attribute it to religion, especially Christianity/Catholicism but in fact, the first origin of it was Aristotle, who isn't in any definition either of these religions and actually made famous by a play "Faust" by Gothe and nothing to do with a church, so it usually gets mistaken as religious doctrine when in fact it was just mostly from a play.

9. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    I am firm believer in the fall. Humans did not have sin in their DNA until the fall. God definitely in any version personally did not want them to eat that apple. They were able to eat it, because they were given free will. Free will and in their ignorance of the consequences that come with it. Adam and Eve were like homunculi, in a sense, they were alive but empty of its contents. There was no knowledge in them until they ate that apple. The apple granted them knowledge about good and evil, but in return it allowed sin to corrupt them. Sin already existed way before the creation. The rebellion in heaven likely predated the creation of mankind.

10. --MON--

--MON-- «Observer» «Death» «Lazy Reader»

Reading List:
    Link
    do you know the existence of the 7 heavenly virtues? it oposes the 7 deadly sins (chastity, abstinence, liberality, diligence, patience, kindness, humility)

11. --MON--

Reading List:
    Link
    if you really believe it, did you know that it stated that what they ate is not an apple but a forbidden fruit. beside for all we know bible stories may just be another novel written in the ancient times passed down to today and gained many believers that it formed a religion.

nothing is actually bad in believing and devoting to a religion, because by doing so humans gained something to blame when they fall and also lean on when they are at their lowest. if you think it carefully without religion and based on the current state of human minds, many that belong to religions would crumble and go crazy or atleast on the verge of it. in a sense religion is their salvation.

but there's one thing i'm really curious about. why do humans want to spread their beliefs to others and sometimes forcing others? some even go to the extreme causing others missery and misfortune sometimes death in the name of their beliefs.

i used to have a religion (but inow i only have religion on papers only), i would go to church and sometimes pray when i'm at my lowest and give thanks when something good happen. but something came to my mind, it is what a person believe in themselves. then i ask this question my self, does he really know what will happen to my life? does he really know who i am? do i really have purpose in being alive? did he gave life to me? and i came up with answers based o n my observation throughout the years and the difference whether i belive or not. no he does not, no he does not, no i didn't have purpose being alive, no he did not gave life to me my parents did. so i started to believe only one thing, there is a god (a lazy one who doesn't really care aboiy the world and everything in it, even the universe) and everyone creates their own purpose to live.

why do people have religion? so they can have purpose to live since without purpose they won't know how to proceed with their life. they want to have something to lean on, blame, thanks, and something they feel like it gives them purpose to love and continue living.

for me religion is nothing but a tool humans use. if you really believe in it you don't have to do things for it. and if the god you're really believing is true, you don't need to devote yourself to them and just by believing and doing nothing will suffice. since a true god only creates and destroy nothing more nothing less. they might care about their creations but not enough to sacrifice something for it (like sacrificing offsprings for the sake of other's sins) they care since it's their creation not because of their purpose. the purpose of everything is be created and be destroyed. humans, after being created not knowing their purpose created a way to give their life purpose which is the same as them, create and destroy. some even want to be a god and create a life.

12. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    Why does this involve religion or my faith towards the subject of sin? I'm looking at this in a historical perspective. Humans commit evil and design it, because of a flaw in our DNA. Sin to me is an actual program than some curse. Sin is in our genes. The forbidden fruit was flawed!! Our suppose ancestors ate the damned thing and became flawed as well.

13. --MON--

Reading List:
    Link
    what i mean is adam and eve isn't nescessarily where human started (ancestors), it is what others belief to be how humans came to be. the forbidden fruit even it is the biggest flaw in the whole thing. sins only became sins since everybody says so, and not because it is in the genes, dna, rna. so saying involving adam, eve, and the forbidden fruit is involving religion. if you are planning to argue about sins don't use religious characters since religion or the one writtenbin the bible is nescessarily true. first it is revised many timea in different languages. how can you be so sure that everything written in it are what it is exactly as the one in the original? it is the same as the translated novels. next given how many religion there is, then let's assume that every religion is true. there will be many gods ruling the same field following the same rules and doing the same thing. for example greek, roman, egyptian, etc. different god overlap each other which doesn't make sense. then there comes the religions with only 1 god which is considered omnipotent and all powerful, why would an omnipotent and all powerful god make flawed creations?

sins is just how majority treat it and how they dictate it that's why it became sins. let's set animals for example, they are i telligent beings with lower intelligence than humans but still intelligent. they kill others to survive which is a sin in the commandments, and humans also kill animals which is the same, the only difference is they are from different specie and they kill others from different specie. so why don't humans spread their religion to animals? they are created by the same god. so when animals do it it's called survival but if humans did it it's sin. humans kill animals, animals kill humans, humans kill humans, animal kill animals. it's a cycle but the thing is no human calls animals sinful because they thought they are different which is funny because they are made by the same god.

so basically, sins are sins because majority says it is a sin and not some codes written in the genes, rna, dna or what the forbidden fruit did to adam and eve.

14. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't understand what you gain from telling me this? Are you telling to me to convert from a religious standpoint to a scientific standpoint? Science does not reject religion but just downplays it to a realm of conventional understanding. Science merely unravels the old system of how we perceive the universe. The old system being faith or in these cases around the world, it would be religion. Not to be associated with misguided false believers or false teachers of their faith. Magic is dying out but humans continue to advance towards the future. We have become our own gods through science. Science is the new law and has succeeded in almost bringing magic into extinction. I see no difference between science and magic except the rules of both systems.

Time to change the question back to you. Where did humans come to be as they are now in this world? Don't just stop at human civilization, I want to hear your opinion about creation too. If said higher beings do exist in said higher dimensions, then science merely affirms said existences as we further progress in the science of everything.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  15. --MON--

Reading List:
    Link
    no i'm not telling you to convert. it's just that not everyone believe the story told in any religion. science and magic are irrelevant. science has it's own advantage and disadvantage so does religion. i'm just telling that majority dictates what's right and wrong and what's real and what's not.

edited:
    i respect other's belief but i don't nescessarily believe in their belief. i sometime have the tendency to push my ideals to others but i don't know why i do that, maybe because i grew up with others pushing their beliefs on me.

16. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    This is human arrogance which I too possess and will never deny. We believe what see think we believe but history has proven otherwise with new discoveries appearing as civilizations rise and fall. Let them believe their own version of evil. I will continue to believe my own version of it. At the end of all discoveries, we shall see which side was right or wrong. We are still very young species compared to Earth and more so the universe.

17. --MON--

Reading List:
    Link
    i respect other's belief but i don't nescessarily believe in their belief. i sometime have the tendency to push my ideals to others but i don't know why i do that, maybe because i grew up with others pushing their beliefs on me.

18. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    I respect your standpoint. Just make sure not to trigger off on people. It would result in a messy exchange of words then fists. It happens most of the time for any believer of their faith.

--MON-- likes this.
  19. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Sin is just a religious concept. :blobconfused: Why are sins even considered bad in the first place if you're not harming anyone or breaking the law? :hmm: Maybe we should ask what would happen if religions are gone. :blobpeek: At the very least, I think child abuse would surely decrease. :blobwoah:

20. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    A morbidly specific topic you just added in the context of religion.