Some small questions

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Sakura.nobody, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Sakura.nobody

Sakura.nobody Stupid, but cute angel ♡

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m planning on writing a quick transmigration novel, but wanted to know if there were any awesome places to post. It would be nice if these places were beginner friendly and had a lot of traffic. I’m planning to write maybe the first arc and then add it somewhere.

and my second question. So you know how you would read a Chinese novel, and almost always its written in past tense? It’s bugging me quite a bit because I’m questioning what should the main tense be in my own novel. I tend to use inspiration from novels I read for my own developing novel. Because if you think about it, the novel you read is the one you read because it’s good. But why is it good, and you use that for your own. So now my novel is only at chapter 2 and I still have time to change tenses. So the question is, why it is past tense?

SUMMARY: please help me find a platform for small hatchling novel, and why is it past tense.

Thank you in advance. *small bow*

Vaeleri likes this.
  2. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Scribble Hub? RoyalRoadl?

3. jinxs2011

jinxs2011 [Rebel Against Normality][Writer of the Unusual]

Reading List:
    Link
    i dunno why novels are mostly past tense, but they are. It shouldn't matter too much though, as long as you pick one and stick with it. Probably not future tense, though. That might be a bit odd.

My own novels are in present tense, apart from like, flashbacks and that sort of thing. I didn't realise until I started writing just how common past tense is. Even though I decided to do present tense, at the start I was constantly slipping into past tense by accident. For that reason alone, I'd say it's probably better to use past tense unless you have a particular reason not to.

Sites listed in the above post are also my recommended.

Creativity53 likes this.
  4. 8MTB

8MTB Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ditto Royal Road. A couple of friends post there.
    Is fanfiction.net still around?

As for tense... get an editor to help you out or shop it about among friends to get their opinion.

I don't see the point in writing past tense, unless it's a flashback. I can't even think of any fiction written in past tense, even the translated ones.

5. Sakura.nobody

Sakura.nobody Stupid, but cute angel ♡

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you! Maybe it’s because past tense creates a more story like feeling?? Idk. But Scribblehub seems very user friendly as it is connect with NU and NUF, so it would feel more at home (maybe, idk). And I feel royalroad is a bit more sci-fi than what my novel would be based. But thank you for your recommendations and help!

6. shimatsukki

shimatsukki Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I, as a reader, like reading things in past tense, which is why I also write in past tense when I'm not doing a collaboration.
    As for where to post your novel, I can't tell you where you should post your novel, but I would not recommend fanfiction.net, AO3, Quotev, Wattpad. Those places are typically associated with weird fanfiction.

7. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese novels are written in present tense not past tense. Or more accurately, tense is something that a writer can add in Chinese if they want to. This rarely happens in fiction so they're effectively in no tense. The reason you read them in past tense is because the translator rendered it that way. In English, everything has to be given a tense so going with no tense isn't an option.

As for what you should write in, that's going to depend on the language. In English, the standard for fiction is to describe the action and the events of the story in past tense. Generally, only the dialogue will be in other tenses, and even then it's rare to see anything written in present tense. One of the problems is that present tense is going to feel odd to read and harder to parse. If you're a good enough writer you can still get away with it, but it's going to ruin a lot of amateur authors. It's probably not advisable unless you really know what you're doing.

Sakura.nobody likes this.