Translating Asian web novels to English is decently popular, is the reverse true?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by 290th Killer, Mar 29, 2020.

1. 290th Killer

290th Killer Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just realized that I had no clue if there was, say, a Novelupdates for people translating novels from English to other languages. Is that even a thing that happens? I understand the English web fiction scene isn't as big as the Asian web fiction scene, but there's gotta be something for the really popular stuff, right? Does anyone know if there is? I think it'd be interesting to go and look at what it's like, even if I'd have to use google translate to see what people are saying.

imK likes this.
  2. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I know a lot of popular English novels are sold in Japan as translations... Never seen anything about web fictions being translated though.

juniorjawz, imK and TokioftheBel like this.
  3. Scholar Occult Cauldron

Scholar Occult Cauldron Bonk Maestro | Ascended

Reading List:
    Link
    Harry Potter is a series that took off worldwide, so there are probably people translating and posting chapters in a different language. Don't know if people are also putting up Patreon and trying to actually make money off it though:blobjoy:

4. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Harry Potter was officially translated into many languages, so I doubt anyone can make money from translating it online.

5. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you'd have more chances of getting an answer in a foreign forum of another language instead of an English forum...

I know the translation scene is kinda strong in Russia though, and they translate Webnovels there too... In the exact same way we translate them btw, without consent and by putting chapters behind a patreonwall and stuff~

6. anyudr

anyudr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As far as I know, in china, there's no big website major in posting webnovels originally written in English.

There is just too much indigenous novels for chinese readers,so the oppotunity for readers to turn to EN webnovel is rather low.
    (BTW, of course we love harry potter , who don't? )

If we don't confine the area to webnovel, there are some tranditional english novel in CN students reading suggestion, like: Three Days to See, oliver twist,The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Robinson Crusoe ……

Meanwhile, japanese light novels have extensive audience, and the resouce of novels can be easily found, as well as JP manga and cartoon.