Discussion Lowering my standards

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Miserys_End, Apr 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    Lately I've been able to read .... alot. As I've run out of things to read I've reread a few novels got bored and started looking for more stuff to read. Now my standards are not that high to begine with but I've read most of the novels I thought were ok or better. Now things are getting to the point I've lowered those already low standards and the result hurt my brain... bad translations, subpar plots... hell I've even considered another CN novel in hopes it doesnt devolve into endless rounds of rape, arrogant young masters getting their asses kicked and the ever increasing power creep. Oh hey, maybe I'll go look on the gutenberg project for some free old classics!

So I'm just wondering, with a lot of us stuck at home, have you lowered your reading standards when looking for your latest fix....?

2. SilverCrow63

SilverCrow63 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You know, this was not what I was expecting when I saw lowering my standards.

I've been reading stuff I was biased against like Trash of the Count's Family but they turned out better than I thought. Win-win.

Femme Fatale, Martialegg and Tanyia like this.
  3. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Halmista

Halmista Doctor of Books

Reading List:
    Link
    Lowering a bit but not crossing my bottom-line. I can't go back to reading sub-par and generic isekais with copy-paste generic black haired OP protagonist. It makes me feel nauseous.

Femme Fatale, Martialegg and Tanyia like this.
  5. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    We will eventually reach that level and will go for a wider spectrum of genre.
    Here's my summary of my adventure: Anime -> Manga -> LN -> WN -> K-Novel -> C-Novel -> Royal road -> Chinese Classics -> Western novels.
    Now, I'll read anything that other people rated high and I will try to read it regardless of my preference to the end of 1st arc.
    If I like it, I'll read the rest. Stop it if I don't like it. That simple.
    I'm really looking for 'Hidden gem' that other people often ignored. Unpopular, but rated high usually.

AJiggaboo and Tanyia like this.
  6. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Talking about lowering standard..

I asked A friend of mine what his ideal type of a wife would be.
    He said in high school, she has to be pretty, smart and have great body. In college, he's just looking for a kind and smart girl with great body. When I met him in his 30s, he said all he needed was the girl to have a vagina...

7. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    no, I just started looking to mtl raws that aren't on this site instead lower my standards. or I read/ re-read "real" novels. I've been reading a lot of supernatural thrillers and magical realism lately, with the occasional break for something totally mindless and fun, like the Kurtherian Gambit series (pulp fiction at its best).

Martialegg likes this.
  8. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that's a good time to start binge watching the digimon franchise in preparation for the upcoming new Digimon Anime~

9. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    The desperation is well described.
    Honestly, just tell him to make more money. From his preference, the more he makes money, the higher quality of the girl he can get.
    So, rather than the girl. Focus on the money. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

10. Miserys_End

Reading List:
    Link
    That... was not what I was expecting... LMAO!!!
    While I sympathize with your friend, but I'm guessing he wasnt all that great of a guy judging by both his standards and the fact he was still looking at 30...

Btw, thanks for the laugh. It helped my brain ache after reading something that was horrifyingly translated. I made it two chapters before quitting....

Thank the Goddess @Ai chan I never had your friends problem though...

justmehere and Ai chan like this.
  11. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you no shame?!:facepalm:

12. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    meh this cat standard is as long as readable~ that how this cat can read mtl

13. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Just doing a small bit of advertising~ :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

userunfriendly likes this.
  14. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Based on this pattern, when he's in his 40s, he doesn't mind if the girl isn't real as long as she somewhat looks female.

In his 50s, he doesn't mind a dude.

In his 60s, he'd be fine with just a dog.

Tanyia likes this.
  15. Miserys_End

Reading List:
    Link
    LoL he will have already reached sage status by 40 and given up to be a basement wizard...

justmehere and Ai chan like this.
  16. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    So in his 40s he'd be fine with a broom? :blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful:

justmehere likes this.
  17. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't lowered my standards yet....but I've gone back to reading mangas which is neat cause most of the ones I'm reading are favourites or were ones that weren't complete and now are. I'm also getting some neat recommendations from others...

Maybe try reading some other genres? Hmm...Maybe, dare I say it, something like The Dresden Files or Iron Druid series? The talking book versions of those are really good too.

Or...how about writing you own isekai? ^.^

18. Miserys_End

Reading List:
    Link
    Having someone read to me honestly puts me to sleep... I claim my father. It did get me interested in fantasy books, but has ruined audiobooks for me. *shakes fist in dad's general direction*

As for writing, oddly despite how much I type here and other forums, any creative writing I do give me massive headaches. So yeah I'd much prefer not to end up with a migraine-esk headache.

Currently reading a couple manga atm... but seems mangadex is having issues atm.. Keep getting a bad gateway error or the site is suffering from heavy traffic *shug* guess the scriptkiddies have gotten sufficiently bored and found a target for their angst...

Femme Fatale likes this.
  19. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    Try another site... *COUGHS* >.<

What about reading The Dresden Files or Iron Druid instead? There are ways and means...*coughs* *coughs*

There are some really good mainstream novels out there.

If you are like me, and like the original Star Wars Trilogy, I'd recommend reading the Thrawn Series by Timothy Zahn.

20. Miserys_End

Reading List:
    Link
    Was never really big of urban fantasy tried a few times and just didnt feel right. Which is odd because i like post apocalyptic novels and most of the isekai stuff I read is about the same, just in reverse...

As for older sci-fi, I enjoyed Armor by John Steakly, and the original version of StarshipTroopers (for goddess sake not the movie...) both featured combatants in powered armor fighting insectoid aliens. Read both these on a yearly basis for years. Think Armor had a more compelling story behind it and unexpected plot twists, while ST was more shit blowing up while people die around the MC.

Femme Fatale likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.