Feature Request Home Page Filter

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by SunsetChaos, Mar 20, 2020.

1. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.novelupdates.com/release-filtering/

2. Parking

Parking Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you!

3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Your options are as follows:

1) Block out the common tags like xianxia and etc

2) Block out the common groups like webnovel

3) Enable the Enable Origin Tagging (Colored) in your profile so that it shows the languages on the front page, then add this to your adblocker:

Code:
    www.novelupdates.com/##tr:has(.orgcn)
    It will remove all the CN novels from your front page.

For maximum efficiency, you should do all 3.

4. sleepingloli

sleepingloli Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Interesting. So you don't have to actually be like me and add 2629 novels to the blocking list. And this was *after* blocking the major CN spam tags.

I don't want to open that list too often because it takes literally 27.3 seconds to load that page. Like, if someone wanted to DoS NU, that's a great attack vector. It's probably blocking a whole process (and possibly a database connection) during that time.

(Is that database even properly indexed?)

Btw, I still have to add every new CN novel manually so it's not like I'm ignoring them. I always open them manually, and after confirming that the new novel doesn't pick my interest, I add it to the blacklist. No exceptions found so far.

Most JP ones still go to the blacklist (they're heavily filtered too), but I still end up finding some that catch my interest at least once a month.

And I have no reason to believe this trend is going to change anytime soon.

xXSB101Xx likes this.
  5. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure how NU is written, but any modern application would write a database connection as non-blocking. So it wouldn't block a whole process while fetching the database.

That said, it is weird that it would take you 27 seconds to load the front page even if you have over 2000 novels filtered. I mean ids should be indexed by default. Well, there are some databases with broken IN implementations and you have to use VALUES instead.

Overall, I wouldn't worry about DDOS because filtering is done when someone is logged in, which makes it more annoying as you would have to create accounts to do that. There is also cloudflare.

But yes, with my method you don't need to manually block each novel, though I would still suggest blocking some tags and common groups so you don't get a blank front page lol.

6. DeirdreH

DeirdreH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This feature is asked for so regularly, and rejected so inexplicably each time, that the mostly likely answer is that it will never be implemented because the site owner is being paid to not implement it.

Erexz and xXSB101Xx like this.
  7. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing that takes 27s to load is the reading list with 2000+ titles, not the homepage~

8. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    Whose reading list? Yours for example takes 7.39 seconds. Though maybe it is more during peak load times? Or maybe the front end rendering can sometimes be slow.

9. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    My "Hidden" list with 1571 titles took 44 seconds to load from the moment I clicked it, or 29 seconds to load from the moment the page seemed to start loading its features... Perhaps it's because your internet connection is better than mine.

Regardless, SleepingLoli's list has about 1000 titles more than mine, so it most likely would take longer regardless.

Edit: When I accessed it through the Public Reading List, it took about 7-10s though, so I guess the Public Reading List page is a lot lighter than the actual Reading List page.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  10. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I was talking about the hidden list. Is that 44 seconds how much you saw visually or the number it shows in network under web developer? Cause the net developer number is what tells you actual load times. The file in itself is 65kb so it shouldn't be the speed of the internet (my internet is mobile hotspot internet). So its either the front end takes a while for you to render, or you are dropping a ton of packets between you and the server.

11. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    See my edit above, the Public Reading List page loads a lot faster.

I dunno a thing about the web developer stuff, I just counted the amount of seconds on my head and stopped once the page stopped loading.

12. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The bug is fixed. It should load a lot faster.

AliceShiki likes this.
  13. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, that was a bug!? :eek::eek::eek:

I thought it loaded slowly because it had too many titles, I just treated it as a normal thingy...

*tries it out* Well, it took 31s (or 21s after the page itself started loading) instead of 44s (and 29s), so it definitely improved a lot! \(^^)/

14. sleepingloli

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, can confirm. 831ms now, tyvm. Still takes a few seconds to render, but that's just a browser problem.

Tbf I didn't report it earlier because I thought the response would be something like banning me for misuse of the site, or limiting the lists' maximum size.

I apologize for my snarky tone.

15. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    What misuse? Making a list to exclude stuff is pretty normal! xD

16. sleepingloli

Reading List:
    Link
    Somewhere between

"I've already said that I don't want people to filter out CN novels from their feeds so I think it's very clear that I don't want you to do that. Yet you did it knowingly."

and

"We don't accept the kind of people who like to abuse (?) our site.", where "abuse" would be loosely defined like "it loads fine to me so what you're doing is obviously abnormal and therefore unacceptable".

So yeah, I was prepared to lose my account at that moment.

17. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tony-chan is fine with you using Series Finder to find stuff that fits your very specific criteria.

Tony-chan is also fine with you tagging any novel you dislike as something you don't wanna see in the Home Page.

Tony-chan is also fine with you tagging any genre/tag/group you dislike as something you don't wanna see in the Home Page.

The only thing Tony-chan is against, is having you automatically filter all novels from a given country for no real reason, because country of origin isn't really a solid criteria to judge a novel from. She wants you to at least read the title and stuff before deciding rather or not you don't want anything to do with it~

18. sleepingloli

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, you're completely right.

ScribbleHub has many novels with the Japanese-like feeling that I'm looking for, but most authors are not from Japan. So your point is 100% correct.

But in NU, what I'm looking for only exists under the JP category (if my experience so far has taught me anything). I'm not looking for "novels". I'm looking for "novels that feel like anime but in written form".

Litmus test: If I can't mentally add "-chan" to some loli character without it feeling out of place, then I'll drop it.

I'm not saying I don't read other kind of novels, because I *do* sometimes read novels outside NU without caring about where they're from. I'm only saying that, when I come to NU, it's strictly only because I want to consume a certain kind of content.

AliceShiki likes this.
  19. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Aye, that's fair~

I mean, I only read Female Protag novels myself these days. Not because I dislike Male Protag novels or because I think they're bad, but simply because I prefer reading about Female Protags~

In your case, it's not very different with the JP novels over CN ones... But well, Tony-chan made the conscious decision to not allow this kind of filtering to happen because she prefers it when people are open to new things, so... You'll keep needing to filter the CN ones manually~

But you definitely don't have to worry about ever being banned because you're using NU in a way different than what would be the "ideal NU way"! Users use the site however they please! For as long as you don't try to do anything harmful to it or break the rules, you'll be good~

sleepingloli likes this.
  20. xXSB101Xx

xXSB101Xx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Extraordinarily based. Thanks for letting me know of this.

Also imagine not letting people have a easier way to clear out the CN garbage. Absolute cringe.
    The vast majority of CN novels either have shitty psychotic MCs and cringy faceslapping or if it's for the female crowd, cringy self inserts lusting after CEOs along with their own psychotic MCs who justify their actions due to muh evil insert significant other here with shoehorned characters to justify the MCs bad actions.
    In the years I have been reading translations, the amount of bearable, decent CN novels can be counted with my two hands, maybe if I'm being generous, with a couple of extra fingers. That's including and overestimating stories which probably only got a few chapters translated that I can't remember for the life of me. Legitimately the only decent CN stories with likeable MCs I have ever read that I can name off the top of my head would be Release That Witch, Pet King, and maybe The Defeated Dragon. If I lower my standards a tad bit, I can also say the MC of a more recent story, I Am the God of Games, has somewhat of a decent MC, but that story itself has issues which nullify any enjoyment to be taken out of it.
    Overall, the CN market is composed almost entirely of amoral MCs with bad story writing on top of it that is a plague on the soul to even bother shifting through.

SunsetChaos likes this.