Spoiler Overgeared

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Midnight Rain, Dec 8, 2017.

1. JHI

JHI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://leviatanscans.com/comics/974390-overgeared

Are we finally getting a new and decent manhwa adaptation (unlike the previous one)? The art looks great, reminiscent of solo leveling and the like. Failure sword is especially drawn phenomenally. I still have my reservations as the strength of this light novel will probably be a major weakness. Grid's character development takes hundreds of chapters and the time he starts being recognized as a badass is around chapter 90. It is very hard to continue a manhwa with a series whose strength is based on its characters and their development. Still let's hold our breath and hope for the best.

Edit: Just saw it being mentioned on the latest chapter discussion post as well.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    LordKarsus likes this.
  2. aqua55

aqua55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It looks sooooo much better
    Although the weapon and armor design choices are a bit odd

LordKarsus likes this.
  3. Shatteredsun

Shatteredsun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have to give it 15 to 20 chapters to see designs and the artist to become more consistent

Gradia and LordKarsus like this.
  4. LordKarsus

LordKarsus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

There's some discussion around Piaro's punishment and even the possibility of increasing taxes to handle the damage that's been done. Rabbit isn't blaming Grid, but Grid certainly blames himself...

Grid offered to pay but Piaro wouldn't accept it. But through his act of caring, his Bond with Piaro was strengthened (5% increase in abilities when in the same party, ability to communicate mentally when within 10km / 6 miles of each other)

Seeing the relationship between Piaro and Grid, and that Grid was as powerful as someone they held in such high esteem, both Dante and Singauld developed more liking for Grid (Affinity +20)

In the end Mercedes offers up 2 years of her salary to cover the expenses so that Piaro doesn't have to pay - now that he's on his honeymoon - and the taxes also don't have to be raised.

Grid comments about how Mercedes should save up for her old age instead, lest she be left alone and on the side of the street in her old age.

"I accept your request for a duel"

Grid suddenly felt a transcendent sense of danger that he hadn't with Piaro. Did that mean that Mercedes was stronger than Piaro?
    (sounds to me like he was stupid saying that she needs to save for retirement...)

They fought. Grid's Legendary powers were immense whereas Mercedes used her Vaintz Swordsmanship that was definitely not a Legendary swordsmanship style. Still, with the power of Keen Insight, Mercedes was making a solid showing.

Until...

[The Duke of Virtue makes a request of his knight: Mercedes]

Mercedes was confused for half a second. But then...

[Your Knight has accepted your request. The power of Keen Insight is planted into your eyes]
    ...smh.

Grid had taken advantage of Mercedes' straightforward, loyal, and obedient nature. And using it his body quickly identified and exploited weaknesses in Mercedes fighting style. After twenty seconds of relentless attack, she was forced to the edge and accepted her defeat....
    What a douche.

Grid was admiring his resourcefulness, when Piaro's voice entered Grid's ears.

"You may as well have ordered her to surrender"

"...!"

He had gone too far in his scheming to win and forgotten the point of the duel.

"I'm sorry Mercedes. Let's fight again."

"Yes your majesty"

"I'm sorry"

She didn't understood that he was just teasing.

"Piaro, Dante, I have something to say. Let's go to the barracks"

... Oops. It had been destroyed.

"Let's go to the castle."

Lmaster, Ruler4u, Windowsea and 5 others like this.
  5. Feanor

Feanor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The author pulls the cat by the tail. All hope for last 2 gods.

6. Shatteredsun

Reading List:
    Link
    Should we praise mercedes for her loyalty or facepalm for her getting trolled

LordKarsus likes this.
  7. JHI

JHI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The latter but we do it because of Grid's reasoning. As long as Mercedes gave Grid benefit of the doubt, her decision was right. Grid could have wanted to show her the flaws in her swordsmanship in order to help her and what power is more suited for this than keen insight? Mercedes needs to develop offensive techniques that are suitable for a legend and the fight should have been a wake up call. I don't know why she hasn't developed at all since becoming more motivated after realizing she fell short of transcendents like Biban and recognizing her inferiority to Piaro/Braham. Well she is a female character in addition to being a love interest so I'm sure if we wait another 200-300 chapters she'll regain her status as a badass. In any case, both of these fights were very underwhelming as they did little justice to Grid and Mercedes.

Grid is a king ffs and he should act like one. He is definitely filthy rich with his most major expense being the alchemy facility. One pounding mortar shouldn't be an issue for him.

LordKarsus likes this.
  8. Kzhckz.

Kzhckz. [Sad] [Angry] [Happy]

Reading List:
    Link
    Did Pounding Mortar count as "Projectile" ?

If it did, Grid should've been able to block it with Berith alchemy...

9. aqua55

aqua55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And then he would've been crushed along with the metal shield he summoned

10. JHI

JHI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Each shield produced by Berith's power blocks 10k damage while Piaro's pounding mortar one shotted Grid's entire health which is 160k+. Unless 9th heart's upgrade caused its effect to be at least an order of magnitude it wouldn't have mattered. Grid would have used 200k swordsmanship if he really wanted to survive rather than testing out his new move. I also don't see why he couldn't have used revolve. Presumably, one of the god hands could have used revolve too. Honestly I always thought this to be one of the weaknesses of pounding mortar and similar techniques.

11. aqua55

aqua55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol that's true, grid could always just use flower revolve and return meteors as well lol

12. LordKarsus

Reading List:
    Link
    Grid does consider using 200K sword, but he assumes that the recoil from using that on the pounding mortar would be 50% of his health, and he'd likely end up with additional injuries that would make it difficult for him to continue to fight.

As for Revolve... I'm sure Pounding Mortar is outside Revolve's weight class.

Ruler4u likes this.
  13. Shatteredsun

Reading List:
    Link
    pounding mortar up to 3 hits within seconds of each other revolve or flower revolve won’t do shit anyway

14. zerol1

zerol1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just read the manual and why all people make the holy set as an dragon armor?

Pd: yeah I think Mercedes saw it like grid whant me to fight against my own power to make me growth

15. aqua55

aqua55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I always thought the holy set was like metallic robes. Over the top priest type

16. LordKarsus

Reading List:
    Link

It's meeting time!

Sticks arrives and Grid talks about Dante's improvement... He explains why Dante's life has suddenly improved, and that that comes with a cost:

The Gods of the East Continent have become hostile towards Dante.

But, it's not a big deal because their power doesn't reach the West Continent. So everyone's happy at the benefits that Dante has gained, and Dante himself is happy that he will have a chance to live and honor his family who were wrongfully murdered by the Empire.

Piaro is looking at Grid funny as he hears about Grid's achievements and realizes that Grid is building a path of myths that will eventually elevate him to the level of a God.

Then Grid asks Dante how he improved NPC soldiers who had reached their limits. And Dante explains that these are ordinary people with ordinary souls... But my training the heart and mind to a more mature level, a greater ability can be unleashed and one may break their boundaries (something that even Piaro and Asmophel hadn't been able to teach).

Next subject:

Grid brings up Piaro's Free Swordsmanship. Piaro's new Free Farming technique is derived from the Free Swordsmanship that his family practiced and which they believe derives from the East Continent. They had training manuals that were hard to decipher but Piaro was able to figure them out and so he achieved a pretty decent level.

But obviously, the Free Swordsmanship he achieved was not at its full potential.

Grid asks if Piaro's family has a relationship with Sword Saint Biban. Piaro doesn't think so, but it's the kind of thing that could have been forgotten over the centuries since Biban died. But building on Dante's idea for how to train people to achieve new levels, Grid brings up the idea of Matchless Heart taught to him by Biban (while skirting around additional details), and tells Piaro that he's learned it.

... He wants Piaro to learn it, as a vector for perfecting Free Swordsmanship and thus perhaps also Free Farming. He asks Mercedes and Sticks to work with Piaro to help him learn it. He assumes that Biban would appreciate his lessons being remembered in these new generations.

With Piaro's power enhanced greatly, it could become possible for Grid to have another worthy ally when he returns to the East Continent (You mean he's developed the guts to consider risking Piaro and maybe Braham in a direct confrontation with the top Yangban?)

Then he tells them to maybe hold off on this idea for a second. He may just go and ask Biban if he's okay with it.

Before that, he'll go hang out with Irene and Lord for a couple of seconds as usual.

And then, it's time...

To go the Tower of Wisdom!

I think it was supposed to just be "Mercedes was loyal, and she obeyed without almost a second thought." - she didn't care why Grid wanted it. She chose to place her trust in his judgment (and was thus wrongly abused).

I'm a little surprised that fighting Grid didn't give Piaro or Mercedes any inspiration or new reason for growth though.

Like, if Mercedes had gained benefits from having Keen Insight used against her. That would've been a bit of good "power of misunderstanding" at work.

It's also interesting that Keen Insight once again chose to bring out Grid's sword's ability to make Grid immune to damage with that 1% chance of dying due to no defense.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    zerol1, Windowsea, Lmaster and 3 others like this.
  17. Shatteredsun

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty boring week for chapters really

18. LordKarsus

Reading List:
    Link
    Considering that the chapters are also coming out late, I suspect that the author might be getting exhausted again. He should take a week off, or at least take a few days off (or... say he's taking the week off, not take a week off, get ahead by several chapters, and then feel less under stress)

Anyway, we're going to get to see Tower of Wisdom, and then he's going back to the East Continent. So, good stuff overall... Unless he decides that now is a good time for a detour to Talima.

I assume he's going to have to go back soon though. The Black Tortoise definitely isn't under Chiyou's protection.

zerol1 and Ruler4u like this.
  19. Shatteredsun

Reading List:
    Link
    Should just take a break the virus is stressful enough without killing yourselves doing chapters

LordKarsus likes this.
  20. Godgrid

Godgrid Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Grid meets the first seat, who is a dragon slayer, humanity's first Legend

dereonlad likes this.