Recommendations Romance with male protagonist

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Scandalf, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Scandalf

Scandalf ~Blood Raven~

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm looking for something that takes its romance seriously. Romance can or cannot be the main point of the fic but it has to be a big part of it regardless. And it has to be better than just some "dumb fluff". I love my fluff depending on my mood but I'm looking for something serious rn.

I'm, after searching for them extensively, pretty sure there aren't many(if any) left on NU that I haven't read yet so don't bother yourself recommending something on NU unless you believe there's a big chance I haven't read it yet. (There might be some novels that started being translated in the last 2,5 years or so that I might not know of because I haven't been logging in to NU regularly)

I'm perfectly fine with fanfictions or original web novels from other sites/forums. Please don't recommend something that introduces the romance aspect to the story after 500 chapters or something, though.

The other genres also don't really matter much. It can be mostly slice of life or pure action, I don't mind.

Oh, no BL or yuri.

FusaHatesHarems likes this.
  2. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. sanushilshad

sanushilshad Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are a lot of that kind in the manga section, if you want

otaku31 likes this.
  4. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No BL or yuri ey? Then how about GENDER BENDER!?
    (Also, you can't really go yuri with male protagonist.)

Anyway, although I'm sure you're not gonna try this out, but I'd still like to recommend my favorite romance novel on this site, Reborn as My Love Rival’s Wife.
    Just, try it...ONCE! Please!! You'll NOT regret it! Even if you're not into gender bender the comedy in this one alone is enough for anyone to like it! All my friends who I've roped into reading this (who didn't want to since it was gender bender and they found it kinda gay) said they liked it! It's one of the funniest novels you can find on this site. But it's not all comedy either, there are serious moments too and there is tons of fluff too.

It's about a man who gets into an accident and wakes up as a beautiful girl whose husband is the reason why he had been single his whole life. Her husband was a rich handsome dude from his university who had all the girls running after him leaving the rest of the male students single.
    It's a hilarious novel of messing with each other like best buds, living together, meeting their parents and fighting other girls who were trying to cozy up to her husband in ways that make you facepalm yourself.
    It is completely translated, 85 long chapters and 11 epilogue chapters, amazing translation quality. I believe it got completed around this time last year. By far the best gender bender novel I've ever read and my favorite love story.
    It's DEFINITELY worth the read whether you are into this sort of stuff or not. It's a masterpiece of a novel! It makes fun of overdone novel cliches but also draws from real life experiences the author had and incorporated it brilliantly into the story of what could happen if a normal straight man was reborn as a woman and the physical and mental changes that is brought along with it. It is subtle but really well thought out...or maybe I'm just looking too deeply into it like literature teachers? lol

5. Scandalf

Scandalf ~Blood Raven~

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah sure. I love manga as well. Just stopped reading them a few years back because I don't have that much time.

otaku31 likes this.
  6. vide

vide M E T A L H E A D

Reading List:
    Link
    Scandalf likes this.
  7. Scandalf

Scandalf ~Blood Raven~

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the rec. but I really hate genderbends. With passion. Especially genderbends that make the mc fall in love with someone of their original gender. Just makes no sense whatsoever to me. When people talk about stories like that they always say that; hormones and a different body affect who/what you like and all that but I find that bs tbh.
    Don't think I have anything against people who like it though! I just gave genderbender a few tries in the past and hated it personally.

hoppala likes this.
  8. Scandalf

Scandalf ~Blood Raven~

Reading List:
    Link
    otaku31 likes this.
  9. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    How about Wattpad? They got many stories there. Ok, some are written by 10 year olds, and some have such obvious grammar and language problems, (Invisible Dragon, or about there) but(!) there are plenty of really good novels.
    I’m not really into romance, much, but you could try the romance tag (you need to type it, it’s easier), or any other tag. Probably sort by chapter quantity, as well. For example there were plenty of werewolf romance stories on Wattpad, I remember. I was not into romance but werewolves at that time, but the romance in some of them was really good as well.

Scandalf likes this.
  10. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, in this novel it doesn't really force stuff on hormones or whatever. It took a little bit of a different approach that may or may not be justified in your eyes. But in the end, I never really pinned my hopes on you reading this or anything.
    Like, I've been trying for MONTHS to force my friends into reading this but so far I've only gotten 3 to actually do it. And I'm physically here annoying them everyday every moment shoving it in their face. So if it takes that much to get just three people to read it...yea, a zealous comment on a forum is not gonna do anything. lol

Anyway, the fact that they kinda liked it even though they're muslim homophobes doesn't change your mind about reading this...? (Well, I wouldn't say they're exactly homophobes. It's just that their religion concurs this as a "haram" or sin of some sort. And they're quite the devout people. I mean, I even know a girl on this site from my country who reads BL but feels really guilty about it and wants to stop doing it cause it is a haram in their religion...ok, I'm getting off topic. I'm just saying that it has more to offer than just gender bender stuff. As I've said, the relationship between the main characters is more like bestfriends throughout the whole story. MC just grows to care for the ML a lot that he doesn't mind being married to him and be recognized as his wife. He doesn't suddenly become a picture perfect woman inside through hormones and development. She more or less stays the same as when the novel started. He still feels awkward doing certain stuff and he never starts questioning his gender or identity. He remains the same person inside. None of that hormone bullshit...though I do enjoy the hormone bullshit sometimes, but this one is not it.)

So anyway, you're still probably not gonna read it. But I still enjoy talking about it a lot since it's my favorite novel.
    But if you're ever looking for a good comedy novel, this one is also up there with the best this site has to offer.

Scandalf likes this.
  11. hoppala

hoppala Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really need a 'dislike' buton for you and your comments. Just stop, pls. Not Evryone had to like bl yuri or gb or more wierd things. Go and enjoy it, but not force to People to do. He/she maybe too kind to say to you dirrectly ' goo away i dont wanna read' but i tell ya my friend, most People dont wanna So, So stop. Pls...

12. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Come on! It's just two fucking comments!! And I only reply if somebody else replies to me. I don't go around spamming you know?
    I mean, I know I'm annoying as fuck but it's the internet. What do you expect? There is ought to be things that don't sit well with you everywhere on the internet.

Anyway, I was more or less joking around with some of the stuff I said. This place is a tight knit community so you'll find all types of people being more up front than in most other places.

If OP wanted me to fuck off, I'd fuck right the way off. But he's quite nice and he doesn't seem to mind so I was messing around. Didn't mean to offend anybody.

13. hoppala

hoppala Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You are also right. Sory i was a Little agresive there i suppose. :blobexpressionless:

Walter vi Britannia likes this.