LCD Reverend Insanity/Daoist Gu

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Sky Farrow, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I love the story, but just because the story is great doesn't mean there can't be retcons and mistakes.

Anyone who read the raw/MTL would've seen several times where the author mentions going back and rewriting old chapters.

And if anything that's just a good thing, especially compared to the usual CN authors who just leave endless plot holes without even trying to fix them.

In this particular instance the retcon is that "The Three Olds" when introduced in chapter 598 were actually only "Great Grandmaster" level in refinement path in the raw. (大宗师)

But later there's plenty of other Great Grandmasters, basically any rank 8 worth their salt is one (Ancestor Xue Hu, Blazing Heaven Enchantress, etc.), and the three olds are changed into being Supreme Grandmasters (无上大宗师).

So either the translator already knew about the retcon and wrote Supreme Grandmaster, or it's also possible that the author had gone back rewritten this part (which he has done before, and there's notes in the raws about rewriting volumes etc.) but the aggregator sites haven't updated the chapter with the new raws.

And it's obviously quite difficult to check the original qidian source since not only would you have needed an account and pay to see the VIP chapters, but the novel has also been banned for quite some time as I'm sure everyone here knows so the original source doesn't even exist anymore afaik.
    I almost always prefer Dao. Especially since if it's going to be like in the RI translation where the TL use both Dao and Path anyway.

Imo it should only ever be different if Dao and Path aren't actually the same thing, which in a sense I guess technically they aren't 100% the same in this novel...

Well at least I can understand why someone would choose to use both, but I generally prefer consistency and trying to keep as many references are possible.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  2. fanwithlight

fanwithlight Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's the same word in raw, but the author uses one word to refer to two things: natural attribute and the path of cultivation (not completely separate, but still two different things)
    P/S: I read both and realized that The Venerable Monster Tamer is (more or less) the prototype of Reverend Insanity. So I can kinda guess how Reverend Insanity would end. The only thing I need now is the full Legend of Ren Zu (The author said everyone in the Gu world has a copy. What publisher publish it?)

Astaroth likes this.
  3. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, that's what I meant. They're the same word and they're related but they're separate concepts so even though I personally prefer Dao for both, I can understand why someone could chose Dao for one and Path for the other.

4. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    He’s just chilling like all the other vegetables until it’s time for him to resurrect

mrttao likes this.
  5. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Which is why instead of calling you a liar I asked you to clarify
    I completely agree. This is not a hardcover book that someone wrote completely, then deliberated with an editor or two, and took the time to reach the end. going back to the front to rewrite things as necessary.
    It is a thing where the author releases one or more chapters a day as they are written. With such a format, going back and editing old chapters is a great thing that improves the quality of the story. I personally never noticed those because the translation is so many years behind the author.

6. Sky Farrow

Sky Farrow 天外之魔

Reading List:
    Link
    Goddamn, you guys know there’s a thread for RI Spoiler and Raw discussions, right?

Nighthawlc likes this.
  7. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    last few posts were discussing the raw for chapter 598 as an example of a retcon happening in the raws.
    current translated chapter is 1607

8. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Found proof you are completely wrong about the prophecy.
    https://vipnovel.com/vipnovel/reverend-insanity/chapter-1619/
    duke long believed red lotus will be a future immortal venerable. Not a future demon venerable that will be attacking heavenly court.
    He explicitly refined his own soul using the souls of otherworldly demons to make his soul almost entirely the soul of an otherworldly demon. With sovereign fetus gu he expected to be very close to 100% otherworldly demon, but falling short by only a little bit

9. Randomnames

Randomnames New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The question now becomes why was he sure Red lotus wouldn't become a demon venerable.

10. fanwithlight

Reading List:
    Link
    And what are you trying to prove? Red Lotus is fated to be a Venerable. Star Venerable has predicted that. And for some unknown reasons(?), Duke Long and other HC members refuse to believe he will be a demonic one.
    Where did you read that?
    Duke Long still said Red Lotus can become an Immortal Venerable, even AFTER he attacked HC.

11. bakato

bakato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So the crux of this debate lie in two points:
    1. Star Constellation predicted Red Lotus as a demon venerable.
    2. Heavenly Court raised Red Lotus while aware of this prophecy.
    Both points are valid and are explicitly stated as facts in the story. So why would Heavenly Court choose to raise Red Lotus knowing he would become a demon venerable? There is a compromise here. You have to know that if Red Lotus was ordained by fate to become venerable then no matter what Heavenly Court did, he would've become one. Fate cannot be defied after all. So there was no point in trying to eliminate him. But why would they choose to nurture him? To be honest, I don't believe Constellation's prophecy was ever brought up in the flashbacks to Red Lotus' life, but notice that all Constellation predicted was that Red Lotus would be a demon venerable. She never said he would hurt fate or anything with regards to his actions. Immortal and demon, righteous and demonic. These are all superficial titles with no real relevance decided by popularity and reputation. So as far as Heavenly Court knew, even if Red Lotus was predicted to become a demon venerable, it didn't necessarily mean he would betray Heavenly Court. After all, he was born into Heavenly Court and they certainly wouldn't mistreat him.

12. fanwithlight

Reading List:
    Link
    Star Constellation not only predicted Red Lotus would become a demon venerable, but she also predicted he would attack HC. So why HC hope that he wouldn't betray them?
    I agree that there was no point in trying to eliminate him. But what HC should do is to not help Red Lotus at all.

13. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, she prophesied 3 demon venerables will attack. Not their exact identity
    Ya'll are attributing far more detail to the prophecy than actually exists.
    Prophecies being vague and lacking in detail and accuracy is a fundamental trope of prophecy, and nowhere in the story is there any indication that prophecies are super detailed and accurate in this verse
    Because he was being raised by heavenly court and duke long himself.

14. bakato

bakato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    She never said they'd attack, but she left arrangements to deal with them. It doesn't matter whether HC decided. Red Lotus would realize his potential either way.

mrttao likes this.
  15. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Another possibility... maybe trying to turn him into a righteous venerable one of her arranged plans for trying to deal with red lotus

Heavenly court explicitly does not control fate nor heavenly will. It has been explicitly noted that they are the ones who serve heaven will rather than having heaven will on their side.

chapter-1618 was entirely centered on how damn hard it is to try to fight fate. So if it is fated that red lotus becomes a venerable, creating strong ties with him is a way for them to ensure that heavenly court survives his attack. Or is potentially a way to try and avert fate, or a way to learn his methods and secrets to ensure they have countermeasures in place when he turns on them.

That all being said, it still depends on an exceptionally detailed and accurate prophecy. Where nothing indicates that prophecies are that ironclad in this story.

16. moevora

moevora [Ero Peach]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm at 156, think gonna drop it. It just doesnt suit my taste. Any romance development guys?

Sansin06 likes this.
  17. PeeINballs

PeeINballs Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would say atleast finish book 1 ie chapter 200 and then decide if you want to continue reading.
    AFAIK or read there seems to be no romance atleast till 600+ where I'm at.

Astaroth and moevora like this.
  18. Kitty Cat Cassanova

Kitty Cat Cassanova Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, Fang Yuan’s long mysterious lover has been fleshed out as of late. Anybody think that this is a plot by Paradise Earth?

mrttao likes this.
  19. fanwithlight

Reading List:
    Link
    That was made before FY is born. I think it must belong to Red Lotus.

20. keialpha

keialpha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have only read the translated chapters, and I have questions about the underlying Dao in the story.
    If the heavenly Dao is to remove excess and replenish deficits, why should star constellation be allowed to merge with heaven's will? Isn't that a kind of immortality without a body?
    Heaven's court is trying to the overlord of 5 regions, that is certainly against the great Dao and very greedy. Why is heaven's will not destroying HC for doing so? Or is FY a tool of the "true heaven's will", uncorrupted by star constellations' will, to get rid of HC and get rid of the merged will of star constellation?
    I would argue that other worldly demon are introduced by heaven's will as an attempt to drive out star constellations arrangement step by step.

LordBS likes this.