What type of mc do you wanna read about?

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by LuceLucky, Apr 10, 2020.

1. LuceLucky

LuceLucky Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm writing a webnovel that can be vaguely described as: solo-leveling + showbiz + hunger games + omniscient reader's viewpoint + the s-classes I raised + kenichi: history's strongest disciple. (I know it's a mouthful, but I haven't developed the world enough yet to give an accurate summary so I hope the general vibes/aesthetic are enough lol)

My protagonist is a male mc and I'm debating which 'archetype' he should be. What personality should he have? I want it to be something different from the usual litrpg mcs but also something that's interesting, rare and makes you root for him.

I know y'all like your edgelords, your perverts and your idiot mcs so pls no suggestions like 'cold and ruthless'. I'm looking for suggestions like 'zuko from avatar' or 'would die for his kid' or 'gets awkward when people tell him they appreciate him'. Maybe even quirks like 'doesn't look people in the eyes even though he's super strong and respected' or 'spicy food gets the best of him'. I'd probably laugh if you tell me to write 'kakashi hatake but he reads shoujo and his lateness excuses are 100% true' but I'll still write it down. Just go wild, I don't mind specific details/backstory.

What male mc do you wanna see in a setting where dungeons appear all over the modern world, there are ranks, game-like stats, and it's all treated like showbiz to please the gods and the rich?

imK likes this.
  2. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Lelouche ofcourse.

kingSlayer033 and Skaistise like this.
  3. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Indifferent, detached, selfish, but not a sociopath/pscho; he must have some moral bottom-line he's not willing to cross. No ailing little sister or mother. Loner, or one with few friends (an animal companion would be preferable to humans). Sensible, and puts own well-being (and maybe those of people he loves) first and foremost.

Must have flaws, but learns from his mistakes. Must have ambition, and be willing to put in sweat, blood and tears for fulfillment of said ambition. Not a pervert, and preferably, not shameless. Not much concerned with politics/intrigue, and must be powerful himself rather than the "raising/training OP disciples while himself weak" type.

Yeah, it's a super long list of reqs, but you did ask what I wanted. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  4. Invisalats

Invisalats The Bearded One

Reading List:
    Link
    He should have selective hearing... Oh and enjoy receiving hotplates.

On a serious note: make him a realist but slightly lazy and hates alcohol and doesn't give a sh*t about food except to eat for survival purposes. Also never steps foot into an auction house.

Meloman likes this.
  5. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Im kinda between pieces of shit like Subaru that end acknowledging their faults and moving on and 8man-type characters that offer their thoughts about different things.

Reak likes this.
  6. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    That combination seems risky to me :sweating_profusely:
    Anyway, how about your character be someone like 'Grisia' from 'The Legend of Sun Knight', you can try the novel or read some of the manga to get an understanding of his personality :hmm:

7. Almaa

Almaa The Fool

Reading List:
    Link
    Yu Ilhan. The God of Predictions/Foreshadowing and Pancosmic Loner. What else is there to say? I love Yu Ilhan.:blobangel::blobangel::blobangel:

Devil of Boredom likes this.
  8. LuceLucky

LuceLucky Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My 8 years old self is shaking. I don't really remember his character though. I recall crying a river of tears when he *redacted*.

The auction house thing is oddly specific lol is that a trope? Or just your preference?

Where would you put the moral bottom line?

9. Chiiiiiiiii

Chiiiiiiiii >Daoist Thirteen Bears< >Hero Astral Saber<

Reading List:
    Link
    A naive/stupid one at the start, that says that wants to be a hero or the like, gets bashed by reality, but stands again stronger with his core toughened not abandoning his beliefs, and still being optimistic.
    Can make lots of friends, can have some who will betray him and others who will stand with him until the end(maybe even the old rivals turning into friends).
    An mc that smiles a lot that some people even think it's stupid. Will some times cry seeing sad things and even be tricked because of that, but will not loose his kindness and will be part of his maturing.
    Just like the music
    I really miss those type of characters.

LuceLucky likes this.
  10. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Doesn't kill those who mean him no harm. Tries resolving minor disagreements without resorting to violence from the beginning; uses force only if it doesn't work. Ofc, those who mean grievous harm should be dealt with mercilessly. Should be ruthless but not bloodthirsty. And doesn't slaughter innocents for self-advancement (No Leylin or Fang Yuan, plz). :notlikeblob:

OTOH, I detest savior/hero types.

Reak and LuceLucky like this.
  11. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Fang Yuan from Reverend Insanity/Daoist Gu

12. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    how about a character who got into an accident and the reason he survived was because a demon tried to poses him and he end up merging with it instead of being taken over. he basically act like he normally would, but he is scared of carrots since the demon side associates them to stabbing holy relics of the ancient era in his world. and thus his battle to become the strongest begins and his goal to eliminate the evil carrots from his plate.

Devil of Boredom and LuceLucky like this.
  13. Warlock Of The Void

Warlock Of The Void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly can't see how that type of combination would work but , since u asked the combination of the MCs type or personality should be a product of his life like :
    1) Wants money because he was poor.
    2) Won't kill / will kill happily because of "reasons"
    3) Likes food / hates particular foods
    My only requirement in MCs is usually that IF they can get stronger themselves they DO and don't rely on something else because guess what weapons break, friends leave or r not present , buffs wear off, summons can be banished. Just make the guy hardworking and an actual fighter ( whether that be mage or something ) but he should know how to fight and be able to defend himself without any help. Also a thing u can do is choose a flaw of it own and give to it the MC because no character is real if they aren't flawed and that's what matters above all else that the character be Real.

LuceLucky and otaku31 like this.
  14. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For something like this I would like to see a protagonist who is a hardcore realist. A veteran who wins through preparedness, and ruthless efficiency. While others treat the dungeons as a game, or a method of obtaining fame and fortune he sees it as a job. He is not cold or emotionless, but down to earth. Someone who would much rather be tilling a field, or building a house than risking his life fighting monsters, and clearing dungeons. He has a strong sense of duty and altruism, and therefore cannot stand idle when he knows he has the power to make a difference.

Reak, Ddragonesse and LuceLucky like this.
  15. Ddragonesse

Ddragonesse 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    I
    I agree. I love characters with a sense of reality. Not the usual 'I own the world' typ of character. If you plan to include romance: please stay away from harem and abusive romance. I've had enough of good stories that evolve into a ppre catfight between all the girls who for some reason no one understands can't live without the mc or a romance were the only goal seems to torture each other because they just can't learn to trust. I also like a balance between male and female characters. I hate stories where for example every female character is either a b*tch or just there to show how perfect FL is. It would be greate if the MC had a really good fried/brother what ever who supports him as an equal no matter how weak or strong he is and for the MC to return in kind.

LuceLucky and Reak like this.
  16. Reak

Reak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A MC with a sense of humanity

imK and LuceLucky like this.
  17. SilverCrow63

SilverCrow63 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A MC with common sense. Meaning, understanding the situation before attacking the "bad guy." Not helping every girl that clings onto him and judging their words to see if it is a deception. Don't beat up someone only for them to end up a loyal subordinate. It can be funny if done right but if not it just doesn't make sense. Apologizing when it is his fault. Sure actions may be better than words but it doesn't substitute completely for the words "I'm sorry."

In general, characters that stand out have a strong moral code. They have principles and they stand by them. It doesn't have to be normal (see blue-orange morality) but their resolution in situations most others would yield is charming. It makes characters like Hisoka, Zoro, Sinbad, Stain, and L (to list a few) intriguing even if we may not agree with their morals.

LuceLucky likes this.
  18. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, klein from lord of the mysteries is my ideal mc.

19. LuceLucky

LuceLucky Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's on my reading list but I haven't started it yet. Can you list a few character traits?

20. Invisalats

Invisalats The Bearded One

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read so many Chinese web novels and their love for auctions is second only to extremely blatant foreshadowing that the mc is gonna be in a dire situation because they decided to;
    A: not increase their strength for whatever reason
    B: went to an auction and bought something weird that caught their attention for an unknown reason
    C: joined a sect/company/group even though someone of higher status who is part of them doesn't like the mc
    D: hides abilities to remain low key but then openly insults or gets into verbal conflict with others because MC's don't know what low key means.
    E: Chinese mc makes a decision... Lol

LuceLucky likes this.