One piece of confusing translation

Discussion in 'Manga Discussion' started by Concernedcitizen, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Concernedcitizen

Concernedcitizen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi guys. There are currently 2 version of One Piece I found. One is from viz, the other is from aggregator.

To those who have access to raws and read them already, which of these are accurate and well translated version? I personally like the Viz because its simple to read but I want to know which is accurate from raws.

20200419_065233.jpg
    20200419_064748.jpg

Which one do you prefer?

Thanks

2. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    The latter,
    How'd a question of "knowing what we're doing on the island" get answered by "from over there"?

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  3. amilhs

amilhs Moon Walker

Reading List:
    Link
    The second..
    I think the best translator is still mangastream.

4. Concernedcitizen

Reading List:
    Link
    No, the "from over there" is on luffy's ship looking for alcohols to fight covid

5. Concernedcitizen

Reading List:
    Link
    Mangastream no longer have One Piece, sadly.

Edit: i just checked, mangastream have them back. If i remember it right, they made announcement that they will drop One Piece because someone dmca them.

6. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    And someone feel the need to continue that mundane banter on another unrelated panel, taking over the spot of the actual conversation on the panel.. talk about bad panelling

7. Sircus

Sircus [Well-Known God]

Reading List:
    Link
    Why do I get the vibe that Viz is using MTL (Cause that´s good enough for cartoons) instead of paying for quality translation?

Concernedcitizen likes this.
  8. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    Aggregator is makes more sense

Concernedcitizen likes this.
  9. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't really know since IDK the raw and also don't really know any japanese, but both translations look suspect at some parts.

I'd say the 2nd translation seems better, except for in the first panel's speech bubble from rudolf the reindeer (yeah I forgot what that guy's name is). Because isn't "the sunny" their ship? How do you surf "in" the ship? While surfing with a ship/boat doesn't really make that much sense either, it still makes some sense, especially in the context of relating to being able to steer a ship well.

Anyway, what I think happened is that the official translation (Viz) took some liberties and localized the translation.

Meanwhile the second fan-translation is probably actually a bit worse in terms of quality tbh (though could be either or), but they're translating more literally, word for word.

And honestly, if one of them were to be MTL, then obviously the one that's more literal has a higher chance since a MTL won't just make up things on its own.

10. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably the most accurate(word for word) is the aggregator. I haven't read either in years, but I do know that VIZ takes a lot of liberties with translations to "adapt" them better to a western audience. This can be seen a couple of times in the example you gave in fact.

I, personally, would rather read an imperfect translation than read a bastardized official version.

Astaroth and Concernedcitizen like this.
  11. Mighty Action X

Mighty Action X Mighty and Invincible

Reading List:
    Link
    Go to the official translators since they actually coordinate with the original publisher.