Discussion Share your traumatic novel experience!

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Martialegg, Apr 18, 2020.

?

Have you experienced a traumatic reading experience?

1. Yes.

32 vote(s)
    86.5%
  2. Nope.

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    A couple. They were BxG ancient transmigration romances with the usual tropes and cliches but holy heck the male leads were scum bags. Not just the usual cold aloof ice cube business, but really and truly petty toddlers who repeatedly risked their “beloved’s” life to further their goals or “test her.”

And for some reason the canon ending has them getting together. Like, what? Did the main character suffer brain damage from traveling to the past? Made me too angry to bother finishing the book after reading spoilers.

I can handle jerks if they improve or at least have self-awareness of their flaws; male leads like these are the worst of the worst, especially if they get away being the big winner at life.

Same goes for female leads that end up as absolute hypocrites. (=.=)

Lachaize and Martialegg like this.
  2. tyes77

tyes77 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One novel I read was going so good. Mc kept improving himself with magic and he was used to the reincarnation scenario being in another world. Even loved the intrigue with different houses vying for him due to its being a female dominant society but then it has such a bad ending. It was just a giant battle and he essentially blows everything up but then the POV ends with some random who goes on about how it was a test. Ugh

Martialegg and Fulminata like this.
  3. brigs11

brigs11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I sorted novels by rating and decided to give the yaoi and shoujo novels a whirl since I thought their really high ratings must mean I'm missing out on a great, well-written, and immersive story line.

Martialegg likes this.
  4. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    in a certain novel when everything goes swimmingly, then suddenly, BAM, deus ex machina happens

[​IMG]

Martialegg likes this.
  5. Jden

Jden Well-known Dorse

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a lot of traumatizing novels. One common traumatizing scenario I often used to find in some novels are when the ml is a yandere psycho and starts to go ballistic and tortures the fl. *shivers. I don't remember the name(s) I only remember being so caught off guard and incredibly disgusted. Like wtf man.

Martialegg likes this.
  6. Irlin-senpai

Irlin-senpai I ain't got a Clue(-chan)

Reading List:
    Link
    My experience is with NTR. How was I traumatised? Well you see, back when I first started reading novels here, the way I use to immerse myself in the story is by putting myself in the shoes of the MC… So I read a really fluffy novel with a FL I really liked, and then… NTR happened.

I couldn't sleep well for 4 nights. I could get over it only after I repeatedly told myself that the MC was a dick anyway and tried to ignore him altogether. Then I reread the story, this time from the pov of the villain trying to take the girl from the start. Reading it that way, I thought it felt a normal blackmail story (which I've read a lot before).

After this experience, I avoid trying to immerse myself so strongly in romance novels. Hell, I don't even read romance anymore these days.

Martialegg likes this.
  7. Shem

Shem ┃ᐕ) ⁾⁾「Lv 69 BL Hunter」☆ Vrelty's Seme ♤♡ ꪋς꧖ ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably that HET Chinese novel I read way back 2017, since I'm a spoiler-loving person, I took the chance to read some spoilers and mtl, then I found the motherfucking MC cheated against ML with her first love. Wew. I dropped it.

Also a bl fanfiction I read a year ago. Its a cheating novel. ML cheated on MC and fucked this MC's friend of a hoe, just because ML's grandmother is homophobic :blobcurse::blobcurse::blobcurse: MC saw the two, and then he broke up with ML and chose to disappear. So their friends didn't know why, ML and hoe were like: "why did MC left the country? Blah blah?" And yes, the two were still fucking friends! :blob_catflip: i was so mad I could breathe fire!:blobsob: I really hate cheating novels.

Another thing, I read this tragic novel. I really thought the female character at the first chap and the one who was always narrating was the MC!!!! SHE FUCKING DIED. :blobsob::blobsob: I cried bucket of tears and got depressed for a month.:notlikeblob:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    AmethystCherry and Martialegg like this.
  8. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not traumatizing but that hypnotize meat toilet novel not that title was the issue but the age and bust sizes were.

Martialegg likes this.
  9. wangxiankarin

wangxiankarin Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That were a character death for me. I was not expecting for that happening in a first danmei novel I ever read. I was too naive because in later chapters it got much worse

Martialegg likes this.
  10. CallMeJolea

CallMeJolea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A very sad one, I cried from the begging to the end, didn't quit because it was HE, but then it wasn't, turn out that when I was deciding between two novels, I associated the the endings wrong, so I ended up reading the sad one thinking it was the good one.

Martialegg likes this.
  11. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So here I was, enjoying my day while reading my favorite novel, and the latest chapter ended with a massive cliff hanger. So like any novel afficionado would do, look for a spoiler. I search for the novel and the latest ch +1 and look for some MTLs... 5 minutes of browsing and it dawn upon me. *flashlight over my face* *spooky voice* THERE WERE NO MORE CHAPTERS!!!

wantek and Martialegg like this.
  12. Hiddena0

Hiddena0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am sort of messed up so I like when a story does something memorable like that. For me it was that one scene in reverend insanity with the bear and a little girl... no no no no

Martialegg likes this.
  13. Platinumfish

Platinumfish New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. If its' things about novels, then my most traumatic experience is looking at sites like royalroad with an uncountable number of dropped novels. So, so many dropped novels. It simply felt like going to a mass grave every single time I opened royalroad for a long time. There was this newly published "series", it was called dungeon mastery or something like that (this was quite some time after I had discovered that website) the writer wrote beautifully to the point I could practically see his envisioned dungeon (I was browsing new releases btw.) then he just dropped it. That was the final nail in the coffin. The site WAS a graveyard of great potential for all novel readers to mourn.

2. If its' novels in general, my worst experience is Arifureta I started reading the translations when it wasn't even licensed yet and felt like I had to finish it, as it was my first true "isekai" novel that I started (as in the cliché OPmc). I did finish it but with great pain in reading. Right now even a mention of the book gets my blood boiling.

Martialegg likes this.
  14. wantek

wantek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    nope, not even NTR stories can bug me. I can get annoyed or lost interest with novels but never find something that give me
    bad experience enough to call it trauma.

Close the books, remove from bookmark and go on with my life

Martialegg likes this.
  15. baka8roukanako

baka8roukanako Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was traumatised by
    Sirius Black's death
    in Harry Potter.

Martialegg likes this.
  16. LockedPuppet

LockedPuppet From the void, the circus horns~

Reading List:
    Link
    For me I was traumatized but in a good way. It's from a visual novel game series called Spirit Hunter: Death Mark and Spirit Hunter: NG. (Warning Body Horror).

It was arguably the most chilling horror experience I'd ever had since I was a child.

Martialegg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.