Discussion Novels/Mangas being called Solo Leveling ripoff

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Tristan1412, Mar 31, 2020.

?

Are you triggered by ‘another inferior solo leveling copy’, for a novel/manga with a unique concept?

1. Doesn’t bother me, you’re thinking too much

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. I agree with that opinion wdym

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, those guys should stop saying everything is like solo leveling

25 vote(s)
    71.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hegao

Hegao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Funnily enough I thought solo leveling was Seoul station's necromancer novel ripoff.

Tristan1412 and lucjanssens like this.
  2. lucjanssens

lucjanssens a very ¨rabbit¨ bunny

Reading List:
    Link
    it is with all novels or other fictions
    i'm a bit active on quora and because i answered some questions about lord of the ring and harry potter i get mails about them
    and like clockwork every month there is another mail claiming that lotr copied harry potter

Tristan1412 likes this.
  3. Tristan1412

Tristan1412 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    IFKR why do so many people agree... the manga comments section seems to be full of them
    I feel like it’s different for us to stereotype a genre or theme and complain that they’re basically the same than to call a book a ripoff of another book which has the same theme. Think about the authors who dedicated their time and effort to actually come up with their own story and unique concept, only to have their work called a poor attempt at imitating someone whose work just happens to be more ‘mainstream’. Like I’d completely agree with those examples you’ve mentioned, most cultivation novels did seem to be exactly the same at least a few years back when I used to read them (think they’ve recently found a bit more variety) and 80% of the newer Japanese LNs are almost the same nowadays (some don’t even bother coming up with their own unique signature ‘cheat skill’). Stereotyping something to me feels completely different than if I’d take Legendary Moonlight Sculptor and call it a knockoff of SAO cos it’s VR (or vice versa). I don’t know which came first or if one was actually inspired by the other but I acknowledge their own uniqueness which makes them completely different from one another. And no, I very much like Solo Leveling, reread the novel twice and the manga as well, so I don’t hate it at all for any unexplainable reason.
    Lmao ikr there were just too many plot development points in common during the first 40-50(?idk?) chapters though they took their own unique turns at some point. Even that white tiger guild recruiter An Sang-Min being very similar to the hammer guild’s Jung-Minchan. Ofc the whole feel of the story was completely different (SSN being more comedic-though I hear some would disagree on this point). Anyway, I made sure to at least attempt to fact check though I only found out they were written around the same time period. I’d accept it though if someone told me any of these two particular novels was copying (heavily influenced by) the other since the similarities are indeed striking. I suppose someone who knows Korean would have to find that out for us.
    That’s a bit... sad... Also I’d be pretty frustrated trying to deal with these trolls/idiots(?) if I were in your place, though maybe it’s something you get used to?

mir and Mananan like this.
  4. lucjanssens

lucjanssens a very ¨rabbit¨ bunny

Reading List:
    Link
    it has become a matter of pride
    but it still it very annoying to me that instead of first searcing of their questions hasn't been already asked to throw their question in

Mananan and Tristan1412 like this.
  5. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was only being general from my given examples, and I was being honest that, at some point, everyone compared a novel to another and label it as a rip off.

Just like what you did, not a minute after replying to my post.

6. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't seen anyone saying this, but I'll take your word that it's something people do. In which case.. yeah, they're dumb.

Solo Leveling is a fun novel to read, but it doesn't really break new ground in any way. It fits squarely into the box labelled "stereotypical Korean webnovel" and is more than happy to keep all arms and legs inside those boundaries. There's nothing anyone could possibly accuse another novel of stealing from it. ... And, worse, no one should ever do that. If I remember correctly, Dungeon Defense is on hiatus because people wrongly accused the author of plagiarism, simply because the novel had some similar themes with other novels. It's totally absurd and unbelievable, but that's apparently something people in Korea were willing to swallow. Let's not start rumors about any other novels being knockoffs.

Mananan likes this.
  7. firefox1234

firefox1234 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Solo leveling has nothing on Tower of God:blobpopcorn_cool:

8. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    Now you have done it
    [​IMG]

9. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    Alot of people did that with Coiling Dragon too. It was the first time they were introduced to that type of fiction, as a result many novels afterwards were compared to it, because it was still a new thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.