Question Can anyone here start writing a Light Novel with a Black Protagonist ?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Rodriguez II, Apr 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodriguez II

Rodriguez II Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can anyone here start writing a Light Novel with a Black Protagonist ?

So I am already tired of seeing the standard Japanese or Caucasian-looking protagonist in Light or Web Novels ( for example, Glen Radars in Rokudenashi Majutsu is a Caucasian-modelled protagonist with black hair and light skin ), so for a change and breath of fresh air, I wanted to read a LN with a Black or African-looking protagonist with dark skin for a change, so I have already started writing it my own and posted it on the Narou site.

However I am still a super-amateur when it comes to writing, especially in Japanese, therefore I don't have much confidence in my own ability to craft a well-written story, so in case I fail to do so by my own means, to make this thing the next trend so as to bring about a new revolution or meaningful change in the LN industry so people can read refreshing new settings in stories and widen their perspectives/horizons/consciousness, can anyone here write your own novel with a Black protagonist so as to compare and/or compete with me ?

FYI, there are lots of Japanese people too that would like to read a story with such a setting, as can be seen from this thread here : https://chomanga.org/archives/102061.html

To anyone here that can read Japanese, can you please read the thread above ? I understand JP and can read the discussion, but I'd like for anyone here to read the thread above to confirm that there are indeed some Japanese people that are interested and open to reading a (Isekai) novel with a Black Protagonist.

The main reason why I'd like to read a novel with a Black Protagonist is because I've always liked Interracial Romance/Romcoms featuring a dark-skinned main character with a light-skinned heroine, and one of my main fetishes.

Also, in this era, I think it is very important to create a novel with a cool Black Protagonist, so as to reassure Black people IRL that they are welcomed and have friends and people that like them in Asia.

The reason why I am saying this is due to the fact that I'm an Asian, and would very much love to see Black protagonists in novels, since recently I saw and read disturbing news and videos on Twitter of racial discrimination against Africans in China, and when I found out about that, I felt very sad, anguished, devastated, horrified and hurt. It's like as if someone took a knife and stabbed me in my heart when I see some people in China doing all those terrible and inhumane acts against people just because they're African or have dark skin. Maybe because I once had a past life as an African person ?

So, once I saw that, I strengthened my resolve and felt very moved to want to make Black protagonists in LNs the next new trend to prove to all Black people that not all of we Asians are the same as a few racist people in China and we do like you guys and want to see more of your people represented in fiction.

I am also pro-Japan, so I'd like to see more Black people liking Japan more as we hope you can see us and Japanese people as your Number 1 best friends/allies in Asia.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  2. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why we have a lot of Japanese games w black people.

Black cashier in Yakuza games.
    Black female fighter in fighting games.

It's easy to visualise a black character, but not when making a story out of the character. It takes a true original author for that.

Xxsafirex, Fulminata and Green Apple like this.
  3. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    Well. You should look among black authors, as they are more likely to have a black main character than japanese\chinese\korean authors.

Suranchan and drewjn like this.
  4. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Another option is someone without skill in Japanese write it in their native language, then someone else translate to Japanese.

If you have the skill to translate to Japanese then that makes it easy.

drewjn likes this.
  5. tirirism

tirirism He who dealt it

Reading List:
    Link
    People write what they know. I couldn't possibly write about a white guy without either making it a typical Trump bootlicker neo Nazi or a SIMP who jacks off to twitch babes. And that wouldn't be good for the story. In the same vein, authors who aren't black, or haven't had much experience with black people and communities, wouldn't be able to write a half decent story with a black protagonist.

drewjn likes this.
  6. mlongue

mlongue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know how to create stories but I know one about a black skinned mc. Son of the Spirit Beast mc is black skinned but he does not suffer racism because of his skin, but because of other thing. He having black skin is not really the focus, but I only know about this one.

7. Matteus

Matteus [潜んでいる] [Com Fome]

Reading List:
    Link
    Japan, China and South Korea are homogeneous countries, I'm pretty sure most JP LN writers have never actually talked to a black guy in their lives, how would they be able to write about one? From the link you gave me, it looks like Japanese are not against the idea of a black MC, but they don't know how to write one.

Suranchan and drewjn like this.
  8. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Miles Morales? They kinda made spiderman a black teenager.

It is not a japense story tho.

9. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, Black characters give awesome visuals but when writing you need to create a character with a personality (and a personality is largely influenced by ethnicity) so it's hard for Asian writers to empathise with a black protagonist

Martialegg and TamaSaga like this.
  10. JIKI

JIKI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're curious: there are novels with dark-skinned protagonists

rakuin no monshou : MC has light dark skin
    re:monster : MC has grey skin

If you want to write about actual interracial romance on narou, JUST WRITE IT,
    I really doubt it will be a big thing because
    1. Japanese readers wouldn't really be able to relate to it.
    2. there is no wish-fulfillment for them.
    but it's not taboo in any way and I think a lot of readers will be interested in some variety.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  11. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    wasn't there an anime movie that's coming with a black ml?

AmethystCherry likes this.
  12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    No, nobody here can. Light Novel is a genre unique to Japan because it involves a specific aspect of the Japanese Language. Your novel is a Light Novel if it uses a small number of kanjis and you use a language that is easy for children and teenagers to understand.

You'll be hard pressed to find Japanese writers in an English forum.

... Though I suppose you just wanted a webnovel with a black protagonist, right? Just go to https://scribblehub.com and write one. Why are you waiting for others to do what you want to read? Write it yourself.

RarestProGamer likes this.
  13. Karyehs

Karyehs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe you'd be called out for racism, if you write too much about black skin colour. And every single bad character trait would make the author look like a rascist.... If the MC does something stupid -> rascist, if the MC aphrotisiacrapes somebody -> racism...

The mere fact that you'd want to read a novel where the black skin colour of the MC is heavily emphatized -> racism.

Racism.

14. AkunDami

AkunDami Neu membar

Reading List:
    Link
    The one you're looking for is YA Novel. That community LOVES everything about Nonstereotypical (Non-white/non-cis) protagonist.

15. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend reading "The Zombie Knight Saga." Also, I remember it having a hilarious comment and the author's response to said comment.

[​IMG]

It's decently old for its type of story, though it's pretty good.

16. RarestProGamer

RarestProGamer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Am i the only one who rarely ever cared about MC's color when reading a novel? I just always imagined myself in MC's shoes and also how the hell do you write a black character if you don't know anything about their race or culture? To me it sounds like you want a black character just for the sake of it.

Shio, novaes and Suranchan like this.
  17. Suranchan

Suranchan ♥‿♥♥‿♥

Reading List:
    Link
    Perhaps go to Goodreads and find some books with black MCs, there are heaps. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.