Discussion Novels nowadays

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Return, Apr 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    Did anyone notice the enormous decline in quality novels that when you open the main novelupdates page you find that the bookmarked novels are literally 2 of like 30 other novels that update daily and the rating is getting lower for the jb novels so much that I see someone saying on a jp novel that it is so Japanese :ROFLMAO: and Korean have Korean drama and woman fawning on mc and Chinese is .... CHINESE well guys we need to have a talk about how the novels on novelupdates is becoming more more 'low' quality and I want to ask how many of you noticed that half of the board is some self proclaimed authors posting their shit ? It needs to be filtered before it becomes a second webnovel app

2. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Novelupdates is just a medium for novel updates.

Lachaize likes this.
  3. zog

zog Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NovelUpdates is literally just a Google for novels.

4. Hanada

Hanada Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tell me about it, it's telling that even with quarantine I still can't read most of the novels here and non of the series in my favorite list updated I actually started watching anime now

5. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing about it is when translators pick up novels, they go off the top list often. That means as time goes, the novels that get picked up would naturally decline in quality on average. Of course there will always be hidden gems or new novels that are awesome, but on average, the choice of novels is less.

Another thing to note is as readers become more experienced, they become more picky. So the ratings become harsher. It's like comparing anidb ratings which are made of seasoned watcher with crunchyroll watchers who think anything that airs is 5 star by default.

It also doesn't help that a lot of the cliches used by authors are used without the author actually understanding said cliche. Or as I like to call it, the once in a million year tombs opening every Tuesday. (Cliches by themselves aren't a bad thing, but stop calling it once every million year tombs if they just open up every other chapter!)

6. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    you don't understand what is NU op. here is an index that list translated novels. That's it.

7. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    There are some good ones but yeah..
    Most that people picked up is a generic low quality stuff..

8. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    All I've noticed is that the reader base does seem to have declined in size since two years ago, but in general the same kind of people are still around. There's still quite a bit of high quality stuff being posted here and there, but it would definitely be hard to notice if you don't have anything filtering as many Chinese and Korean novels as you can. As for saying things have gotten generic... It's the same formula that we've been using the whole time so I'm not sure what you're complaining about. Move on if you're sick of it. I don't want to see people hanging around reminiscing of the good ol' days when they still liked to read, and then walk around crapping on everything new.

9. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    I, your Father, take offense that the fawning ladies that are 俺Tueee almost as much as the MC or even more so until that one bloke with a rod between his legs shows up, are just jade skinned flowers.

大きなモノを装備しているけどね、使い方が下手すぎる!(and by that I mean the Plot of course, etc.)

Return likes this.
  10. Ricelord

Ricelord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh at this point, straight up fantasy setting instead of transmigration/reincarnation is better as a premise (shocking since its older kek). Prediction of meta shift: original inhabitants taking on reincarnators/transmigrators will be popular (or maybe we're all too pea brained to make an entire world by ourselves with actual good characters so we'll stick to the world we know).

KofiTranslates likes this.
  11. Arcadia Blade

Arcadia Blade ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ You can do it!!

Reading List:
    Link
    NU is always been a site to gather translated novels and only just host them to gather fame. It isn't a novel viewing site but it does have a rating system.

But we can't help that some netizens are picky with their taste in genre and some would even almost start a religion over it.

*Cough* Invisible Dragon *Cough*

I'm not one to talk about the reviewing mechanisms but you can't solely trust reviews. I actually found a good novel myself and it was rated by average because of the constant spam of low ratings. So, the ratings are always bias and shouldn't be trusted. However, you can always trust the reviewers which gives a full detail to a novel and you, yourself is the final voter if you want to read it or not.

On my point, novels had always been hard to write(based on experience) due to constant creative juices being poured to it and its always a good idea to just rely on the old method, which is actually just search the novel yourself.

TLDR: Just search your own trash and don't rely on ratings.

Return likes this.
  12. TheLadyWhoLikesBoyLove

TheLadyWhoLikesBoyLove Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I stick to the genres that I like. I never judge a novel base on the rating, and would read the reviews and few chapters before proceeding or dropping it.
    But then again it would be better if there was a setting for the main home page of novel updates, where you can filter out the updates of novels you are getting, because every time I wake up i have to move at least to page 6 to start looking for the updates of my favorites since many novels are being translated. I'm not a fan of harem and it would really help out a lot on me if there was an option to filter homepage.
    And yes, I've been staying away from jp (some are too cringy) and kr (so many smut and angst) novels

Return likes this.
  13. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Invisible dragon has a religion?

Return likes this.
  14. hawlol

hawlol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Even wuxiaworld that used to choose the best ones has been picking lots of low quality ones these days.

AmethystCherry, Return and rhezes like this.
  15. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    there is a filter on the homepage under User Tools. you can pick and chose what to filter out in the recent release section

16. mistvenom

mistvenom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Just add your favorite novels to your reading list. So, all you have to do is just go to reading list to see if your fav novels got updated or not

KofiTranslates likes this.
  17. TheWanderingDragon

TheWanderingDragon Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good question. Been reading a variety of online novels for years and only started utilising Novel Updates properly this week.

Possible issues are, that the very popular novels either get completed quickly and so fall off the main page or they become licensed.

I've previously heard the argument that the quality itself doesn't change, but personal expectations rise. Things you previously enjoyed or tolerated, become stale. I don't completely buy into this as I tend to be able to reread my personal favourites Ad Infinitum.

18. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    Majority of the novels nowadays
    [​IMG]

19. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a Directory not a reader site.

AliceShiki and Rumby like this.
  20. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    I see I understand now but where can I find a website that have filter and rating and strict on its novels where can I find that ? Do you.know that I had to go pick up some English best selling books in a bookstore called virgin mega store do you understand my suffering?