Question Something i have noticed before.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by anonymous M.K. 42, Apr 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anonymous M.K. 42

anonymous M.K. 42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey NU community there's something i have wanted to know for a while. As many have heard(read) The World of otome games is tough for mobs was licensed(one of my favorite novels). It was licensed by Seven seas and volume 1 comes out in feb 2021(for those who want to know). So i what want to know why does the publishers(?) of officially translated LN take very long to translate a volume? Well i know some LN come out pretty fast but i have only heard(read) about one or two.

2. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    Most likely, it's not only the translation but the time it takes to go back and forth with the details for editing, revising, marketing, the Japanese publisher to check cover, details and print proofs (if there are physical copies). It really depends on how many people are allocated to the project too. Licensing really only means they acquired the right to publish it. Everything else needs to be worked from that on.

3. DontLookDown

DontLookDown One with the bed

Reading List:
    Link
    So officially translated works have to work ahead a lot of times. This is so that they can keep consistency with future chapters, and as a result, they have to read really far ahead. So what happens a lot is that the first volume takes a long time. Then the second volume and following volumes are consistent and take less time. Essentially what happened with the Re: Zero translations, IIRC. A lot of the delay is also just getting rid of any errors they can and trying to maintain readability while still being as accurate to the original as possible.

readerz, rialm and Reak like this.
  4. eray.gns

eray.gns Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is definitely not because of "editing, translating and whatnot" it all boils down to profitability. X person would pay 10 bucks per 2 to 3 months for sure but X person most likely wouldn't buy it if it were every 2 weeks or in bulk. There are departments to solely calculate these kinds of things.

5. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    They probably also want to see how well the 1st volume sells before committing to printing more or less of the next volume.

6. adrielpirate

adrielpirate Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    printing and shipping takes the majority of the time

being a distributor of books nowdays is no joke... any major error, and you can go bankrupt, ending with thousands of unsold books to use in a campfire under the bridge.

Westeller, Fulminata and thepope like this.
  7. thepope

thepope Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well they are contracts and there can be many stipulations from time when you get the rights how long you can reprint it etc.
    For translations there can be extras like not only editor etc there are writers out there who want read the translations before it goes out and have the RIGHT to edit something etc.
    There are also things like rename of characters mostly in anime but still that is needed to be consulted with the original owner long after the deal is more or less done. There is also the something like main book season mostly winter when sells from books go up. People stay more at home at that time... The right time for the right item to go on sell...

EDIT: Most of the time is not for the translation, print.
    but for marketing like advertisement in other books, posters in book stores some magazins or even waiting for anime adaptation etc.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  8. Stormaggeddon

Stormaggeddon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i've also noticed something. all you Japanese who get iseakaid are battle-maniacs. you're all bat shit crazy. must be that repressed Samurai blood. lol reading any isekai novel i always find everyone is ok with fighting the Demon Lord or diving into a dungeon. i'm like yeah, i'd love to go. "you want me to go into battle and kill for you? OH HELL NO."it's like their fear got reduced big time. lol oh well you lucky bastards, have fun.

9. adrielpirate

adrielpirate Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Genjitsushugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki is a joke to you?

Konjiki no Moji Tsukai teach us how to dont give a damn to the kingdom's summon, fuck that shit im out.

10. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m seeing two basic replies to this. Production takes time, and profitability is a concern. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle of that.

I think @AdCaelum recently got a job as a translator for Seven Seas. Ask?

11. AdCaelum

AdCaelum Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've only been commissioned by Seven Seas for Sorcerer King of Destruction (shameless plug, but please buy when it comes out :aww:)
    From what I've seen and experienced, it mostly goes for production. The profitability might have an effect, but I don't think it plays much of a part until you get much further into the series (this question is about the release of the 1st volume, right?)

So, for my case, I was approached by them back in January. They usually provides several weeks for the translators to get their work done. (In my case, it ranged from 8-10 weeks.) But, the translator is allowed to ask for extensions if needed. Then, there's the back and forth editing as well as guidelines and styles the translation must follow based on publisher. If the work given back to the editor is in need of more work, then the release will be pushed back.
    For me, I finished translating Vol.1 around the end of March and it will be released by Nov. I'm not sure of the standard, but this is what happened to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.