Recommendations Self-aware NPCs

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Demintika, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Demintika

Demintika Dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm looking for this specific kind of novel:
    1. VR Game novel, either online or offline, preferably an RPG.
    2. MC is the player. I'm NOT looking for NPC MC gaining awareness nor player turning into NPC.
    3. SPECIFICALLY, A lot of / a majority of / all of the NPCs are aware that they are NPCs.
      • Not just aware of the difference between players and NPCs, but understand it like the players does.
      • The NPCs should be high level AI role-playing as NPCs for the player(s)' entertainment.
        • I made this thread because of a novel where the NPCs can stop role-playing and acting out of character in front of a player if they have to.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  2. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
  3. KHA2

KHA2 wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    Auntie Toasts the VRMMO (updating). Fits exactly, NPC's are high functioning enough to be mistaken for other players, though they lack the player's immortality, ability to rapidly level, and potential to diversify. Online VRMMO, with the "Auntie" in the title being a retired engineer. NPC's know the difference between them and player's, but I can't remember if they know that they exist purely for another's entertainment.

Data Dragon Danika (Complete). Realistic version of an initial VR World. NPC's are typically high functioning when interacted with, but low functioning when not. There are a few exceptions, but they're purposeful exceptions. Fits all your requests. NPC's are merely extensions of an overarching AI puppeteering all the NPC's at once.

Oblivion Online (Complete). An interesting story of a person who started playing a VRMMO as a monster, only to come to the conclusion that the monsters are people to. Fits all your requests, and has a heavy focus on the NPC's interacting with the MC. NPC's know the difference between them and player's, and know they exist for other's entertainment.

Seven (Hiatus). MC plays a VRMMO, and gets good because one of her childhood friends did that "my memories went back in time, so I'm going to become rich due to this video game" trope, and immediately abandons the MC (he forgot about her due to the fact she stopped playing in his timeline, due to never learning many of the basics, and thus sucking). NPC's are human-level intelligence's, and know the difference between them and players.

Wocket and Demintika like this.
  5. Demintika

Demintika Dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    @Darius Drake Thank you for your recommendation. I just realized in most of VR MMO novels, the NPCs can differentiate between themselves and the players. What I was looking for is a bit different and more specific though.
    P/s: Danika and OO are already in my Read Later. Maybe I will just start reading them.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  6. Demintika

Demintika Dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    Finished reading three novels and I feel empty again.
    Bump.