Discussion Is Flying Lines legal?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Alta, May 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alta

Alta Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a translation site with paywalls. Why are they charging? Does the original author get anything/royalties from them? I don't see any indication that they do.

I know translation work is a hard job and commend all those who do it. I do actively donate to translators I like. Distributing chapters on another platform already toes the line. But is it okay to just completely paywall a chapter translation like that when it's not their original work and it seems like the author has no knowledge of it?

Currently boycotting Flying Lines because of this to be honest.

Kitama and Imperiestro like this.
  2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    It's Qidian 2.0mg. :blobwoah:

3. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not legal, and authors probably don't know about it. Not all the novels are pay walled some aren't. I know of three series that I'm reading that are still free. Hopefully they stay that way.

4. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, they aren't legal

Hard? They are MTL from the few releases that I saw.

5. iamreader

iamreader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read two novels that are free but there are novels are payed but putted in nu I taught nu doesn't accept paywall for example the became aunt of my best friend which has paywall

6. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is legal. They have the permission from the original copyright holders to translate whether they put it behind a paywall is up to them. Is it shady yes, but it is legal. Whether or not the author gets anything is another matter though.

PS. The indication that you are looking for can be found in their "contact us" that can be found at the bottom of the page.

AImmortalZ and Kitama like this.
  7. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    that's why some chapters are not shown if I'm no wrong
    I really dont like paywall but since flying lines has a lot of bl and I dont spend real money, I use it semi occasionally

AImmortalZ likes this.
  8. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    Flying Lines doesn't have rights over the author's original work but they have rights to their own translations so idk how that works. Besides, paywalled chapters shouldn't be linked to NU anyway.

9. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobunsure: are the chapters on NU paywalled?

10. iamreader

Reading List:
    Link
    No the links links where novels are free for some time and then there are some where they ask you to pay I am not talking about nu I am saying about the individual translater websites who put it in nu free for some chapters and ask pay for later chapters in there websites for example the glory after rebirth where tough translater didn't put it in nu for payed wall chapters but did in his website why pick something free for some time and ask pay for later so other translators get confused if they should translate the rest since payed chapters links or not in nu or not since someone already translated it.so they don't pick them.
    The readers think that they have to pay for payed chapters since no one will pick it up it's it's confusing either translate for free or for payed don't do half for free and half for pay I know translators work hard to translate iam not targeting anyone just wanted to tell my taughts sorry if offended anyone.

AImmortalZ likes this.
  11. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But...you said you thought nu didn't link to paywalled chapters...

As for the rest of that...uh, free chapters are the bait. Once you're hooked, you'll be willing to pay for the chapter or...get it from other sources. Honestly, I find the practice dumb asf but what are you going to do.

iamreader likes this.
  12. iamreader

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry what I meant there was mistake while writing about nu accepts paywall chapters . I saw that when i go to free chapters and click next for few times and suddenly asking it's payed so I taught the payed chapter was on nu too after I checked on nu and knew the payed were not there but people do get confused if they experience the same thing any way you are right they are like baits to lure readers even they are paid and technically not on nu transle rs will be reluctant to translate them since someone already translated it even tough they are paid and not on nu

13. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    They clearly state that they only have permission for many of them though, not all.
    I would assume that means the novels they have listed as exclusive, though there are paywalled chapters among the ones listed as contributions as well.

14. firefox1234

firefox1234 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They are QI/webnovel retard cousin.

15. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
  16. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Legal? That depends on whether or not they have permission to translate. Until they can provide evidence that they do have permission, their status remains illegal and can be acted on. Yes, just simply saying that they have permission will do nothing. They need to have actual black and white. This is why Ren's lawsuit with QI was so damn complicated since Ren only received verbal permission and not black and white.

So until they provide evidence, it is alright to consider them doing this illegally. What this means is, you can question their legality but can't outright call them a liar, because that then becomes libel unless you have evidence or probable cause to suggest that they lied. What can you do about it despite knowing that it's illegal? Nothing, since you're not the copyright owner of the original work. But the copyright owner or the person who represents the copyright owner can DMCA or send a C&D at any time to Flying Lines. So if you do not like how Flying Lines operate, you can contact the copyright owner and inform them that Flying Lines is making money off their stuff.

What will happen next? Flying Lines will be forced to take down their translations, and if they refuse, their entire website can be closed down or they can be brought to court, depending on which law you're using. Some would argue that their translations are theirs and the copyright owners have no right over it and can't take it down. That's completely wrong. The copyright of the translator is a derivation of the original copyright, and therefore, the original copyright holds precedent. However, the translator does have copyright for his own translation and therefore, the original copyright holder can't make use of the translation without the translator's permission. In the past, people argued that this is free use, and that's totally wrong too, because this is not free use.

17. Bellilelly

Bellilelly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then @Ai chan can the original author sue translator for .... plagiarism.

18. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    That depends on the law of the country that is being used. And whether or not the law of the country states that plagiarism is the same thing as copyright infringement. In many cases, it uses the same law, but are different terms. Regardless, the original author may sue the translator for 'copyright infringement'. However, this is more trouble than its worth and are usually only used when the copyright owner either wants to teach the translator a lesson or they really hate the translator.

Kitama and GDLiZy like this.
  19. Bellilelly

Bellilelly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see... TYSM for the enlightenment!

20. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    There is no way they are legal. Take for example bookworm, the one who owns a license for that is J-Novel.

They are as legal as me claiming you gave me legal rights over all your stuff and now I am giving out checks to people from your bank account.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.