Discussion Chinese Qidian author contract

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dragonil20, May 1, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shizun

Shizun 《Jack of all trades》《Artist/Author》《Dao of BLedia》

Reading List:
    Link
    They are either blinded by money. Or its the only way to get paid as writer lol. Or they don't even know about it. I mean... lots of beginner writers don't know about those terms.

I only know about it cuz i read it somewhere here in novelupdates. So i kept it in mind. In short signing ur soul over to Q.

2. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    That link no longer relevant, there’s a new contract terms, idk if it’s good or a bad thing though

Dragonil20 likes this.
  3. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We don't need to like something to appreciate how well done it is. As for China, I think that I will stay away from politics from now on. The CCP sucks but you are given those conditions before entering. Unfair or not, once inside you are part of the problem.

Dragonil20 likes this.
  4. mcmunhuu

mcmunhuu [Got rejected by LaDyViL] [T_T] [No Game No Life]

Reading List:
    Link
    That is one shitty contract i have ever seen in my life lol i think the contract is so long the authors didnt really read throughly i think lol

Kansuou likes this.
  5. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't ever take these threads seriously. Why? Its all hear say, there is no reasonable or definitive proof...

I'm invested in Qidian in a way sure I read o WebNovel but I can tell you I shit on them more than anyone else. Unless I can see some factual evidence I'm just gonna take this as more propaganda.

Things that start off as:
    Apparently
    I heard
    I saw
    There was this
    That/This link
    That/This post
    There was a
    yadda yadda yadda

Try @Qidian enough and hope for a response god knows if they would their page alone is flooded with notifications every few minutes. None disclosure agreements aside this stuff has been argued about for what 3 yrs now? Every since they implemented the whole OC contracts? Its been the same stuff flying around since then. Speaking purely for myself, I choose to remain skeptical about all information. Plus there is always the option to just not accept the contract right? If you read the contract and find that you don't like or agree with it you could always stop writing and publish somewhere else... wtf is the big question here?

pandaqueen likes this.
  6. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    Their reputation is not that good and if something like this happened I wouldn't suprised. Someone should use this event to write story about protagonist who bring down evil corporate from within.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    UnknownSaint171 and Kansuou like this.
  7. Dragonil20

Dragonil20 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you have any link for the new contract

8. Dragonil20

Dragonil20 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try reverend insanity it’s a reason why it got banned in China T-T

9. defry

defry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's not how writing works my friend.

They don't just put words in there... maybe there is few but that's now how you write shit.

I am trying to organize my thoughts by writing them down, then restructuring to make sense or have proper expression. That takes me days, imagine writing a story or a world... a chapter can take days to write, unless they have a a proper path or progress where they take the story to, even they... if they cannot express it properly, they have writing blocks.

Forcing them to write is not like gulags or labour camps, they need to create shit out of nowhere, out of their heads, thoughts or imagination.

Shizun likes this.
  10. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    no cause they made you say it. XD

11. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I know how writing works, but lets be clear about something about writing in CN.

1) To get anywhere there, you need to output 3-5 chapters a day

2) In many cases, the stories are written by teams, not even the author themselves

3) Most of the writing we get is word spam because of the above, 100 chapters hold 20 chapters of content

Overall in theory, you can simply write the entire story first before publishing, thus you will always be on time. You simply won't be able to gauge people's reactions and such and go in blind.

Of course the whole issue stems from Qidian themselves. The way Qidian made it favors wordspam. And they are simply trying to patch in a leaking boat with boards and nails.

But I assure you, when chapters span to over 1000+ with most of it being wordspam, there is no expression there

ExcitableFoci likes this.
  12. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s on the front page of the site, “Become Author”

Dragonil20 likes this.
  13. forecast

forecast [Batoto Veteran] [sakurahana veteran]

Reading List:
    Link
    They do have a path.
    Weak mc, everyone against him, discover powerful thing, exponentially grow stronger, revenge. Part 1 complete.

Encounter powerful evil baddie, stomp him, baddie family stomps mc inch to death, mc grows stronger, revenge. Move to stonger place and repeat. × as long as there is profit.

Ending, forget all beginning and middle story friends, become ultimate super powerful master of the universe.

It sounds like mocking but we all know I just described a good chunk of qidian novels. Especially if they go past 1k chapter stories.

UnknownSaint171 likes this.
  14. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dragonil20 likes this.
  15. Vanidor

Reading List:
    Link
    I know they mentioned that this isn't the current contract but it sounds like a work for hire writing job for big western publishers + extra fuckovers. Any big series like Hardy Boys, Star Trek novels, etc. have something similar as a contract but not quite as bad.

Authors everywhere get screwed, like western authors get 6-8% of the cover price on a paperback. So a $10 paperback they might get 60 to 80 cents. If it is a work for hire they might not get that, just a lump sum no matter how popular or unpopular it is.

c.decora and Dragonil20 like this.
  16. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, bait people with 2-3 point advantage....and the rest 97-98 point are disvantage...

Dragonil20 likes this.
  17. jiaowoge

jiaowoge Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, seems like it is true. Yuewen has a new contract for the authors, and theres even some top authors rushing their book to end right now qidian, cause they wanna leave yuewen/qidian or smth.
    Here’s a link about the situation for anyone that can read Chinese or want to use google translate: user.guancha.cn/main/content?id=298903

Dragonil20 likes this.
  18. Kansuou

Kansuou Song of Lone Indifference.

Reading List:
    Link
  19. Vanidor

Reading List:
    Link
  20. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    • All copyright of any given work now belongs to Tencent, until 50 years after the author's death. Tencent can do whatever the fuck they want with it without having to negotiate anything with the author.
    • Legal fees caused by copyright disputes will still be entirely paid by the author, not Tencent.
    • Tencent can release any work on the platform for free.
    • Tencent has the right to any social media accounts of the author.
    • Tencent is not obligated to provide authors with any employee benefits.
    • Upon signing the contract the author is obligated to provide an exact schedule for how and when a work will be completed. Failure to following the schedule will be seen as breaking the contract, to which Tencent can respond by not distributing benefits to the author, or requiring the author to take responsibility for losses incurred.
    RIP Chinese Webnovels.... :blobpeek:

Dragonil20 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.