Discussion Japanese novels are cringy af.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Catastrophe3905, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    There is the good and there is the bad, some people like quality and some people like quantity, bland and cringy as they come, they got there 'consumers' you might not like them and you are free to think that but don't generalize, never generalize, because there is always at least one case that might prove you wrong, for example, you say that
    Well, take a look at 'Instant Death' and you will see that it is not the case and that novel is not the only one.

2. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    First person generally has higher immersion than 3rd person, but the downside to 1st person is if you can't emphasize with the MC, it becomes harder to bare.

JP web novels are generally written for the Japanese audience, so while sure there may be a ton of crap out there, at same time many of the stuff are aimed at the JP audience mentality. And if your mentality doesn't match then obviously it would be harder to read.

PS inner dialog can be really fun if it does match something you can emphasize with.

reagents 11 likes this.
  3. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, and it's called culture shock. xD
    It's when something just doesn't click and feels wrong, while everyone around you doesn't seem to understand what you feel xDD

It's like when you go to a tribal society and seeing someone is beheading another tribal group like a chicken.
    Or like when you can steal someone's wife by challenging them to a duel.
    Or like when the children are playing with the beheaded heads and dancing happily with it.

The moral standard of another society or culture is something that you can't judge by our own worldview. The moment you do so, then you will experience culture shock.

The Japanese culture is widely known to have a weird sense of humor and entertainment even when Anime is still not yet founded. The moment it founded, it's no wonder the direction of the culture are heading to a weird direction.
    Not to mention that the Japanese anime industry is actually a soft propaganda funded by the Japanese government.
    It is a product meant to reduce people's aggressiveness (Because of the dissatisfaction for hard life in Japan) and making them love Japanese culture.

sonhot likes this.
  4. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

5. Catastrophe3905

Catastrophe3905 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I did say that there are some good novels out there though. And I agree that they are not my type so, i was just wondering if i am the only one who thinks that way.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  6. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    There are much more many. But they just don't have that much time to waste to try to find out.

I think Captain America is cringy as hell and he had ruined the entire franchise. Am i the only one think this way ?

vlue, Ai chan and Catastrophe3905 like this.
  7. Catastrophe3905

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like captain America either.

reagents 11 likes this.
  8. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What makes you cringe about it?
    JP web or light novels are mostly first person view with a mix of third person view. Chinese and Korean novels are third person view with a mix of first person view monologues.
    Um, because it's a first person point of view?
    Tell me which monologues are cheesy? I find it rare to find cheesy monologues in JP fiction... excluding the retarded heroism and romantic comedy. Almost forgot the real life trope of JP people keeping their thoughts to themselves. Lack of expression is a must in their society.
    Fair point, but not all characters are 2D.
    That's a lot of cringe you're talking there. Recommend me their titles. I'm curious now whether they're actually cringe or not.
    They're completely different things. Not a good comparison with light novels.
    No comment, since I rarely read female protagonist stories.
    Post-WW2 did a number on the youth's education.
    I can relate to some extent, but I'm a pacifist though I like to brute force things usually.
    I don't know, since I don't feel cringe reading JP fiction. I can tell when they're tropes or parodies of cliches. Treat them as such, as no normal person does such actions or thoughts, unless they were otakus or weebs.

reagents 11 and Catastrophe3905 like this.
  9. Catastrophe3905

Reading List:
    Link
    Perhaps it's the cultural difference cuz for me inner monologue in many of the Japanese novels makes me cringe. I guess it may not be as cringy for others.

10. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I mostly cringe bout jp too, gone r the days when I read webnovel a like road to kingdom or world teacher or wn in general

Catastrophe3905 likes this.
  11. Kuroihagane

Kuroihagane Investi-gathor

Reading List:
    Link
  12. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    e81.gif