Discussion What do you think of Japan's Waifu culture

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by Kumo723, May 2, 2020.

1. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For that there is the existence of "Huspando". The male part of waifu, Just watch Free!, its all about fanservice for girls with body exposures of males in swimsuits

2. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    A single lawyer going against a multi billion dollar behemoth and it's army of perverts?!.

I'll lit a candle in your name.

Not even the home country could put a leash on this beast, and even the world is failing. A single lawyer would just get smushed in its hair follicles. You can see how policing on Loli turned out there.

Kumo723 likes this.
  3. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This sounds like a personal problem.

Sex sells in the manga industry. Most artists don't have a lot of money unless they create a successful story; harem stories have been shown to sell as long as the art is good.

Need money to live -> make semi-profitable harem story -> spend money on living expenses and more -> need more money to live. So the cycle repeats.

4. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate to tell you this, but they kind of did something like that, after all, the number of artists is huge and you can't control everyone of them, you simply just watch what you want and act as if the rest don't exist :blobsweat_2:

5. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I prefer
    over lolis.
    I mean in Bleach for instance, I prefered Nelliel (grown version) over Yoruichi over Nozomi over Tier over Orihime over Rukia over ... over Rangiku, etc. etc.
    And Rangiku is well down on the list because for my taste, that's a bit much. And Tier is way up there because from my memories, back then, I loved how she wore the face-covering jacket.

On wether I think there's too much genderbender in historical figures... Yes.
    Hyakka Ryōran for one, is a very strange one for me. When I first watched it, I was hoping "maybe the next character will be a guy"... Boy did I not expect there to be that many male characters.

I mean, would it kill to have others like others and MC getting someone instead of it all focused on the MC? I can't even get the name off the top of my tongue for the one novel I'd recommend that does it well... GAAH.

On the other side, of the waifu culture, I don't mind it too much. I would actually love to have a holo AI waifu that helps me through the day.
    On the heavy side, of the waifu culture, I mind it very much. OK, so you have a waifu. Good for you. Keep her to yourself. No need to wear her, carry her around in life-size form and just be an annoying arse like the riajuu that walk around with their current girl/boy and display it publicly. KEEP THEM. Just don't bloody be an annoying arse about it.

TL;DR:
    Yes. Too much focus on having MC being main target of genderbent characters (and others).
    Yeano, waifus can stay, just keep it cool.

6. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    i assume ur a guy

7. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    i have a feeling most of the ppl in this thread are guys

8. Milanin

Reading List:
    Link
    I assure that your assumption is correct.

Since you didn't have any "No boys allowed" tag or anything mentioned that guys can't respond.

9. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    of course not, it's more of a "why am I not surprise"

10. Zeusomega

Reading List:
    Link
    well if you want a safe zone, you could just add a bl tag and we'll be poof.

Mantrazz likes this.
  11. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    I've learned to just sigh and carry on. Ignore the trashy anime when they show their true colours, and try not to think about how they trample all over important historical figures. (Like Sappho... Someone really turned Sappho, mother of all lesbians, into a "comical moe yuribait" character...)

As for encountering truly overpowering waifu culture... I hit them back like this.
    Jack.Atlas.full.2406335.jpg 77mkcau2itp21.jpg 354992-c3cdb4e7e7c947419677bc21c336092b.jpeg

Kumo723 likes this.
  12. Milanin

Reading List:
    Link
    Though I must say that I am surprised that you didn't engage in deeper conversation about it, but just made a observation of:
    *shrugs* Meh, I'm off then. *goes off to continue reading Ake no Tobari manga*

AncientFang likes this.
  13. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    i dont mean that i dont want boys it's more like a "why am I not surprise kinda thing" I made this thread for 1. "Im not alone am I" and 2. Its annoying and I have a lot to say and 3. is no one a historian in here??
    but i guess i shouldnt feel weird since most of the respond her are from guys

14. Zeusomega

Reading List:
    Link
    Well let me ask you.

If you could choose from a ripped Hercules with G-string and a perfect hourglass Cleopatra in dress, which one would you choose ?. Now don't tell me cause they are historical and religious figures you can't fantasize about them ?.

And just because we are boys doesn't mean you group all of us into one farm, the same way we don't like to see damsels in distress anymore than you do.

waifu genre is made for people who like them, same way BL is made for those who like it. Just because I don't like bl, I can't go crying how annoying it is.

And anyway what were you doing watching or reading waifu stories if you didn't like it XD.

Milanin likes this.
  15. Milanin

Reading List:
    Link
    And I'm not even a historian. Just an assumed, later confurmed, guy. Man, so much to say. (Had to come back after reading two chapters, just because it was annoying me)

16. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    um bl has nothing to do with this, "it's just Is no one in here a history lover?"

17. IvyParker

IvyParker Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So let's take a look at Japan's declining birthrate to find the answer.

Prior to the cultural revolution and women's lib, it was expected for a female to dedicate herself solely to her husband and his interests, with no other purpose of her own. This meant taking care of his household, his children, his parents, and supplementing his income with makework jobs like sewing and laundry services. Women were raised with the expectation they would be given away, and treated as the family's servant, and men were raised to take over the family legacy, raised strictly by their fathers and spoiled by their mothers. Mothers ran interference in the beatings and discipline fathers doled out to sons, whereas daughters were their fathers favorites, but strictly raised by their mothers.

This changed as soon as women truly entered the workforce in the 1980s. Now women had a separate discretionary income before they were married. Now they could buy their own clothes, their own goods, without having to rely on the family or their husband. Entering the stage, the OL (aka office lady, aka old lady). The OL is dedicated to her career. The OL is self-sufficient. The OL doesn't want to get married right out of school. The OL eventually becomes an old spinster... But with more sexual freedom to date. They would rather have an affair at work than marry. The OL is independent, and though some still live with their parents, others moved out to go to college, to move where the jobs were. This largely made these women viewed as scandalous by the previous generations, where the only way for a woman to be respectable was to have a husband.

What does this have to do with Waifus? Okay, so now you have several generations of women raised to work, and several generations of men still being raised to see a proper wife as a person like their mother - who is dedicated solely to the family, to housework, to the kids education, and who does not have a true vocation, only jobs that help her husband, like helping to run the family business. Boys who are raised to believe that girls who date are promiscuous, and girls with lives and vocations are too improper and ambitious. These men search for the perfect wife, but each generation, fewer and fewer women want to give up their freedoms to become the typical subdued daughter-in-law.

This now presents itself as two new types of entertainment culture to appeal to women and men. Fujoushi and waifu cultures.

The ideal harem of Waifus are wholly dedicated to the male protagonist. They are never more intelligent than him. They are often super sweet and naive, or tsundere and whiny. These women live only to show how wonderful the male of the group is, fighting over the pleasure of serving him or being spoiled by him. They are condescended to, and exist as a tool to uphold the male. If they are in any way superior to him in combat, wealth, or power, then they must, for inexplicable reasons, love him so deeply that they put all of that power at his service. This is often found in the combat maid genre of characters. And all of this is born from the frustrations of current Japanese men being unable to marry a proper girl who will be completely submissive at home and see them as above all else, including self.

The women are just as deluded. The fujoushi culture, even shoujo culture, is born out of that rare, mythical male unicorn, a sensitive man who can give up his power to his more domineering partner while still maintaining the Independence of a man. Otomen, in a word. The power dynamics of a male on male relationship ring truer to what a modern woman requires. The more dominant male partner does not require the other male to give up his job, or his financial freedom. They often maintain separate houses and lives. They don't require each other to drop out of school or quit work. Their families are often uncomplicated by children, and if there are children, neither partner is required to solely raise that child to the exclusion of everything else. There are often areas of the relationship where both men treat each other thas as equals. Whether women see themselves as otomen or the more dominant partner, this is what they desire in a relationship. This is not what Japanese males are raised to be, which is why fiction often focuses on these otomen characters as "outside societal norms". The manga "Otomen" is a great example, lol, but so is any shoujo with demons as the male lead, or other supernatural and homosexual elements in women's manga. The shoujo with the huge gorilla-like guy is such a great subversion of the tropes of this genre, playing with masculinity vs sensitivity, and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Basically, these types of fictional cultures exist because modern people in Japan (and even in the west) do not want to get married. Or they do want to get married, but to have their cake and eat it too, no compromises. They will start marrying and having families when they both give up this ideal of perfect servitude or perfect independence. Until then, Waifus and otomen galore.

AncientFang, Mantrazz and Milanin like this.
  18. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    ... Lesbianism is the answer to all things.

Chrono Vlad, Milanin and IvyParker like this.
  19. Zeusomega

Reading List:
    Link
    So if someone loves history, they can't have sexual fantasies about historical figures ?. Hahaha:blobjoy:.

any historians in court ?, Please enlighten me if it's a sin to dream about Cleopatra.

Chrono Vlad likes this.
  20. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    sure but whats with the rude trample-all-over-them gender blend deal? I mean for example, Monk Tang Seng, what is he? A F*CKING BUDDHIST monk!! And what does Buddhist value? Asceticism!!
    Asceticism is a lifestyle characterized by abstinence from sensual pleasures, often for the purpose of pursuing spiritual goals.