Recommendations Favorite Protagonists

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Cosmic_, May 4, 2020.

1. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    Recommend me some of your favorite protagonists. Can be translated, original, fanfic, etc. I'm focused on the MC's personality, not powers, relationships, or even the plot and story. Take away their cheats and supporting characters, what do they have left? What makes them a good character?

I've been rereading a lot of novels and been quite frustrated with some of the protagonists. Really shows how much my tastes and awareness have improved and changed.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  2. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    I once had one...
    But now I had none...

3. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cosmic_ likes this.
  4. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Fang yuan from Reverend Insanity.

From my view he his the only one with the right attitude and drive to really be a cultivation hero.

The author with knowing or without has made the very essence of cultivation bare infront of the readers.

That's because cultivating itself is to separate yourself from norm and seek individual benefit, you are going against the very foundation of human cohabitation, so human morals are no longer a necessity but a choice, and Fang yuan clearly prioritises reaching his goals, being morally good is more of a "do I get something?".

it's sinfully wrong in our world, but a need in a world where the rat race can literally kill you or make you god.

5. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    Taikoubou from Houshin Engi (manga). It's basically a retelling of Investiture of the Gods except with more wacky humor and anachronisms. Taikoubou is...a wonderful trickster archetype with real heart, trying to do his best while getting stomped on by enemies (and allies, for humorous effect). It's moving to see how many layers he has under that blase attitude and the whole manga is full of feels beyond its wacky hijinks. And the ending...bittersweet but beautiful. (The extra gaiden published recently help give it a lighthearted feel.)

EDIT for one example:
    So the first time I realized Taikoubou wasn't just a jokester was when one of his "allies" challenged him to get all these refugees past a border pass to prove he was as much as genius as his reputation claims.

Instead of showing off his brains, Taikoubou just decides on the best solution to get ALL the refugees through safely, which ends up with him pretending to side with the border guards and forces his ally to use his shapeshifting powers, transforming into the border guard's boss and basically ordering him to open the gates and tie up Taikoubou for making a mess of things.

Taikoubou ends up getting painted as a villain and hated on by the refugees, but he doesn't care since it accomplishes the goals of getting the people through safely. When the ally finally figures this out (he's pretty smart too), he's wholly convinced by Taikoubou and vows to be his ally...after running off to improve his skills some more, lol.

(Taikoubou's like: wtheck you're leaving already?!) Anyways, the whole series is a mix and match of comedy + serious introspective realizations like this that I love.

To this day, he remains one of my favorite protagonists. I highly recommend reading it, even with its sweeping background of Chinese history and loads and loads of characters, because it's a memorable story with plenty of action and feels throughout! It's basically like a novel in comic form lolol~

Novel protags are kinda recent in my memory so I can't think of any that stands out in particular (they sort of blend together after a while?). Maybe I'll have more answers after lunch and other people's posts!

Cosmic_ likes this.
  6. Warlock Of The Void

Warlock Of The Void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well considering u want recom , mine would be :
    Warlock of the Magus World
    Reverend Insanity
    Both have characters with the right attitude to be in the world they r , they always ask the question ' what benefits do I get and is it worth the risk ' in a world where personal power means EVERYTHING they know what they should prioritize. Other than them another would be Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich , now it's very different from the previous two in the beginning but , as u read along the story the MCs point veiws and personality becomes more well established it's a different take from the previous two but still very much believable with the thought of ' what do u do when u can't do anything alone - get cannon fodder ... I mean allies '. Another would be When A Mage Revolts , this one would work very well for u because there is no real cheat or help for the MC whatever he does or has is from his own efforts so his personality and character r more fleshed out.
    Other than those I recommend comic book - Invincible ( by image ) great work can't go wrong with it.

Cosmic_ likes this.
  7. GonZ555

GonZ555 What i want for christmas is you

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm... this is a tough question...
    A good protagonist needs a character that fits their story.. if you take away their story, then... what do they have left?

8. norach212

norach212 Unknown being

Reading List:
    Link
    If i can only choose from novels, then it would be Tanya from Youjo Senki.
    But if i can pick from anime as well, then Kiritsugu Emiya from Fate Zero.

Cosmic_ and Vampire Maiden like this.
  9. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    Believe me or not,

Yi Yun from True Martial World is still one of my favorites MC in cultivation world although many considered him as bland

also Zhang Xuan from LoHP and Yan Zhaoge from HSSB

their similarities? They are focused on what they doing

Cosmic_ likes this.
  10. kuroAnsatsu

kuroAnsatsu Realistically Stoic

Reading List:
    Link
    Lin Ming in Martial World is likeable to me. He's a straightforward person who's kind to his allies and merciless to his enemies. He's not reckless and calculate everything calmly, playing and beat his enemies in their own game. As far as I could remember, he never let his guard down and never underestimate or looking down on his enemies no matter how strong or weak they are, so getting cocky is never in his dictionary.

There's also Gintoki in Gintama. He can be funny and serious at the right time and place.

There's also one from the manhwa that I read recently, Lucas Trauman from The Great Mage Returns After 4000 Years, he's the first MC in a while who's going for the Milf instead of a young lady.

Edit: I forgot to mention Hikigaya from Oregairu. He's the best of the best

Vampire Maiden and Cosmic_ like this.
  11. kapo91

kapo91 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Falling Rain of Savage Divinity

Probably the best character i have ever read...... and i have read A LOT

norach212 and Cosmic_ like this.
  12. Haevrus

Haevrus No.1 Incognito Webuser

Reading List:
    Link
    Su Ming from Pursuit of the Truth, I guess.
    (or Beseech The Devil as it was called before Qidian took it.)

Dude is a Berserker but has the patience of a monk. Is a barbarian but acts like a sage. Desires freedom but his whole life was a prison. Is curious about everything but never goes overbroad.

Even though novel isn't high up in my list. (I find A Will Eternal much better). But yeah, the dude did hit the mark.

"When you know who you are, you are no longer you. When you no longer know who you are, then you are truly you. "

Cosmic_ likes this.
  13. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    Not saying you have to take away their story, more that sometimes people's favorite protagonists are based mostly on the story rather than how the protagonists plays into it. Some protagonists are largely stand ins for the audience.

Now, a related question, which protagonist best fits their story?

Vampire Maiden and GonZ555 like this.
  14. Sparteh

Sparteh The Devourer

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with many things mentioned in this post, especially the quote (it is seriously one of my favorites), except for the fact that I consider AWE to be Er Gen's 2nd worst work (only A World Worth Protecting being worse).

As for why I agree about Su Ming, while he is THE Devil, unlike the most CN protagonist, he didn't become evil slaughterer for no reason or just for the sake of being "dark". He had one of the best character development of all CN protagonists. In the case of many novels (not only CN, but also JP and KR), MCs doesn't change. If you compared standard MCs at the beginning, middle and end of their respective novels, there wouldn't be much of the difference because they don't change no matter their age or experience. In Su Ming's case, the difference was massive. He actually changed due to his life experiences.

In addition, unlike the most MCs, his goals are really relatable: desire to know who you are, to find your family and to go home.

Haevrus likes this.
  15. GonZ555

GonZ555 What i want for christmas is you

Reading List:
    Link
    I can see that happening a lot in a novel..

Hmm.. i still cant decide the "best".. but grisia sun from LSK, and jiang shuyu(guan weijun) from dominion's End, and MC of "The morcyth saga" is a top contender for my personal best.

16. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    Klein morrieti from Lord of Mysteries is the most relatable and convincing main character that you would love to read about and my favorite character is Amon

17. Muspon

Muspon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    amon amon i would love for him to die in a pile of shit though he is still a good charachter mine is roselle though