Discussion Answering the Harem Hater’s (simps) questions

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Prince of Sadness, May 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CosmicInsomniac

CosmicInsomniac Well-Known Cultist

Reading List:
    Link
    I really dislike that trope, since usually the girl who "allows" you to have a Harem is a Himedere, Kamidere, or Tsundere. Tsundere's with this trope are alright, but I just hate it when the other 2 do that kind of thing. Himedere's are usually okay, but Kamidere's can go rot in hell, especially if they're an actual goddess. It's just redundant to have a God with a God Complex.
    Did you really create an account to tell us that we can't discuss the validity of harems in novels?

Loni4ever and Sabruness like this.
  2. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve seen the word “simp/s” being thrown around a lot on social media recently. I gotta say it just sounds so stupid~

Loni4ever, Dr_H_16, Jackmeher and 3 others like this.
  3. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Also, even after all this time of flogging a dead horse they dont even own the harem concept and have the protag-kun stand up and say 'yes, i love you all so it's a harem. If you dont like it, GTFO.'. Usually, it's either open ending where nothing happens OR the winning girl is obvious from early on and the rest of the harem is just stock flat characters to fill space and pander to as many people as possible to increase the moniez and stoke the inevitable rage when the obvious winner wins and people realise the harem was a con.

Dr_H_16 and vlue like this.
  4. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well even Pulitzer winners don't get the same amount of readers with ones in ln and wn (ofcourse the famous ones).

5. norach212

norach212 Unknown being

Reading List:
    Link
    We don't need a reason to start a war. We look for a reason before starting a war.

Loni4ever, Martialegg, H.H and 2 others like this.
  6. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Slogan for all warlords XD.

Loni4ever likes this.
  7. Prince of Sadness

Prince of Sadness Member

Reading List:
    Link

Lol true, there are some good ones out there but stay away from JP novels they are just dense actual wish fulfillment type of novels. Meanwhile novel’s with MC’s who would actually get laid with girls insetead of JP ones like God of Slaughter, 4th Prince’s Debauchery, ATG, Womanizing Mage are very rare, wish more authors wrote good MC’s

8. RarestProGamer

RarestProGamer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    here is an example that explains why men are call players and women are called sluts. The Chosen principal.
    when it comes to sex it's (generally) the man trying to get the woman to pick him as a sexual partner. So if a man is picked by multiple women it suggests that he is of "higher quality". where as if a woman picks lots of men it suggests that she has "low or poor" standards or selecting skills.

-the current sexual culture is still one in which men try and "pick up" women. Therefore, the ones who have a lot of sex are, well, good at what they do. Like a salesmen with the most sales. Women in this culture pretty much have their pick of the litter of all the guys trying to get into her pants. Therefore, women who have lots of sex with lots of guys are likes those spoiled kids at the toy store who want one of everything. That's the belief anyway.

It's not a double standard as they are different. It's very easy for a woman to sleep around, it's not easy for a man to do the same, it takes a lot more game which is why they get more respect for doing so.

9. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't always hate harem. I actually used to read everything without discrimination. But eventually I got sick of harem and ecchi. The same old bullshit, nothing interesting ever happens, always predictable, filled with cockblocks, dragged out...and most of all, most don't have any decent plot.

So yea, the way harem is generally done made me hate them. I know I shouldn't judge based around that, but really, out of a thousand there is probably only one or two which I found actually worthwhile to be a harem. The rest which I felt were good as stories, I just felt the harem aspect of those stories were a bit extra...kinda like fillers and shit.

So no, simping is not the only reason one might hate harem. It's also because of how shit the general harem troupe in animes and mangas are done that people simply grow tired of it.

Loni4ever and Dr_H_16 like this.
  10. Terepi

Terepi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why can't we just have a MC who doesn't include everyone in their harem? I can't think of a harem novel with a recurring platonic female friend, or one with a MC who just has sex without it being a huge deal. Most MC's are too beta to just say "Hey, We've been together for a while, let's have sex." I can't think of a novel where the harem member doesn't start things off, with the exception of FFF Class TrashHero (or a few novels with the R*pe, revenge, or Sexual Cultivation Technique tags, but that's too dark for my tastes) but I would love to be proven wrong.

11. Emmyy

Emmyy Kadupul flower* blooms at midnight*dies at dawn

Reading List:
    Link
    Does a Warlord really need a slogan? Haha

12. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    Try reading Arifureta
    MC just can't win against the first wife, still have time for the other wife and the first wife approved

13. jersanxx1

jersanxx1 『Lost Toy』『Mostly Lurking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Really tho, after the simp meme trend exploded beyond recognition, the word "simp" is used beyond recognition.
    Defending a good woman's dignity? SIMP.
    Defending a wh*re? SIMP.

Seriously, as long you take a stance with a woman regardless she's good or not, there's still someone on the internet who will call you a simp. Even though that fucking someone doesn't have a smidgen of clarity in the word "simp".

I'm not a Harem hater, but still, who the fuck would read a story with one-dimensional personality with predictable outcomes unless you want to dumb out your brain cells, of course.

Even in IRL, At the very least, I would like a woman to have good personality, not some loose hoe who bangs other guys every other day. Unless you cuckold fetish, you should stop having a serious relationship with a loose hoe.

OP above sounds like a virgin who'd bang anything that's bangable appearing his front door. I'd even double-take if that ever happen to me in IRL. mating with condoms? sure. If you want raw, go find someone else, I'm too young to have HIV(that would inevitably go AIDS). Especially in my region that has new cases of HIV every now and then.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Dr_H_16 likes this.
  14. hmz

hmz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    personally i dont like if the harem members have sisterlike bond,
    it would be interesting if in a male protagonist novel the harem members scheme a lot and the household is full of jealousy, poisoning, and miscarriage like most transmigration palace harem novel with female protagonist

CosmicInsomniac likes this.
  15. mechamecha

mechamecha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There Will Always be Protagonists With Delusions of Starting a Harem

Loni4ever likes this.
  16. Alexios Blake

Alexios Blake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just a question I’ve been hearing that word lately a lot but what is a simp?

17. siegream

siegream New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes and no, I have no problems with discussing the validity of harems in novels, but after years of reading webnovels and lightnovels I don't anticipate seeing non-one dimensional characters in novels. If I see a novel with good characters and development, great and if not oh well it will at least help me pass the time.

18. Prince of Sadness

Prince of Sadness Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Simp was actually used as the correct term in this

You sound like someone who got called a simp one too many times :giggle:

and you make too many assumptions, good way to tell someone is low IQ

RarestProGamer likes this.
  19. RarestProGamer

RarestProGamer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    tell me about it, by other post is full of people like this. They just seem to love putting words in your mouth that you have never said and implied!

20. frozenlimabeans

frozenlimabeans Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a simp, I just wanted to ask: What KIND of harems do most people actually prefer?

Like I've read harem novels, both good and bad. But like, there's a weird amount of "powerful guy attracts every female that lays eyes on him" or "wimp Otaku is actually overpowered and oblivious to his love interests." And I've seen many people bash those novels (harem lovers/haters).

So like, are people actually into that or are they reading those types of novels cause they're mainstream and its hard to find a quality one?

Just a curiosity

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.