Spoiler A Stepmother's Märchen

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by twistingfeelings, Jul 28, 2019.

1. shanarock

shanarock Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you so very much for your wonderful spoiler! Your kind soul has saved me from peering into those wall of mtl wiki pages that damaged my hard-learned grammar :blob_grin: I do look forward to your other spoiler of their honeymoon!

A bit sad that Jeremy just gave up on Shuli so quietly. 2 heartbreaks in both lives! The boy deserved lots of love.

2. KathyClysm

KathyClysm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm pretty sure the secret police would be called Streife (pronounced shtraife...), which is the German word for a police patrol unit.

Märchen, especially the German ones, also tend to be fairly brutal and bloody. For example, in the original version of sleeping beauty, she woke up from her slumber because she was in the process of giving birth after the prince had raped her. So yeah, even with all the tragedy, the title is still pretty fitting.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  3. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for clarifying. I used the meaning provided by Google but it's good that you expanded on it.

Ariawolfgar likes this.
  4. LockedPuppet

LockedPuppet From the void, the circus horns~

Reading List:
    Link
    Quite frankly that was beautiful.
    I really liked the interactions the siblings had with Nora btw and he really didn't hold back, did he? I guess it makes sense too, he's well aware of Shuri's true self at that point. About his dad, is his relationship elaborated upon any more than that? I don't imagine they're on speaking terms either.

Yeonee, Khadz, dindi and 6 others like this.
  5. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    Me on the latest release:

First part: Nora smiled! Nora SMILED! It was a beautiful smile! It was worth every stressful thing I had last week!
    2nd part: my younger Asian self whenever I tried to talk to my parents.
    End: :(:(:(

6. Reita_360

Reita_360 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    More spoilers please!!! This is really a good novel! ❤️

7. InTheEther

InTheEther Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Gotta feel for Shuli, getting jerked around and embroiled in all sorts of troubles just because she happens to look weirdly similar to a dead woman.
    Thanks for the 1st timeline spoilers. It really does kinda verify that Nora and the kids are the only ones who actually really care for Shuli.

The Duke and the King are only kind and attentive to her because of her resemblance to the 1st empress. The duke would have probably acted to help preserve his old friend's estate regardless, but he wouldn't have tried to help Shuli specifically if her appearance was different. When you really think about it, its actually kinda toxic and unfair to her to treat her as a surrogate for someone who it seems she is not even really like outside of looks. Even Nora's mother seems to fall into that same type of thinking. Its also implied in the manga that the Cardinal's issues with Shuli also at least partially stem from him transferring his lingering feelings towards the empress onto her lookalike.

As for Theo, I doubt he was ever really in love with her. Rather, he's the kind of toxic person who can't be happy unless he's demonstrably better than those around him. The original thing with him shifting the blame onto Nora was probably stereotypical childish deflection, but it seems like he kind of got addicted to the feeling of being superior. I got the impression from the manga that that wasn't the only time he purposefully made Nora look bad so that he could be favorably compared. Even in his interactions with Jeremy, despite being "friends" his behavior seems kind of pandering to me. His interest was probably peaked by her resemblance to his mother, but I think his real interest in her is as something that is valued by others. The king and duke value Shuli via misplaced affection, Nora's starting to fall for her, and the children now all openly care for her as a big sis/mother figure. She's also finding her place in society much better this time around. So, since these people in his social circle place value on her, if he gets her then he wins. That also falls in line with his later actions, his method of winning her being to break the relationship between her and the children. Contrast Nora fully accepting her close relationship with them and (if I'm remembering spoilers right) being cool with waiting for all the legal matters to be squared away and the children largely getting settled before they get married.

I really wish we knew more about the 1st empress. I kinda get the feeling that she's not as great a person as the previous generation makes her out to be. She probably wasn't a terrible person per se, but there are plenty of character traits that seem great and fun at first, but as you mature you start to realize how problematic they are (like being friends with a fun carefree person, but eventually you start to realize that they're irresponsible). But since she died young, before those problematic character traits caused real problems, she gets remembered with rose colored glasses.
    Admittedly, part of that assumption is because I really actually like the 2nd empress. She falls into the same treating Shuli and a 1stEmpress minime mindset as the others, but she seems to be the only one of that generation to snap out of it and see Shuli as her own person. And I like her flippant attitude towards her position. Openly hating the rigid formal rules and gleefully pointing out the severe limitations of the supposedly powerful position. Then subtly treating the king in contempt like 'I'm not going to pretend to respect you when you're this hung up on a woman who wasn't near as good as you make her out to be'. I'm inclined to believe her dislike for the 1st empress had some basis outside of the usual 2nd inferior wife jealous of her predecessor trope.

8. KathyClysm

KathyClysm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The last translated chapter reeeeally got to me to. This story is so incredibly well written. What the Duke is doing is horrible, but it is also so incredibly common in parents, even those who mean well. Just so incredibly realistic, and poor Nora looked so raw when Shuli gave him a pepp talk.
    It takes a specially gifted author and an incredibly talented artist to put something as delicate as these feelings to "paper".

Marie_0720, pml24, augacutan and 16 others like this.
  9. Zeref_96

Zeref_96 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does someone know why did shuli have a restart? I mean why could she go back in time? is there any explanation in the novel?

Jukki likes this.
  10. LockedPuppet

LockedPuppet From the void, the circus horns~

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey so does anyone have anymore details on the story?

What happens to the Pope (or was it archbishop?) in the 2nd timeline? Also does Shuri ever learn about what happened after her death or is that a flashback only?

11. Yuri1993

Yuri1993 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How did the children realized that the stepmother loved, cared and protected them on the first timeline? Since they were really angry at her, right? What made them realized that? It seems that Jeremy was aware of the misunderstanding before he's wedding but didn't take action/ make it clear until the stepmom died. Can you spoil me?

12. mademnoiselle

mademnoiselle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is the spoiler from what i read in the ending + extra chapter.

1. On the jeremy’s wedding day, jeremy talked to shuri. Only them. Jeremy thanked shuri for raising him well. And then he said “so thank you, mother” IM CRYING PLS

2. Then shuri replied “thank you too, my golden eldest child”

3. Jeremy: “are you sure i’m still a golden eldest child?”
    Shuri: “huh? absolutely”
    Jeremy: “really? more than michael?” fyi michael is shuri and nora’s children
    Shuri: “are you comparing yourself to your-six-year-old brother? seriously?”
    Jeremy: “no, i’m not comparing....”

i laughed so hard!

4. Because our Jeremy is getting married, Shuri is crying, Jeremy is crying too! Then Elias said “mom, don’t be sad! i’m still here! i’m a long way from getting married! no, maybe not at all!”
    Anyway, shuri and nora have 2 childrens. One is michael two is Lora (cmiiw) i forgot.

On the jeremy’s wedding day, jeremy and nora + elias as usual are having quarrel~

Shuri, Nora, and their childrens are sitting and smiling towards Jeremy. Jeremy is nervous before taking an oath. Nora is smiling to Jeremy!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Ahmya, M30WWWW, lylac and 125 others like this.
  13. rock.doll

rock.doll Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

THANK YOU A LOT! HAPPY ENDING, YAY! :blobparty:

Btw, who's the lady Jeremy is marrying? :blobsmilehappy:

MarBoh and Sitron17 like this.
  14. rock.doll

rock.doll Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now thinking, Shuri/Shuli may be the most influential/powerful woman in the empire as...

1. previously marchioness now duchess of TWO most powerful families in the empire
    2. the mother of the 'Empire's Golden Lion/s' (and grandma of future generation)
    3. the wife of the 'Empire Black Wolf' (and mother, then grandma of future generation)
    ...and other good stuff she did and is famous for.

I mean... TOTAL BOSS GIRL! :blobangel:

15. mademnoiselle

Reading List:
    Link
    Jeremy is marrying Diane

Plumpuppeach, Reeka98, aydh03 and 9 others like this.
  16. TsukiSetsu

TsukiSetsu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What was Nora's reaction when Shuili was pregnant? I really love couple moments :blobsmilehappyeyes:

17. Lilypadkero

Lilypadkero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Who's Diane?? I don't remember anyone mentioning that character before. :blob_tilt:

lan2001h and MiserableSOUL like this.
  18. Awkward_h

Awkward_h Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this a new character that's getting introduced?? If so what happens to Ohara?

19. mademnoiselle

Reading List:
    Link
    Its a new character. If i’m not mistaken on translate she’s from Anemone family but i’m not so sure, because i do mtl

20. mademnoiselle

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohara is married to Elias