Character Stuff and Topology

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bitter Sweet, May 10, 2020.

?

So how was your day?

1. It was good!

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Could've been more interesting.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I wish it didn't happen.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. *passed out*

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  5. It wasn't the best, but I think it's getting better.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. My brain was melted.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Bored.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Mortal, it's 1000 years too early for you to ask that! I use my UNO reverse card!

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bitter Sweet

Bitter Sweet 『Gomi Delivery Service』

Reading List:
    Link
    Un ja. So being bored, I thought-
    'Eh. How about I work on that character I drew eons ago? Sure I can't draw well unless the stars align, but I can at least make a model with it. Probably.' And so I got to work with references and tutorials.

It's been the first day of turning this:
    image0.png

Into an avatar for VRChat and a model I can animate!

I don't really have much to work with but it's fine since I'm just making a base model. This being my first time making a character (model), it took 5~6 hours for the face and my eyes are numb now. And so I've ventured into NUF for any thoughts on it. Did I get the shape of the face about right? Are the eyes not straight enough? Is the head too long? Stuff like that is what I'd like to know!

If anyone has an idea for the clothing design I'd appreciate the opinion. At the moment the current plan amounts to: 'Something along the lines of a uniform... Yeah... Maybe not a sailor uniform though. Something frilly might also work.'

Here's the current face:
    Day 1.PNG
    VL Side 1 Comp.png

I still need to polish it since there's some bad edge flow and artifacts. And well... Retopo will kill me if I don't fix this before subdividing the mesh! The current materials (color and shading) is temporary too. The neck... I'll worry about later. Yep.

As for who the character is... Mmm... Lesh Voeux? I made that up from the first letters of loli vampire just now and I kinda like it.

Encased below is a rant with random stuff if someone wants it.
    Ya'knowww, while taking the pictures of it for this post I kept going- "Oh no! She has a crooked nose!" or "Ah! the head is shaped weirdly when viewed from above!" and "Nooo! This edge flow is making it awkward to make a loop cut!"

Ah well, I'll work on it more later today.

It's also difficult to resist playing with it, ya'know. I mean:
    poke (1).png
    It's like playing with clay! Sure, when she's finished she'll probably jump out of the screen and kill me for this- but I think some of the expressions I've seen made it worth it. Un.

As for the topology of her face:
    Topo.PNG
    I realllllyyyyy need to fix her eyes. They get in the way of the edge flow and jumble everything all over the place. This makes it hard to add more geometry to smooth things out. Also her chin rubs me the wrong way.

I'm gonna have to add in some triangles too in order to stop the edge/face/thing loops in some places. What I mean by that is that I can select a row of faces on the mesh, and that ends up weird where there is bad topology. The mouth could use some touch ups too.

I know it's not going to be perfect but so long as I try and get rid of anything I know is bad, it'll at least be decent.

Also, if you want to try CG stuff in blender or whatever- You can do it!
    It doesn't require much for you to make a background or scene. Like this audio-visualizer-flower-thing I made for a video.
    0003comp.png
    It would only take about 1 hour to 30 minutes and a tutorial for a beginner to make it. Probably.
    Here's the video that helped me.

Ducky 3D has lots of easy and quick tutorials to make neat stuff.
    Royal Skies LLC is also pretty helpful.

Also, sorry if this doesn't belong in general chat! I kinda just clicked post new thread without thinking about it too much and so here it is!

2. animestar411

animestar411 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I saw the topology and freaked. The nightmares I had in that class.

3. Bitter Sweet

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, it makes me think of a doll with a net cast over it. Kinda weird.

4. animestar411

animestar411 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhhh i was talking about Intro to typology. An upper division math class. The one with all the proof and wat nots. I dont remember any dollsq

5. Bitter Sweet

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, I thought you were talking about how the mesh looks in edit mode.