Discussion Does polygamy in western settings actually exist?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by lnv, May 11, 2020.

?

Does polygamy in western setting actually exist?

1. Yes

36 vote(s)
    73.5%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    26.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Legal polygamy is rare, both in the modern day and throughout western history. As Wikipedia so aptly puts it, however, “de facto” polygamy is not at all as rare. Mistresses may not be legal wives, but fuck if you can call yourself monogamous when you have a few.

Mistresses aside, western nobility were apt to dispose of wives they no longer desired and seek replacements, rather than marry multiple women at once.

More because of hereditary positions of authority rather than the law, I’d think. That’s probably one of the major reasons why mistresses were not wives.

———————————
    Edit — Whoops! Seems I fell in with the crowd who misunderstood the opening post to be asking about historical polygamy among western nobility. My bad.

And you’re right. Apart from the main character, I almost never see polygamy practiced by any non-villainous character in any novel, manga or anime. This is something ONLY the main character gets to be a part of.

Edit 2 — One thing I like about Harry Potter fanfiction is that fanfic authors like to pair Neville with Susan and Hannah, as their own little romantic trio. It’s common enough that I basically consider it my head canon at this point. There was also a nice one by Rorschat’s Blot that gave Neville like a hundred girls, all just so grateful after he killed Snape.

2. Azninvasion

Azninvasion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait are you talking historically? As many early European nobleman had concubine, mistress or multiple wives, it wouldn't be unlikely for early written western/european works to have polygamy show up within them.

3. YururuWell

YururuWell New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll take the real-life perspective of "western setting" on this one. Medieval era as the limit. TL;DR at the bottom.

Considering they're two main forces that defined what we today refer to western society, seems fitting to start with the clash of the Roman empire with the Christian faith. From Jesus' ministry (c27-30) up until the Council of Nicea (325), there was the Early Church, still deeply rooted in Jewish traditions, wherein polygamy was a mainstay, as seen in the many Old Testament nonchalant quotes to it. The Romans, however, were pretty strictly marriage-monogamous (quaint that the civ born out of large-scale rape would turn out like this, but I digress).

Already in the New Testament there was some debate that, strict interpretations aside, generally showed some disdain to the practice. By the end of the Early Church era, most of the big names (like St Augustine) were out denouncing it as fornication, not marriage. The topic that will haunt it all for centuries coincides with this era: divorce is not lawful by the church, and therefore is essentially polygamy to its eyes.

By the early Middle Ages (we got there bois), after the fall of Rome, customs clashed around Europe a bit, and a general consensus arrived that divorce might be maybe sometimes but not always okay if one's partner (reading: wife) is adulterous. Also, back to the main point, this was the high time of bridenapping among the continent's cultures (not a war's large-scale, kidnapping a woman, forcing her into marriage, having kids). This is usually the time in which big boy rulers would take multiple wives, since who would stop'em? Popes are figureheads.

From here on out though, they decided to rarely allow divorces, essentially only to highly influential kings and Emperors. The tribal and/or unchristian parts of the world (old Ireland, the viking Norse, the Tengri, Romuva, Slavs, Suomenusko...) still held their customs of concubinage, but that might not fit with the standard fantasy medieval setting, which is rarely inspired in pagan societies. By 1200-1300, the Norse were largely cristianized and concubinage prohibited, while a bunch of northern Crusades made sure little Paganism was left.

TL;DR: Turn of the millenium? Yeah, everyone, except Rome & Greece. Early medieval period (476-800)? Yeah, mostly by tribal, and/or pagan societies, or you know, whoever didn't give two shits about the Pope at the time. High to late middle age (1000-1500)? Why bother? Get excommunicated and/or crusaded ye simp. Hope the Pope's particularly Machiavellian or financially destitute and you might get a divorce.

Dr_H_16, renuac and flannan like this.
  4. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    The state not agreeing doesn't mean that christianity obliged it(monogamy), said so in some chapters yes, but didn't oblige monogamy, the state is another thing, and you can make a search for example here or as mentioned in the book of Genesis 4:19; 16:1-4; 29:18-29 (polygamy is accepted here as in marriage) that is why polygamy is accpeted in christianity, now you might say the state didn't accept it but, the thing is, the state is promoting best practices (because Adam and Eve are one man and one woman thus monogamy) in the name of christianity and there is a difference

Edit: I noticed that my comment was a bit ambiguous in some parts so I corrected it, apologies @icerror :blobsweat:

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2020
    icerror likes this.
  5. Viken

Viken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the time of 'Great Kings' and Emperors in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, yes it was common for nobility and royalty to have multiple wives (or even husbands). In later periods it was almost a requirement for royalty to have mistresses, in order to insure they had successors in case of an accident.

Sad as it is to say, you have to understand that the mortality rate for young kids was something like 1 survivor in 8 births. Access to fresh water and fresh food was hard to come by in large portions of the world too, so health issues were always a problem along other such things. So in order to secure prosperity, a family had to be big in such a way.

Now, in the west things went off-kilter with the rise of monotheistic religion. Particularly Roman Catholicism, but even modern Islamic traditions have done away with polygamy as a general rule too. This is a issue of social engineering that's become 'common sense' in the modern era, and morals.

Someone mentioned something earlier that most kings or royalties that people know about today have never had more than a single 'wife' or husband in the relationship. More specifically, if you look at figures like Henry the 8th, where he was happily married until his first wife miscarried then went on to break with the Catholic Church, you can see where the overlapping of social norms and religion were standing in the way of the 'Royal Prerogative'. Since the Pope refused to allow him a divorce, he went on to separate England from the Church in order to rectify that problem. Henry NEEDED a male heir, both to continue his House but also to buffer his own prestige. A monarch without kids was not a good thing during those times.

runsing likes this.
  6. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    My comment is a bit religious and might be a problem for the forums.

No idea if "Islam" is western since its very much west to where i'm at but they do have some polygyny or something. Wikipedia says its true so maybe?
    No offense to any Muslim's here.

7. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Laurel K. Hamilton gets published, so yes ;)
    I is rare in western literature largely because of the bibe thumpers and moral outragers having to much sway on cultural norms and values, but does exist.

8. Trov

Trov Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not that polygamy is something common, it's just something allowed.
    However in order to have a harem you need to be powerful/rich/influential enough to support them. The reason you don't see every Tom, Dick, and Harry have one is because the common man usually can't support more than one wife. The bigger the harem, the bigger the requirements of providing for them will be. The Main Character of a story usually fulfills these requirements the further the story progresses so naturally he gets one. But you won't see every guy get one unless they are extremely powerful.

9. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Chaotic Sword God says hello.:blobphone:
    MC's father has multiple wives. MC's relationship with his half-siblings and stepmothers actually plays a significant part to early arc of the story, and it continues paying its part here and there all the way to ~c1600.

i seem to vaguely remember MC from Tian Long Ba Bu having difficulties in his love life, thanks to his father being too womanizing in his youth, so several of jade beauties turns out to be his sister. but i could be wrong (my memory of it is quite hazy, except for certain events). it has been more than a decade since i read it afterall.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    Westeller likes this.
  10. Defiring

Defiring Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Both women came to know each other and didn't mind. He had a thing with the first woman at the same time, as well.

11. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    huh?
    on fiction wn Sevens, fith generation have 4 or five wive, sixth generation have three~ it also mentioned noble usualy marriage by politic so kinda normal after they have children for house continuity then have affair ehem lover~

consider marriages among noble is about connection, raise of prestige, influence and such then logical explanation why most just have one wife while multiple lover, wife or wife house on similar power if not it higher ofcourse there may exception~ hence if da husbando wanna have another waifu good luck try to convince da waifu family~ unless da waifu cannot bear children then it mean or da waifu house power way lower than husbando~ nada you expect some bloodbath~ beside repercution from ehem multiple waifu maybe not so good~ hey noble really care about face!

about noble, king or merchant have one alive waifu ehem wife~ put on mind it kinda rare on such story flashing other family or household condition~ heck how many times you meet da Queen? while prince or princess as many as star on sky~
    another point da good noble somehow feel in love toward da waifu like purfect romance~ really weird

12. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    All the otome game novels and some of the low fantasy western medieval novels had many nobles practising polygamy.

13. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, but this was subverted in the end because he found out that HE actually wasn’t his fathers son, so all of those girls were still boneable.

runsing likes this.
  14. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    "the cripple that was supposed to be the rightful king" incident, wasn't it?

15. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Your cat must be bored~

16. firefox1234

firefox1234 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually they cite that XYZ's mother is a mistress of a noble but formally having more than one official wife is rare in western settings. The only one I can think of are Hachinan tte, Sore wa Nai Deshou! and Isekai Tensei Soudouki.

17. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    A. Nope. It's just the author wants a convenient plot xd
    B. You could say that, yes. But it is called a Light novel for a reason xd
    C. Ofc not. The author won't go that far. The author usually would show one or two nobles have a lot of wives.
    D. I think it's more like the MC doesn't care about it. A lot of LN use a 1st person perspective. And our mentality usually ignored other people's life subconsciously if it doesn't have anything to do with them.

Ofc. Polygamy is something done not only by Nobles, but also commoners in western culture. It's just that most people won't be able to afford the kids and the wives, so only rich merchant commoners would have 2nd or so wives. Or even concubine.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  18. Gitami

Gitami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mormon fundamentalists still engages in polygamy, although the main sect was pressured into disavowing it and excommunicate any practitioners.
    There are laws still in some US jurisdiction that illegalizes any non family male cohabitation with more than three females. Doesn't matter if they are in a relationship or not, just the appearance of harem is enough.

19. flannan

flannan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This reminds me of Isekai Smartphone. They tell him that it's normal for royalty and nobility to have multiple wives, but very few royals actually have them. And the ones whom I remember actually having multiple wives were not European-styled (the Beast King of pseudo-middle-eastern Mismede and the king of some tropical islands). And the MC, of course - 9 wives, 1 self-proclaimed mistress and a few perverted maid androids.
    On the other hand, when MC tried to bluff his way out of talking about his family, people around him decided that his entire family tree was full of harems, and even the MC can't count all of his relatives.

Well, it's actually reasonable. There is not much meaning to having more than one wife, unless you're some kind of tentacle monster. But the amount of trouble having three wives (and three mothers-in-law) brings is not worth it. Even in countries where it's allowed to have more than one wife, few people actually do it.

20. Fishy_MC_FishMan

Fishy_MC_FishMan The Fishiest of Fishes

Reading List:
    Link
    The most obvious reason why polygamy would be both common, and accepted, would be a massive gender imbalance with many more females then males in the society. The imbalance could be because more men are dying for some reason, or that more woman are being born. Since most of these stories take place in fantasy worlds it would be easy to just say that in this world three woman are born for every man, or some such ratio. You don't even really need to explain why, but if you want to explain it would be easy enough to say that it's will of god, the demon king's cures or some such bull. Anyways I think doing things this way would really solve a lot of the problems in the Isekai harem genre.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.