Does anyone sleep on the ground or on Futons?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Deleted member 41274, May 12, 2020.

1. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Are any Japanese in this forum or people who have been there and know more about the sleeping habits there? Correct me if I am wrong, please, but I think they sleep on Futons. I'm just curious, because I like sleeping on the hard ground, when it's even and my body doesn't sink into some matress. You know what I mean right? The futons you see in anime. Anyway, I like a lot of things in Japan. They are really clean, Japanese take there trash home and have probably the cleanest country in the world as a result. China is kinda polluted, I imagine that jogging there with that air ain't really fun.
    The food in Japan is great, the life expectancy too and the fish and beef.
    It's a beautiful place with temples and shrines and beautiful nature. People there seem nice too. They would rather commit a lot of suicide instead of commiting a lot of homicide. That sounds kinda hard, I just thought it's nicer if you don't hurt others.
    But marriage seems not to be a thing the generation there seems to do a lot. I heard there population is decreasing because many men there are single and have pressure, so they want to get a good carrier first before they get married and kids, which is a logical thing to do. That was some random 1 am thoughts. Yes, back to the starting question.

Gin_Hindew and blues86 like this.
  2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    But I like my bed :hmm:

3. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually, you would only sleep on a futon in washitsu (Japanese style room), so you would be sleeping on top of a tatami which is different from a hard type of flooring. There are different kinds of futon and the one you sleep on is just like a soft mattress, called shikibuton. The duvet is called kakebuton. Not all apartments have tatami rooms anymore. The rule of thumb is that for western-style rooms, one will use a bed. I slept on a futon in the last place we rented in Tokyo and it was very comfortable.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    imK, Havisu, AMissingLinguist and 4 others like this.
  4. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Know nothing of Japanese futon culture, but I sometimes like to lie down on the ground.

I've slept many times on the roof in my hometown. The stars are just too soothing. It's just that the gravels and constant insect raids makes it hard to sleep.

I'd take a guess, the futon is just a traditional reference and don't think many follow it, when you got a bed why waste it XD.

But daily I think I'll never get used to it.

asriu and Llamadragon like this.
  5. Senros

Senros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mhm, I've been trying it for the past few days. I can sleep reasonably well on the floor (not futon, just two carpets, because of weird landlord and a bedsheet.) What I have found is that I can simply just continue to sleep, because I'm to lazy to wake up. On my bed I can probably squeeze another 4 hours of sleep if I really wanted to, on the floor maybe an hours max and that would be pushing it. It's like after my body had enough rest it starts saying, "I had enough of this shit, so wake the fuck up!"

6. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd like to try sleeping in zero gravity. :hmm:

7. forecast

forecast [Batoto Veteran] [sakurahana veteran]

Reading List:
    Link
    I have to say that green thing distracted me.

I slept on a bamboo bed before. Does that count?
    I like a bed more though but I can sleep on most things as long as it doesn't move. i.e. watterbed,hammock and the like.

blues86 likes this.
  8. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    As a kid, I used to sleep on the ground during summer, bcoz back then we had no ac, load shedding was a common occurrence everyday, and the floor was really nice and cool since my apartment was on the ground floor. I would still be sweating buckets, but at least the mattress would be spared.

Gin_Hindew and blues86 like this.
  9. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    Just a fun fact, in zero gravity, sleeping is no different than standing, the only difference is wether you are asleep.
    Edit: Because without gravity to tell you up from down, there is no such thing as "lying down" you might as well sleep on the wall or ceiling by strapping yourself, or just hover midair.

Ishmael, imK, Havisu and 1 other person like this.
  10. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do. My room contains one of those tatami panels. It's not soft enough alone though. My futon is one of those memory foam mattress topper.

Havisu and Ignus like this.
  11. blues86

blues86 [Pickle's numba wan follower]

Reading List:
    Link
    I slept on the floor a few times but with soft mattress. I tried with only a carpet and woke up in pain:sweating_profusely: Hard mattress is still better than hard floor :blobjoy:

imK and AMissingLinguist like this.
  12. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    I've slept on a rug floor with a futonmodoki (just a duvet covering the floor), does that count? (One of the rooms in a house I stay at occasionally has a covered floor and it feels so nice... Don't know if it's carpet or something else though)

imK likes this.
  13. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oi, you use the forum for enough time by now to get this right. Put this GIF in your signature within a spoiler, it's a pain to scroll through the thread with this big of a GIF in it.

14. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    when I was a kid we didn't have enough money to buy beds so we would sleep on straw made bed the straw would be cut into tiny pieces and would be filled into a sheet almost like a over sized bean bag.

Deleted member 41274 likes this.
  15. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer bed and it must come with at least 4 pillows. Preferably a body pillow for hugging. I love having pillow between my feet for rubbing?? purpose. My feet need the frictions.

16. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    Japanese food is great?
    You surely are joking right? What do you expect from a civilization that think raw fish is their cultural heritance?
    Their sweets are kinda decent though

Their people are nice?
    Holy shit, so we pretend WW 2 never happened?

Back to the question

I like sleeping on the floor with just a thick blanket
    I don't know, can it be considered a futon?

Ignus and Gin_Hindew like this.
  17. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I take it someone has never heard of steak tartare or steack à l'Americaine lol.

Deleted member 41274 and imK like this.
  18. Catbell

Catbell Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I used to visit my family in Korea I feel that I only slept on hard surfaces xD
    One house the bed is legit the floor (albeit not as hard as wood, but still pretty hard), with just a few blankets as padding, with the other house having a stone bed lol. I never had a hard time falling asleep, and when I was younger I would always fall asleep on my not-so-soft carpet and hardwood floors so maybe I'm just used to it.:blobReach:

Deleted member 41274 likes this.
  19. CallMeJolea

CallMeJolea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My boyfriend is trying to convince me to change beds and he wants a futon or something short but I hate the idea of sleeping too close to the ground, I don't know why. However I prefer read sitting on the ground.

20. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I would love to toss my bed out and get a futon, but unfortunately, it's too much of a pain to haul the frame out of my house...