Do you think i'm heartless?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by wantek, May 12, 2020.

?

Yes or No

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Neither(give me your opinion)

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. wantek

wantek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, its been a long time in the past its happening.
    I got home in the afternoon, and my neighbor almost got hit by a car right in front of me.
    At glance she didn't get any external wound but maybe she got shocked and fell unconscious, the daughter came up and hugging her while asking help, crying.
    There's a public small hospital right beside me, less than 100 metre from both of them, but maybe she's in panic she just crying there, none of us tried to move her to the hospital.
    The accident feels like something unreal back then, like something happen inside a TV show, i just go to my home and do my usual daily activities.

Later, its known that my neighbor died(heart attack maybe?)
    I dont feel any regret nor remorse, but i cant forget the daughter cries even now if i met her coincidentally.

So, tell me, do you think i'm heartless, is it normal to react like me if its you?
    I've tried to think why i do that back then, one of the conclusion is when something happen in your ordinary life, but you cant cope it and just do your daily doing and ignore it subconsciously; or maybe this shows i lack something inside, which scared me sometimes... (insert kotomine kirei here)

Martialegg likes this.
  2. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Either that or you're too lazy to think,
    And honestly I don't know which of those is worse

wantek and Sabruness like this.
  3. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What part of heartless do you see in this sentence?

You have been desensitized to death and violence from people you don't think of as dear to yourself. It's a pretty common thing that has been happening ever since dehumanization began in modern society. Take note that by no means you are or will be heartless, you are but human after all.

nyamachi and wantek like this.
  4. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    heartless? no. Lazy of thought and perhaps a little self-centric? yes, sounds like it.

wantek likes this.
  5. Lynx

Lynx Professional...on lewd matter

Reading List:
    Link
    Naaah, just a normal citizen reaction, don't worry or feels guilty about it, if you're an mc on the other hand....

wantek likes this.
  6. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    I dunno the psychological term, but I called it to be 'cold' or 'Indifferent'.
    Morally speaking, yes you are lacking a specific emotion. It is called 'Empathy'.
    However, I can't really blame you for it. Our society deemed that being empathetic is a weakness. Not to mention the following risk or troubles that follows, without much benefit. 'Playing hero' is often viewed as being stupid by a lot of people. A sad truth of our society.
    The term 'helping' is now only specifically for acquaintance, family, friends, etc.

In China, some people even take advantage of some empathetic person and suddenly robbed them when they're asking for help. This results in a lot of people afraid to help strangers. This really happens when someone got hit in an accident and died of blood loss because no one nearby called the ambulance.

7. apricotsoda

apricotsoda Shy Shy Shy

Reading List:
    Link
    You shouldn't move a patient without any medical personnel even if it looked like a "minor" injury on the outside.

wantek and ongoingwhy like this.
  8. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    not even bothering to help makes you and the others complete waste of living space.

the fact that less and less people know first aid and most just think "oh the doctors can deal with this" is patheric.
    and another pathetic fact is that people even when helped would sue. fucking waste of life

9. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    To each their own. The very point you are doubting yourself tells you it's not what you think.

I can tell you one thing though, you just made your charisma level go to -n, though you have a valid reason, if you ever speak about it with friends,or god forbid your gf/bf, it might change something so be careful. If you really can't go over then take a session with a therapist.

wantek likes this.
  10. norach212

norach212 Unknown being

Reading List:
    Link
    If such thing happened again in your life (someone got an accident but you aren't sure whether it's something serious or not), would you try to help them?

wantek likes this.
  11. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't know. The assessment can only be done by people who know you, not by random people on the net. It could be that you just froze and unable to deal with this incident at the time. It happens. There's a term called shellshocked where your emotions acted differently from normal due to extreme shock. Some people even ended up laughing at their misfortune like that famous example from WW2.

While it's ideal if you at least attempt to help, most people who live in the cities in the modern world are not used to the idea of 'helping'. Most people live a life of self-isolation and individualistic lifestyle. So the act of going out of their way to help is far out of their set of actions.

There was a famous case of a murder of a businessman by mobsters right in front of the traffic light in Malaysia. The killers were on motorbikes and had everyone banded together, while they couldn't prevent the murder, they could've at least prevented the murderers from running away. Instead, the cars positioned themselves to make way for the murderers to escape on their motorbikes. It's because in their minds, they thought, "Not my problem." It could be what happened to you. In the past, everyone would've chased these motorbikes even on foot.

12. Drake98

Drake98 Concerned Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    thats life. people just cant divide their attention to many things. i think theres a forum here about giving f*ks about something. you are not giving this f*cks to distance yourself from trouble. troublesome matters that completely ruin your day that include maybe going to hospital or disrupt your daily activities. and thats it. you dont want that.

people on here tell something in their views, not yours. if you want to have more hearts then you can think about the daily number of deaths in the world, which is pointless and make you more depressed.
    tldr: its pointless to think about it

wantek likes this.
  13. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    welp. . . .
    so i'm weird for i'll help in case anyone got hurt in front of me. . .

abd hell those are sorry excuse because of this and that that he didn't help,
    do unto others what you want others do unto you. . .

wantek likes this.
  14. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
  15. jersanxx1

jersanxx1 『Lost Toy』『Mostly Lurking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, imo, you aren't heartless as you thought you'd be. If you were, you wouldn't talk about it nor remember it at all.

Still, even you'd return back in time where the accident happened, aside from calling said hospital/clinic or running there for help, you can't do anything more to help the victim anyways since if you don't know jackshit about first-aid, you'd just making her injury worse if unknowingly done some mistakes.

Heartless? No. Apathetic? Maybe? Then again, helping some random strangers hands-on will cost someday. Best thing you could do is help indirectly unless it's your life's worth to save someone(i.e. being a nurse or doctor).

Take this grain of salt from someone who experienced a fucking car accident with me as a victim. Even if the accident happened in public places, most of them treat you as sideshow, and less of them shows genuine concern.

nyamachi and wantek like this.
  16. kuroAnsatsu

kuroAnsatsu Realistically Stoic

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe it's because the difference in culture, but it's saddening that a situation where no ones help someone who's in trouble like that are still happening and considered normal. If that happens on my place, everyone would be worried and at least give the said person a first aid and call for help or bring that person to the hospital immediately. You must be live in a city so it's understandable that the majority of people are individualistic there. And I could understand a bit too, that it must be so sudden and make you went blank for a second. You wanna avoid troublesome things that will come afterwards and pretend like nothing happened.

But yeah something like this sometimes make me grateful that even though I live in a place that's not as advanced and modern as any other places, the people are still warms

wantek and Bright_Lucky_Star like this.
  17. Stormaggeddon

Stormaggeddon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    we as a whole have become desensitized to many things because of the violence we see on a regular basis. i.e, news, movies and tv. it's just become part of daily life. she was your neighbor and she died. that's sad. but you'll mourn her loss in your own way at one point.

wantek likes this.
  18. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a completely different scenario though. If they tried stopping the murderers, they could've been killed or seriously injured.

AliceShiki and Ai chan like this.
  19. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    True, it is a different case. But that would be a big problem if they face them on foot without weapons. Everyone are in their cars and the murderers were on motorbikes. All it takes is a good bump on the side as they tried to run away and both of them would've had their legs broken. After that, mob mentality will take over. The problem is, one person went out of their way to give them an escape route after calculating that it's not worth the effort, and the rest followed.

In the past, this was automatic, there was no thought process involved. You see something bad happen, you go to help, without a second thought. Nowadays in order to help, you calculate the risk and rewards before you help. Whereas before that, risk and rewards didn't even come into the equation. Nowadays, the first automatic thought process is to take out your cellphone and snap a picture.

20. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    you are currently living so I believe you have a heart.