Do you think people should donate their bodies for research?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by pass1478, May 8, 2020.

1. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope. Talking from the knows here there are actually plenty of cadavers made from unclaimed and unidentified bodies from the hospital morgues. Those that make the most cases is when the family sent them to hospital when they're actually unable to afford the cost and when they died in hospital the family member often opt to avoid to pay the cost essentially abandoning the body in hospital custody.

If i actually have some rare conditions that can be subject of studies then i don't mind but otherwise i rather had my body dismantled and returned into the earth rather than it remained. Of course i don't mind if my organs live on as part of someone else if they saved them.

2. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    I forgot to add that most cadavers only used for surgeon study in medical schools.

And there's also another form where a brain dead patients are donated by family for organs, blood farms, and other cellular donations. The body would be kept alive for some times rather than immediately harvested.

Wireath likes this.
  3. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    I've always considered sending what's left of my body to the body farms for those training in forensic anthropology and related fields.

4. Villager Anonymous

Villager Anonymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I could but if I did my family would miss out on an amazing attraction when halloween rolls around.

Wireath likes this.
  5. cap.toon

cap.toon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Big NO.

can’t imagine other messing with my remains. I would rather be burned and scattered.

6. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't see any issues with donating your corpse after you died... I mean, might as well do something useful with it after all.

Wireath likes this.
  7. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I'll only donate a specific organ, like kidney, heart, lung, etc. Please spare me of my balls, brain, eyes, etc.
    I want to be cremated afterwards. xd

8. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    Why not? Not that my body has any use right now...

9. ViburnumDraco

ViburnumDraco Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, not, niet, no, iie, nicht, nie :blobcat_knife:

But seriously. It's depends on perspective, I don't even want for my bacterica to eat me, or even worms. I don't like the idea of someone doing whatever they want to my body.

There was some article about how people in mortuary were having fun with body parts.

I get that medics need some detachment from traumatic environment, but this body was once a person. Reading something like this dosn't make me want to donate my body.

10. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, I wouldn't.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-bodybrokers-industry/

He had cared for his elderly mother, Doris, throughout her harrowing descent into dementia. In 2013, when she passed away at age 74, he decided to donate her brain to science. He hoped the gift might aid the search for a cure to Alzheimer’s disease.
    Ten days later, Jim received his mother’s cremated remains. He wasn't told how her body had been used.

Her brain never was used for Alzheimer’s research. Instead, Stauffer’s body became part of an Army experiment to measure damage caused by roadside bombs.

Internal BRC and military records show that at least 20 other bodies were also used in the blast experiments without permission of the donors or their relatives, a violation of U.S. Army policy. BRC sold donated bodies like Stauffer’s for $5,893 each.

Wireath likes this.
  11. HesheFell

HesheFell [Out of Retirement] [Looking for Recs Everywhere]

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the person. But I know I won't!

12. bloodmage

bloodmage Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No,I wouldnt donate my body for research,furthermore given that I am a Christian I would really like to have my body burried whole.

13. Wireath

Wireath Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm all for it, but I remember reading somewhere (on reddit) about how someone donated their body, and later their children found out it was sold as some target dummy or something.

Also, I believe that there are not that many medical uses for corpses, as it the cells are already dead/decaying by the time they get to researchers. Chances are, it'll take time to get the corpse to a hospital, then more time to figure out where to send said corpse; tack on preservation methods can also destroy or mess up study results as well.

Edit: There was also a comic that had something about this: https://www.webtoons.com/en/comedy/...s-donation/viewer?title_no=853&episode_no=265

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Villager Anonymous likes this.
  14. whitespace

whitespace Member

Reading List:
    Link
    officially? no. Paris already proved that it's a waste of resources and time.

15. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    As I said before on some real shit. My body is no greater than yours and vice versa. Once I'm dead you can have my shit. I wont be using it unless we somehow create a re-animator thing.

Also, I'm ok with human experimentation but not when its shit like the Tuskegee experiment. When experimenting on a person you have to make sure that they're willing, conscience of whats going to happen during and after the experiment and what exactly the experiment is. i.e. if I were to participate in an experiment for turning your eyes different colors I'd like to know if theirs a possibility of me becoming blind.

16. TotallyNotADuck

TotallyNotADuck Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mmmmmmmm I just know that I wouldn't because if I was alive and someone I knew and cared about died I would have wanted to have their body.......to give them a proper burial of course :)

Also who knows if our bodies will be given to some team that is trying to make super humans and our bodies will be the start of the zombie apocalypse