Recommendations Well Structured Long Series in Chinese

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by All The Wrong Novels, May 14, 2020.

1. All The Wrong Novels

All The Wrong Novels Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I started listening to longer chinese webnovel audiobooks while reading along translation as a way to learn to understand spoken Mandarin. The first thing I read was Wu Dong Qian Kun, which I had a lot of issues with, but still found mostly enjoyable and easy to read. I found this site for other things to read, and realized WDQK was kind of low rated compared to other series, so I was hoping other stuff I'd try would be even better. But I found I didn't get as invested in a lot of higher rated series I tried.

One of the things I appreciated about WDQK, is that it felt like it was better planned and structured than a lot of other series. A lot of characters who are important later on, are introduced pretty early, and have significant interactions with the main character, (though the stuff with Ling Qingzhu was trash, but at the very least I was curious about what would happen when she showed up later). Of course there was lot of less important characters and arcs to fill time, and some stuff got forgotten, but generally speaking it felt like it kept building on stuff it set up, and I felt anticipation for where it was going next.

Anyways, certain things people seem to rate novels low for don't bother me as much, I don't particularly mind if they repeat the same basic plot points, or if the main character gets super lucky. I'm wondering if there are other long series that feel well planned out, where the major points are introduced early and developed over the course of things, and it doesn't feel like a bunch of detours and random callbacks that are shoehorned in at the end. If they're lower rated for other reasons, its not necessarily an issue.

So far I've been looking at more Xianxia/Xuanhuan since they can be very long and its easy to find audio for them, but I'd be open to trying other genres too. I realize I can also try the authors other works, but I'd like to try different things first.

Below are some of the other series I already tried with some of the issues I had with them for reference.

Completed

Coiling Dragon - This one was alright, but I wasn't too interested in the early characters, and they often didn't have much relevance even if they stuck around for a while or got mentioned later. The later stuff didn't relate much to the earlier stuff.

Douluo Dalu - The earlier parts were close to making this my new favorite, I really liked the involvement of the side characters, and that the teacher characters had their own drama and issues outside the main character. But later it felt like the author lost interest in the cultivation system and rushed through it while other stuff started coming in out of nowhere, side characters just became one note jokes rather than having meaningful interactions. If this author has other books that are structured better I'd probably be interested to try them again.

Martial World - This kind of felt most similar to WDQK, but the character interactions were almost non-existent and anytime someone had any kind of development they usually dropped to irrelevance soon after. There were some hints about the backstory throughout, but it felt like it didn't develop much until the very end.

Dropped

I Shall Seal the Heavens - I may have dropped this one too early, but I did make it past the chapters people say are boring. Mostly this cultivation system seemed like a complete mess where lots of random stuff kept happening, and there weren't really any characters I was interested in.

World of Cultivation - The beginning of this was perfect, and I really loved this world, but then it seemed like it was going off in too many directions, and I read some reviews that said the characters from the beginning wouldn't show up much or at all later.

Anyways sorry if this is a bit of a rambling/finicky request, but I did try to find stuff on my own only to be disappointed a lot, and so I hope someone knows what I'm getting at and maybe can offer some suggestions I've overlooked so far, or what other genres to look into next.

2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Scholar Occult Cauldron

Scholar Occult Cauldron Bonk Maestro | Ascended

Reading List:
    Link
    Obligatory Invisible Dragon plug.
    It is the greatest masterpiece that can be found on NU.

4. hoppala

hoppala Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well i can say that you are not a veteran at cultivation novels, so its understandable that you droped the 'I Shall Seal the Heavens' cause its rich with the knowlage about dao and shit. its become a mess predy quick for a novice.

its not time to read now. go on and read other light read stuff and when you bored (you will) , give a another shot to 'ISSTH'...