Recommendations Kingdom Building with System

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Doomsday, May 17, 2020.

1. Doomsday

Doomsday Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Recommend me some great kingdom building novel with system.

Requirement:
    - Male MC
    - Great Plotline
    - Preferably has a system (but it’s okay if it doesn’t as long as the story is good enough)
    - MC has attitudes of what a monarch should have (not some goffy duffy dumb dumb that unreasonably kind to everybody, personally i like the style of tywin lannister ”Serve your enemy with steel and fire, and help them who bend the knee.”)
    - Great writing, please, i write this point because i read an original novel in qi (similar kingdom building theme), but damn, the interaction between characters are cringy af and my first impression was “wtf that was not how human interact to each other!”, maybe the author just a clueless teen tho, maybe.

2. Cashew Farmer

Cashew Farmer Fastest horse in the land

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure how you can expect a kingdom building novel with a system to have good writing. Having the protagonist create soldiers and buildings out of thin air makes it incredibly easy for the MC to expand and grow their kingdom.

3. viscocent

viscocent Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try Empresse's Gigolo

hoppala likes this.
  4. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Grandmaster Strategist. It's not really "kingdom building," but it has aspects of it regarding strategy and leading masses, basically politics

No Game No Life (lol)
    Overlord
    Release that Witch
    Godsfall chronicles. It happens quite late in the novel, also a lot of plot convenience regarding the kingdom building.
    It's not just about how the MC will get his/her men, citizens, kingdom, etc. It's also about what the MC will do with it all.

5. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, system doesn't always have to be related to kingdom building itself. (at least he didn't request that, so the system can simply make MC stronger)

That said, you can still have the MC have a system to create things out of thin air and not be easy. For example, there can be conditions for making stuff.

Take The Amber Sword, the MC has to find the cards to summon them, then unseal them, then pay the cost and upkeep.

6. Cashew Farmer

Cashew Farmer Fastest horse in the land

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, I don't think Amber Sword is a good example. I actually quit reading it at the part where it tried to explain a system it ripped off from Magic the Gathering.

7. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    It is a good example just fine, it is a system that lets him grow stronger while also summoning useful subordinates. He needs their cards and he needs Elemental Points of each element to summon and keep them. So the restriction makes it that he can't just summon everything he needs. So it is a combination of using abilities of his own, his summons and making allies.

PS What difference does it make that they use Magic The Gathering as the basis? It's no different than using a generic rpg stats as the basis for a system. There is plenty of creativity and lore in there.