Discussion DMCA takedown by Wuxiaworld

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by FoolishCarp, May 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FoolishCarp

FoolishCarp Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Great to know wuxiaworld considers mtl infringing on their rights.

2. XiaoWenTian

XiaoWenTian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Any confirmation/news from wuxiaworld's staff?

3. KnackHD

KnackHD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lol, it's great how this community change, wuxiaworld starting to be greedy huh. I still remember when Yen Press starting dmca takedown to baka tsuki. Now I read Yen Press novels fanfic and vow to never buy their products.

Gitami and Ghost_Spawn like this.
  4. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    have any of you heard about sources?
    just copy past a link to where you learn the information

Edit after seeing source:
    ok dmca 4 aggregators (good ridance, although it will probably not work) and one mtl site (quality is mtl, as bad as a brain aneurism but still a somewhat dick move although still iin their right)

further info: this is only for google search result and it is quite common
    here: https://lumendatabase.org/notices/search?utf8=✓&term=wuxiaworld&sort_by=
    22 pages of dmca from WW for both aggregators and mtl sites (2nd oldest result is lnmtl), this is just the cost of doing business, either way, it won't affect me (don't read at agreggators or mtl, i don't search for secific novels on google or use google for that matter)

DUCKDUCKGO FOR LIFE

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Kuro_0ni, gheist1234, asriu and 3 others like this.
  5. GuldTasken

GuldTasken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    That was a false accusation; the ones responsible for the mass DMCA were the japanese rightholders (publishers, to be specific). Some people started saying that it was YP's fault, and everytime they were corrected, someone else appeared with no clue and restarted the rumour mill.
    So there are people now boycotting a legal, good, not that expensive, and relatively fast (despite what they say) due to a hoax, which will only make japanese publishers more adamant in pursuing fan translation.

7. Eldau

Eldau And now for something completely different

Reading List:
    Link
    Firstly, any sources?
    Secondly, if WuxiaWorlds license is that they are the sole distributor of the product in english, a DMCA to protect their market share makes sense in two points, one that only their named is tied to the product which I'd assume they strive to have at a decent quality, and two that they don't lose revenue in terms of visitors because the mtl is further ahead.

8. Galison

Galison Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I only boycott the ones yen press did as digital only. If im paying i want paper damn it. I think they changed but for a time some series they just wanted to do digital only.

9. KnackHD

KnackHD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One of my favorite novel Overlord is being released by Yen Press, I don't care who start dmca. What I care who released the goods. And the one who released it was Yen Press.
    I'm not angry because I need to buy light novels, I read novels like wuxia since Jin Yong and Gu long time. I need to buy them and I'm fine with it. I don't like the way they solve problem, and I will boycott Kadokawa to Yen Press and everything in between.

10. FoolishCarp

Reading List:
    Link
  11. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe because it is licenced. Complain all you want, but licence cost money.

12. Guan Zhong

Guan Zhong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, mtl does infringe on their rights if they licensed the novel, because when WW licenses a novel, they are acquiring the exclusive right to publish an English translation of the novel. An mtl version is a second English translation, which infringes on their right to be the only one to publish an English translation of said novel while they hold the license.

Aside from that, the other sites listed there are aggregator sites. WW has been DMCAing those since 2017. Nothing new there.

EDIT: BTW, the DMCA notice posted there looks to be for Google search results. They are DMCing url from showing up in google search results. They aren't asking the host to remove the chapters. That would have to be sent to the webhost, not Google.

checkm8, Gitami, Kuro_0ni and 6 others like this.
  13. FoolishCarp

Reading List:
    Link
    Funny thing is the description of dmca is that we are rehosting their content and that the content is taken from their website. So technically this dmca takedown is false and should be condemned.

Astaroth likes this.
  14. MrPlayer

MrPlayer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think Wuxiaworld has license for Chinese novels. They do have permission from the authors but I don't think they have license.

15. FoolishCarp

Reading List:
    Link
    Sadly it is for Korean novel :(

16. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    It's an MTL site, some aggregators and a fan pdf/epub aggregator. All valid targets if the hold the license for the novel in question

17. MrPlayer

MrPlayer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's true. Can anyone tell me whether they have the license for Trash of the Count's Family because I remember Wuxiaworld having asked comrademao to remove mtls for it from there.

FoolishCarp likes this.
  18. Guan Zhong

Guan Zhong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah it looks like whoever filed that was careless and just used the same paragraph for all the sites. Either way though, if I were you I would remove any WW mtl novels. If they want, all they have to do is DMCA your webhost and then it's up to your host to decide what to do. If they get enough complaints the webhost could shut the whole site down if they wanted to.

aShinyVaporeon and DragonMage18 like this.
  19. DragonMage18

DragonMage18 Outcast

Reading List:
    Link
    This is basicly Wuxiaworld trying to drive those sites out of buisness, by removing them from googles search engine...

FoolishCarp likes this.
  20. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    wow~ ww doing business shit like a company and not a community. what a surprise

asriu, Astaroth and FoolishCarp like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.