Discussion DMCA takedown by Wuxiaworld

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by FoolishCarp, May 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    I love how it comes full circle. Now everyone is happy! :blobhero:

@ me when the drama starts; for now I'll be preparing some popcorn. :blobpopcorn:

AliceShiki likes this.
  2. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    Answer to this seems simple, ask your mtl website to pay the licensing fees so they can host the translations within legal grounds as well. I'm sure that with the amount of ad revenue they earn, it shouldn't be a problem. :cookie::cookie::cookie:

Gitami likes this.
  3. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    wow, the QI 50 cent army is coming up? how come when qi was worse than ww no one come to complain. But now that a proper website is here all come up accusing they are greedy? they leave all chapter for free until they complete the translation and people are still unhappy about it?

4. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Where have you been if you say that no one complains about QI?

5. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    reading novels.....:blobjoy:

DragonMage18 likes this.
  6. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess everyone got tired complaining about QI/webnovel so much they got bored to death

Liyus likes this.
  7. MrPlayer

MrPlayer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you sure WW has the license for all the novels they host?

8. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    noone come to complain? REALLY? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH you must be retarded. hundreds of post spamming the same shit against QI. 24/7 for MONTHS WITH NO END. mods finally grew tired and shut it up into one major thread to keep the spam down.
    fuck off. ww did it the same for years until they built a following and a stable income, then they went company mode and now preach as if they are better. crunchyroll but worse

Ghost_Spawn, MrPlayer and FoolishCarp like this.
  9. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    they do...but i'm not sure about KR novels

10. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    well have you ever heard about "sarcasm"?

11. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    word it as such. since written sarcasm is harder to spot. which Im pretty sure what you wrote isn't sarcasm.

MrPlayer likes this.
  12. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    i was referencing to the 50 cent army, not the other....but well, i just replied because i got called retarded for no reason....

13. Guan Zhong

Guan Zhong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Grandmaster Strategist and the Gu Long novels (Heroes Shed No Tears, 7 Killers, Dragon King with Seven Stars, Horizon Bright Moon Sabre) aren't. Ancient Strengthening Technique wasn't when I left. Dunno if they ever got the license for it afterward. Then there's the 11 "gray zone" novels from Qidian. One can argue whether those count or not.

I would guess that the Korean novels they have there now are licensed and they probably never got the licenses for the ones that have been removed. That's just a guess.

14. thepope

thepope Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah God i real do not want to start it but DMCA works only with companies that have there server or work somehow as company there~USA. Example if I use a French host with the servers in Brazil they can do nothing to my website as it is.
    The other companies that work/are in US and KNOW of the problem ~DMCA need to do everything to be on safe site that's why example google delete the sites from search ...so they can not get sue for collaboration.
    On other hand if one of the companies get your personal data to the FBI and by chance you are in a third country that you are not a citizen of you could get an Interpol wanted poster... in an extreme.

Yeah i know France and Brazil have laws as well but you get not into curt because, formal is it not the right law(DMCA) to be used etc.

15. Guan Zhong

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I used to file DMCAs for WW, I know. The mtl site looks to be hosted in the USA. So.

16. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    where the heck you expect them do buy the license when the author is death 40 years ago, and the publishing house isn't found anywhere...

17. Guan Zhong

Reading List:
    Link
    Speaking generally about MTL, from the translator/publisher perspective, here's why MTL sucks:

Imagine you pay $20k USD for a an exclusive license and then here comes an MTL version. Well that MTL version is now competition to your translation. Even though it's a different tl and not as good as human tl, still there are people who are addicted and impatient and who will ruin their brains to read the MTL version so they can read ahead.

OP, if it were you and you had a license and someone else came along who did not have a licence and put out their own tl, wouldn't you be upset? Would you think that's fair?

There's another thing that can happen with MTL, too: stealing translators' terms. I remember translators on WW complaining about LNMTL because that site was lifting the cultivation terms and place names, etc from their translations and using it in their MTL. Using the translator's skill and work to translate those terms and just plopping them in their MTL. That's not right.

18. Guan Zhong

Reading List:
    Link
    The publisher is 風雲時代 in Taiwan. Or some rights might be with whoever controls his estate now. In any case, I'm not editorializing it, just stating the facts. Those novels aren't licensed.

AliceShiki and MrPlayer like this.
  19. FoolishCarp

FoolishCarp Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then lets look at it from another perspective, what about the already available free machine translators on the web such as google, which lets you translate the whole website page for page? By providing a service that lets them read the machine translation in an easier and managed fashion the mtl sites deserve to be put down?

Yes legally what they are doing is correct but morally as a community that was built on the grey zone, and as the very founder of this fan translation service, do they really have any ground to put down mtlers?

Ghost_Spawn and MrPlayer like this.
  20. Guan Zhong

Reading List:
    Link
    Well Google translate is just a box and the mtl it outputs is only seen by you, not the whole internet, so that's not the same thing.

Your site hasn't been put down, right? Just google search results removed.

As for the morality, we can all decide for ourselves what we think about that. But the reality is that WW is a company, not just a fan site anymore. And they have investors who expect a return. So it would be unrealistic to expect a company not to want to protect their IP.

And your site also hosts ads and has a link to Patreon, so it's not like you're MTLing just for the sake of the community. You're right if you say that WW has no moral high ground since they started out that way too. But you don't either.

In any case, it's the legal grounds that really matter. That's my two cents anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.