Discussion Here's a story about a Flat-Earther dumb blonde refusing to wear a mask in a Cali grocery store.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kadmos1, May 18, 2020.

1. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's a story about a Flat-Earther dumb blonde refusing to wear a mask in a Cali grocery store:
    heavy.com/news/2020/05/shelley-lewis-refuses-mask-gelsons-california-video.

Was it discrimination against her? Uh, not sure about legally, but practically speaking it is or might have been. However, they did offer to shop for her but she refused because, per her, there would privacy-related issues with doing that. Now, she could have easily had a close friend or maybe family member do the shopping. If the store has a on-line version, she could have shopped there. However, ther is still the concern of security/privacy-related issues. when shopping on-line.

While I admit she is sexy, she was acting stupid and that excluding the Flat-Earther part. Big shout-out to that manager for being a professional like that. Were it me, I probably would have given her a literal butt-kicking.

rickymisme likes this.
  2. jgfenix

jgfenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If she really has a issue she should get a medical certificate. Problem solved.

3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    No, a private establishment can do whatever they wish, they can make you wear a mask even if it isn't a pandemic. Unless you have a specific medical condition that doesn't allow it or maybe if there are religious reasons. But even in those 2 cases they can still deny entry as long as they have alternative options such as them offering to buy for her

What privacy issue? If you go to the counter, they know what you buy anyways... there are also cameras all over the stores...

If she wants privacy, she should have just produced the products herself. That way no one would know.

Aquaa, Sabruness, Westeller and 5 others like this.
  4. SleepyFox

SleepyFox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While I admit flat-earthers are dumb, you're acting stupid by using an outdated stereotype like 'dumb blonde'. Like why? Was it necessary to insult everyone?

Stereotypes can be funny when used in jokes, but don't use them when you're trying to make some sort of argument/point/whatever. Stuff like that just invalidates everything you have to say afterwards, imo. So unnecessary...

5. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm. I can see her being defiant about the beach regulations. The government is seriously pushing what they're allowed to do with the regulations, but the grocery store is presumably a private business and can require their customers to wear masks if they want to.

Astaroth and Nightow1 like this.
  6. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    Because she was blonde that was acting stupid.

7. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    You Hairst .

8. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But I can see Fox's point. It just distracts from the issue at hand if you start using slurs like Flat Earther or dumb blonde. It does not help your point when you distract others from it into namecalling. Which both our posts is a good example. You crafted your post in a way that defeats itself by distracting from the main issue.

9. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I wonder if she is really worried or just don't want to wear a mask... what is going on in her head :hmm:

10. Meloonseed

Meloonseed sobble

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh wow. She's apparently a pretty well known flat earther too...
    Maybe she was trying to make a point by posting it online. She seems to be a pretty outspoken person, even if her beliefs are really off the mark.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  11. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    Flat-Earther is not necessarily. If a person believe the Earth is flat, they are Flat-Earther. She was a blond that was acting dumb or stupid, so in at least this story she is a dumb blonde.

12. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no idea how she's sexy have anything to do with stupidity. My neighbor John have abs and Cena is pretty fat. Both are stupid if they did something stupid

Nightow1 likes this.
  13. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    Dumb blondes often can be sexy but stupid.

14. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with that and that you should be able to make "any" rule you want since it's privately owned. But I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually work like that because isn't there that food chain that wouldn't serve Jews or something? Or maybe it was some anti-gay thing. (Iirc they were some kind of Christians)

Honestly I don't remember exactly what it was, but I'm very certain that I've read about how they were not allowed to not accept customers, they literally had to sell even though they didn't want to.

Now I'm not advocating racism/homophobia, but how/why can certain stores be allowed to not let customers in while others are forced to?

Edit: Actually, I googled it (should've done that first lol) and turns out there's laws for that stuff, who would have guessed :blobexpressionless:

"Whether you post a sign or not, businesses never have the right to refuse or turn away customers because of their race, gender, age, nationality or religion." - https://www.business2community.com/...use-service-businesses-discrimination-0766551

Though that brings up another question/reason, no wonder she was claiming to have some medical condition. Or why not just claim to have some religion that forbids masks?

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    asriu likes this.
  15. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    But as you can very clearly see, everyone has stopped talking about her actions and started talking about yours, which is why your OP was self defeating.

16. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The age one seems iffy. I distinctly recall reading about a restaurant that didn't children. Anyway to me the mask would all into the same category of rules that 'no shirt, no shoes, no service' does. You can't just walk into certain places without clothes or shoes and expect service.

17. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure, blame the messenger!

18. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    that interesting law on USA, really interesting cuz imo it can be used various way~ it even may clash of right on belief stuff such as no gay stuff vs gay stuff~ as mentioned on that article religion vs sexual preference perhaps?

anyway based on that article da business owner have da right to decline~
    depend on how it argue~
    currently there pandemic, so safety issue can be used beside da owner give another option not really outright refuse da girl to shopping on it store so this case not a discrimination unless there another prove for discrimination based on gender, religion or something like that~
    even if da girl really said religion forbid da mask then there should be a prove/evidence about it but it may escalate thing cuz on abrahamic religion so far this cat never heard such thing~

19. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Those laws are anti-discrimination or anti-hate laws, meant to prevent discrimination based on... Race, gender, age, nationality or religion. As you quoted. What @lnv was talking about is a business' right to refuse to serve people for other reasons. Businesses do indeed have the right to turn away any customer for almost any reason, with the exception of certain, specific reasons.

20. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    If the messenger F's up, why not? lol.